New barrel

GUNNNN

Thank you for any help my question is when breaking in a new barrel should I be careful about how hot it get it should I let it cool between shots

Thank you for any help my question is when breaking in a new barrel should I be careful about how hot it get it should I let it cool between shots
You should always let a barrel cool between shots and not overheat a barrel whether you're breaking it in or not if possible . when you're shooting in a match and you have long strings of fire it's unavoidable other than that you should always be aware of overheating your barrel

Heavier the contour slower the heat up, more metal to conduct to. Barrel flutes speed cooling somewhat, outside temps high and low also effect this. I like to shoot a 3-5 shot group and let cool to the touch, I also stand my gun vertical with bolt open to create a "chimney effect" for faster cooling. May not be possible at all ranges, make sure and clean between shot strings when breaking in also. Perhaps haste makes waste would apply here, shooting too much or too fast without cooling will waste your barrel and especially throat life. Good Shooting.....Enjoy the new barrel..... and welcome to the forum :)

The process of breaking barrel is/can be a boring job but it should never be rushed. The idea of a good break, in is to remove "ALL" fouling between shots so time is your friend. If you rush it, you cannot remove all the fouling because the barrel is at its worst for fouling.

I always recommend taking another rifle with you to help pass the time while the bore solvent is soaking. This is also not a good time to use harsh solvents. A good solvent will remove the copper fouling with a few minutes of soaking and not harm the bore. You shouldn't need Harsh solvents anyway at this time. I recommend something like Butches bore shine for brake in and then going to your favorite solvent after it is broke in.

Take your time and clean each shot until there is no fouling left and you will begin to feel the break in progress and see the improvements in/by 5 or 6 shots. If you have a chronograph, the velocity will even out at 7 to 10 shoot and clean steps. At this time, You can start the 3 shots and clean procedure to see the quality of the break in. Again let the barrel cool down a little longer before you apply the solvent. (It is always best not to hit a hot barrel with bore solvents). you only have one shot/chance to do a good brake in, so take your time, let it cool and the results will pay in accuracy.

J E CUSTOM

If you haven't invested in something like a bait bucket battery powered aerator pump, not a bad idea to grab one for probably less than $15. Between shot strings I always placed a short piece of tygon tubing from the aerator pump into chamber and let it push fresh air down the barrel. Lots of threads here on similar setups that all work to keep barrel temps down not only for break in but general range work. Maintaining barrel temp will absolutely help sustain your barrel life and this is cheap method that does help.

On a name brand barrel (Kieger, Hart, Bartlein ,Benchmark, Lilja, etc) that is hand lapped, only the 'fluff',,, the very, very small/fine burrs left from chambering, need to be "broke-in" or shot out. If the barrel fouls ahead of the throat, they didn't do a good job of lapping it. Start your load workup and don't get that barrel hot.

Take your time and never let the barrel get hot. As previously mentioned unless your shooting a match or perhaps hogs from a helicopter, there's no need to shoot in rapid succession. As ambient temp climbs, you will also need to allow more time for cooling between shots. An air mattress pump can usually be had at a thrift store for $5-10 and greatly enhances the cooling even in warmer temps. Read somewhere that in a rapid five shot string, the fifth shot does as much damage as the previous four combined. Not sure how true it is.

All the patches I go through would defintely be a fire starter! Dang, this site has great ideas! All this time I have been swabbing barrels and all I had to do was dance around the fire? Can't dance or carry a tune unless on my phone so I guess I will try to shuffle around the fire if that is acceptable? Please don't tell me I need to wear a mask:eek:

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.