Time for new barrel

chazawazzle

it took me about 1,300 rounds but I think I finally shot out the barrel on my long range rifle. It started life as a sendero 300RUM then I put a hogue stock on it, bedded it, then added a timney and a nice brake on it and topped it all with a gen one razor HD. I worked up a load shooting 230 Berger's slowly at 2775 and eventually took it to 2,000 yards. Now that it don't shoot anymore I'm up in the air on what platform to take up next.

Oh, I still shoot! Just not the RUM right now. I've been concentrating on loading for my 30-06 and my little boys .243. Also just got a new glock model 20 for Christmas so I've been getting acquainted with the new boomer! Honestly thinking of getting rid of the 13lb. Behemoth altogether and starting a new adventure but still in the same cartridge.

it took me about 1,300 rounds but I think I finally shot out the barrel on my long range rifle. It started life as a sendero 300RUM then I put a hogue stock on it, bedded it, then added a timney and a nice brake on it and topped it all with a gen one razor HD. I worked up a load shooting 230 Berger's slowly at 2775 and eventually took it to 2,000 yards. Now that it don't shoot anymore I'm up in the air on what platform to take up next.

The type of shooting you will be doing would greatly influence the recommendation for rifle and chambering. High volume shooting i would recommend something with a higher expansion ratio for longer barrel life, if for big game hunting, take your pick, just depends on the level of performance you want.

I
The type of shooting you will be doing would greatly influence the recommendation for rifle and chambering. High volume shooting i would recommend something with a higher expansion ratio for longer barrel life, if for big game hunting, take your pick, just depends on the level of performance you want.
I'll stick with the rum, I love 30cal and love the horsepower that cartridge brings with it. Plus I still have lots of brass and powder. I think the next platform will be a lightweight mountain rifle just cause it sounds fun with the punishment!

I talked to my gunsmith and he basically said the same thing. I think I might just do that and then sell the whole package to fund the build. The way the rifle sits it's heavy and just not fun to carry and the scope is just too big and bulky.

Sounds like a new project is in order. I built my 28 Nosler with an AG Composites carbon fiber stock a Deviant hunter action and a 26 inch Proof sendero barrel. Its light weight and hits hard with minimal recoil thanks to the APA little bastard brake.

Sounds like a new project is in order. I built my 28 Nosler with an AG Composites carbon fiber stock a Deviant hunter action and a 26 inch Proof sendero barrel. Its light weight and hits hard with minimal recoil thanks to the APA little bastard brake.

Great build. Mines nearly identical. Great rifle right around 7# bare. Just make the barrel a 300RUM and you'll check all the boxes.

Are you still able to spot your shots with it being that light?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.