Tips for clothing

If your going to back pack in and camp look for a boot with more support like the kenetrek and lowa. they are more money than danners but they are designed to pack a heavy load and do really well with a load while crossing rocky or unstable terrain. I will never go back to danners after using these type of boots. Plus they are completely waterproof and come in uninsulated,400 and 1000 gram options. I haved used the 400 gram in 10 degree weather with a heavy sock.
Wow, i cant believe there is a boot more expensive than the danners i just bought. My hunt sounds like not a lot of walking, they take you out and pick you up. My buddy that has went there for the last 15 years says dont over dress mornings are mid 20's to 30 than warms up in the 50's thru the day. However i will have warm clothes. i just received a 7 in 1 parka from cabelas it is the extreme condition one very happy with it.
Mike

Mike, the 300SAUM will handle an elk just fine. I would opt for the 180gr over the 165 if you are still undecided. Thats not to say the 165 wont do the job, but Elk are tough critters that never cease to amaze me and something with a bit extra punch sure can make a difference. The reality of it is go with the bullet you are more comfortable with shooting. I will take an accurate shot with a 165gr bullet over any poorly placed bullet. The last bull I killed was with a 165 Barnes and I wasnt upset with the performance of the bullet at all.
BTW I think you will like those boots. I love mine!

Is it me or is hunting season not coming fast enough?
Thanks after testing im going with the 180 accur bond. What experience have you had with the barnes triple shock? I have never used them before and just picked up a box at cabelas last week because i cant find them local.
Mike

Mike, the last bull I shot was with a Triple Shock. The shot was under 100yds and I got excellent penetration and recoverd the bullet while skinning the elk. The bullet opened up just like you see in the Barnes advertisments and it had excellent weight retention. It was a 165gr TSX and when I got home and weighed it the scale said 165grs. There was a nice wound channel and it was double lung shot so the animal didnt go far(about 20yds). I was pleased with the bullet overall. I have had several elk take a double lung and not even leave a blood trail.
I will say that I didnt get as good of accuracy out of the Barnes as some other bullets. Although I think I may have that fixed as I am sneaking up on a new load for it right now(hope I didnt just jinx myself). Some folks rave about how accurate they are and others curse them because they wont stay on the paper. All I can say to that is to each their own. What are you getting for accuracy out of them?

Linksmech is right that the Kenetrek is a better and more expensive boot. I Have a pair of Kentreks and they are sweeeetttt!!!! However I still stand by the Danner Elk hunters. For example I used to wear my Danners when I would go snowmobiling, I was in college and poor so multiple boots were not an option, and my feet never got cold even on a sled(despite all the digging I usually had to do casue my sled was a ***). They were the 400 gram boots and I would wear a good wool sock with them and I stayed comfortable. In my opinion if you can keep your feet from getting wet half the battle is won and keeping them warm is managable.
You are going to have a great time on your Elk hunt! In large part your enjoyment will be because you have taken the time to prepare and be ready for all scenarios.

I havent got a chance to try the Barnes yet probably in a week or so. Yes, i have been giving this trip 100 % effort of gathering information and trying to perfect equiptment can be a pain but i have enjoyed every moment so far. Im 49 wanted to do this my whole life but finally got the chance. Im going to spend the month of aug and sept. working on my long range shooting skills. I think it would be a real bummer to go that far and have blogs such as getting cold, etc. because you didnt prepare. I sure have appreciated all the input everyone has given me on this site.
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.