Tikka 7mm Rem Mag

Marcf44a300

Does anyone have experience with the Tikka T3X (light)? Or any light 7mm Rem Mag...

I'm simply trying to put together a light accurate rifle with a bit more reach than my tried and true .308 (without spending too much).

Thinking of 7mm Rem Mag and having a brake installed on the Tikka.

I have a heavy .300 WM - muzzle jump is just barley controllable so as to watch my hits.

Even in a light gun - should I be able to watch my hits with a Tikka in 7mm Rem Mag?

Considering: Sako Carbon Light, Weatherby Ultra, Christensen, Fierce, Kimber. Frankly - if the Tikka is accurate and controllable - why pay more?

I've owned a Tikka t3 Super Light (weighs 6.0 lbs with rings) for almost a year now. I was also looking for a long range performer that would be easy to pack around.

I'll tell you I couldn't be more happy with this rifle, I'm getting .5 MOA with the 162 ELD-X with 70.5 grns. H 1000 seated to 3.365 OAL. Velocity is 2950 and I've been hitting rocks and steel out to 900 yards with ease.

Recoil is not bad at all; it compares to a 270 with 150's, I can track my shots from a bipod if I hold firm. My wife shot a buck with it this season and had no issues with recoil, she's not a fan of shooting it prone though.. I just got a big 4x4 whitetail with it last week and he dropped in his tracks (as did my wife's).

Give it a try, I think you'll be amazed with the exceptional long range accuracy that you can get from such a smooth lightweight package.

I didn't put a brake on it, all I added was a Limbsaver recoil pad and a slip on cheek pad. I noticed that my cheek would get a little sore when shooting prone, the foam slip on pad made a huge difference.

I had a lightweight 7mm RemMag built for me off a Rem 700 action. It was a 26" magnum sporter barrel and had a lightweight scope and mount. Whole rifle weighted about 8.5 lbs. It was nice. Killed 2 deer in 2 days (back to back) at the end of the season, and then tore it apart to use the parts for other rifle builds.

Wouldn't mind building another one very similar to it someday.

Here's a few pictures of it.

14E47DF2-E9CF-4DDE-93FE-14EE658D9912_zpsxqmo3dky.jpg

A8F2D621-6B78-4D2F-9E32-0D4926B2B5C8_zpswvvfvwsg.jpg

DCFCA523-7157-40DD-9D30-3EB9F4DACD7A_zps2tdnzw4g.jpg

AE39521F-C157-43C6-AB2C-C1A9470B10B6_zpsjqmxweho.jpg

A friend purchased a T3 light in 308 last year. I discovered Mountain Tactical who specialize on them. I found their video on how to adjust the trigger pull:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XftqYIR3NZ0

I also talked to someone at their shop in Montana, very friendly and helpful. Link to Mt tactical
https://tikkaperformance.com/mountain-tactical-company

I have a borescope and was amazed at the smoothness of the bore. Best hammer forged barrel I had ever viewed.

As for lightweight 7 Rem mags I have had three. Ended up selling them over time.
One friend who has one, asked me for the specs last night as he lost his trajectory charts. It was an 8 lb Remington in a AK wilderness stock, weighed 8 lb with a 3.5-10 x 40 Leupold.

Load for the above was 67 gr of RL-17 with 150 nosler BT for vel of 3250 fps

Other load that worked well in two friend's 7 mags and my other two 7 mags:

168 berger classic hunter 72-73 gr of Retumbo velocity approx. 3100 fps

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.