Tics, yeah I know but it bears repeating.

DartonJager

Have not had a tic on me while actually turkey hunting in well over 10-12 years. Was done hunting and driving and scouting by calling yesterday and walked through some waist high brush to reach a higher vantage point to call and when i went back to the truck and while driving noticed a tic crawling on my right forearm and disposed of him.

Pulled over at a reasonably secluded spot and found no less than 3 tics crawling on my shirt, two on my pants, found two more on my waist line and one on my right side. Once at home wife found two more attached to my waist where I couldn't see.

In less than 10 minuets during a short 50-65 yard walk I got more tics on me than in my entire 30+ years of hunting both turkeys and deer.

This was the first time in memory I didn't spray my turkey hunting clothes with Permethrin so it's likely the reason I got infested. My boys and I are going out turkey hunting again this weekend so without doubt I will be treating our boot tops and clothes with a prescribed dose of Perethrin.

Just a friendly reminder to check for tics especially your kids and other younger hunters.

Wow. You basically wrote my 'tick' story, too. Same deal - turkey hunting in North Texas many years ago. I was walking through some thigh/waist high brush and grass. Stopped to take a break and found I was covered in red ticks. Made me realize how quickly and easily those things can get all over you. Your reminder about these pests is timely. Thanks.

Always enjoyable to ring in the new year here in N.C. by stepping in your first larval tick nest. We've counted well over 100 on one foot before. Fun times!

E-Limi-Tick clothing by Gamehide is super, been using it for years. I live in tick country- if you don't get the clothing use Permethrin!

I'm being more vigilant this Spring than previous years. While skinning a deer this past November (was exceptionally warm in Kentucky) a deer tick managed to attach itself to my collar bone just below the neckline of my shirt without me knowing. The next morning my entire neck was sore to the point where I couldnt raise my head up off my pillow due to the pain. I found the tick attached (to a rather large knot) while rubbing my neck and promptly dispatched it. Neck pain continued into the next day and I went to my doctor and was given anti-biotics as a precaution and tested for RMSF/Lymes disease as well. Tests came back negative, but that one scared me a little....

Just when I thought I learned to deal with the bajillion deer ticks that inhabit Long Island, I discovered dozens of minute ticks on my ankle. They were so small that if they didn't move in mass they couldn't be seen. A 6x magnifing glass was needed to see them. They proved to be nymph stage lone star ticks. Virtually no one ever heard of them at that time; including my doctor.

I have totally given up bowhunting whitetails on LI because of the ticks. It's just not worth the health risks to me any more.

Just when I thought I learned to deal with the bajillion deer ticks that inhabit Long Island, I discovered dozens of minute ticks on my ankle. They were so small that if they didn't move in mass they couldn't be seen. A 6x magnifing glass was needed to see them. They proved to be nymph stage lone star ticks. Virtually no one ever heard of them at that time; including my doctor.

I have totally given up bowhunting whitetails on LI because of the ticks. It's just not worth the health risks to me any more.

Read my post!

Read my post!

I have used tick repellents, including Permethrin, for many years. They are fairly effective at repelling/killing ticks but you just can't keep them ALL off your body, clothing or out of your car. Ticks can get in or on anything, including your hunting cloths, boots backpack, gear, etc.
Ticks can carry any number of diseases and I just don't want to take the chance of bringing them into my vehicle or home.
We always had some deer and dog ticks and we dealt with them but over the last 10-20 years the population has exploded. The discovery of the tiny Lone Star ticks in our area was just icing on the cake.

Last edited:
Land owners don't control burn any more. This is the biggest reason why the tick population is out of control. Turkeys love to hit these areas to scratch acorns that have been uncovered by fire.

I got covered in Ticks 5 years ago while bear hunting in Idaho. I thought I got rid of all of them but one found a cozy spot behind my knee in the crease, found him while I was taking a dump the next morning. Ended up with Colorado Tick Fever - it is the sickest I have ever been, I can't remember being in more pain either...lasted two weeks. I now soak everything in permethrin, it helps, but they still don't die as fast as I would like them too.

Here is one way I tried to avoid contact with ticks:

I kept all of my treated hunting cloths in a plastic bag and only put them on when I got to where I went into the field. Returning from the field I would put everything back in the big plastic bag.
When I got home, I put the closed bag in a chest freezer. Ticks can not take zero temperatures for very long.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.