Tikka rebarrel Cost

lacajun

Called a local Smith today about rebarreling my Tikka 260 ....got the fever for a 280 AI.
Anyway he quoted me $525 plus the cost of the barrel. The last one I had done was $850 ish. including sara coating and a bartlein barrel. Seems kinda high but I could be wrong
What do y'all think

$300 for non-magnum $350 for magnum chamber . $100 to thread muzzle plus whatever type of thread protector . (Blended or knurled)

If that quote didn’t include threading the muzzle it is higher than around here. But same as above, seems everything is going up.

Been reading about pte-fits as well...just worried about accuracy with a prefit..

I wouldn't be.

Here is an example group from a Preferred Barrel Blanks prefit chambered in .338 Sherman Mega. Of course not every group I shoot with it is quite that good, but they are all 1.25MOA or smaller.

IMG_3287.jpg

Here is a group from my McGowen .260 barrel. Granted this is a barrel nut Remage, rather than a shouldered Tikka prefit, but you can see that it too is capable of very good accuracy when I do my part.

IMG_1789.JPG

My next Tikka build will use a prefit. No need to pay a gunsmith $900 when you can get a great prefit, with a ton of options (fluting, barrel threading, etc) for $700 and do it yourself.

If prefits and barrel nuts were the way to go.... fclass and PRS guys would be using them! I'm not saying that they cannot be accurate but the most accurate?....usually not.

Just got a 257cal blank in from Preferred Barrel Blanks on the 27th. I ordered it on my 29th! $380 delivered. If you provide the reamer most smith's around here will thread both ends and cut a the chamber for $400.

You need a 1.15" shank for a tikka barrel btw

Been reading about pte-fits as well...just worried about accuracy with a prefit..
I did a 6.5-06 match prefit last year. It's a 3 shot 1//2 moa rifle out to 1000 with my hand loads. 26" Criterion in an Oryx chassis. It'll do .3's at 100.
Mack Brothers Action, Triggertech Trigger, Varmint contour 26" very similar to Sendero profile from Northland Shooters Supply. I bought the wrench and headspace gauges. The match chamber is throated for the longer, heavier bullets. I hunt, shoot, and do long range depredation. I regularly shoot to 1000 yards. I do not do competition.
Another friend did a lighter contour Criterion 6.5-284 prefit on a Savage 110 donor action. McMillan stock. It does 3 shot groups well under 1 moa. He has hit pie plates regularly at 1300 yards. It has been plenty accurate.
I have even thought about doing a 6.5 or 7 Saum or possibly a 300 WSM prefit to replace my 308 barrel on my 700. The prefits suit my accuracy requirements just fine.

Last edited:
I’ve done 3 criterion prefits. 2 are really good. 1 is right at moa or slightly higher. It’s an older remington so not sure it’s the barrel or an issue with the action not true to the chamber. The advantage to going prefit is the shorter lead time and your saving the gunsmith costs. Northland shooters has a weekly email highlighting customer builds and updating inventory. Some guys have built very accurate rifles with criterion and shilen prefits.

Called a local Smith today about rebarreling my Tikka 260 ....got the fever for a 280 AI.
Anyway he quoted me $525 plus the cost of the barrel. The last one I had done was $850 ish. including sara coating and a bartlein barrel. Seems kinda high but I could be wrong
What do y'all think
How long ago was the last one? Everything has suffered inflated prices under Biden/demonrat-nomics

I’ve done 3 criterion prefits. 2 are really good. 1 is right at moa or slightly higher. It’s an older remington so not sure it’s the barrel or an issue with the action not true to the chamber. The advantage to going prefit is the shorter lead time and you're saving the gunsmith costs. Northland shooters has a weekly email highlighting customer builds and updating inventory. Some guys have built very accurate rifles with criterion and shilen prefits.
One of the bolt lugs in my factory 700 Varmint was barely touching. I took my time and removed enough material to get both lugs to make good contact. Then threw the original stock away. I skim bedded my B & C medalist stock with Devcon. I also added a Geissele super 700 trigger. It still has the factory barrel. These things helped to tighten that gun up pretty well. It's a 1/2-5/8 moa rifle.
For the cost of a prefit it's hard to go wrong if you have a good action. Provided you aren't expecting bench rest type accuracy. My goal from the beginning was half moa. It'll do better than that. I put together this 6.5-06 from scratch. I'd have to admit that any limiting factor in that setup is me.