Thoughts on most consistent loading dies

I guess that's true about the reamer not being the best way to cut a die, never done it, just an initial concept in my head. That's why I like more than just my brain in a conversation, I have a lot of experience but for sure don't know everything and I greatly appreciate intelligent input. I also agree with the press statement, currently use a Rockchucker Supreme and arbor press. I saw a video on the SAC press which appears to be very well made
I have and that's the only way I would go from here on forward on my custom builds. This is also per my go-to reputable gunsmith's recommendation. This the route I took with my .338 Thor and so far, so good.

I will add I will never own or use Hornady dies, they are junk…
Can you tell me about your experience that makes you feel that way?

I ask because I have replaced dies that broke or didn't provide consistency, but I always switch to Hornady because I have never had a problem with them.

I have been loading most of my own ammunition since 1976 when I worked at a Sporting Goods store in Houston named Glen Slade's. I was shooting .250 groups at 100 with a 22-250 and 6mm Remington, both in Remington 788s that I had taken the triggers apart, polished everything and bedded them. Back then I used Lee Target loaders and a leather mallet which were very simple but made good accurate loads. South of Houston was Bailey's House of Guns which was where I did most of my shooting. RCBS was a primary die company and I think Sinclair was around then but I'm not sure. Bullets were nowhere near what they are today, same with powders and brass was usually either Winchester or Remington. I have an old Speer loading manual which is not really relevant today because powder formulation has changed even within the same manufacturer and powder type. IMR 3031 is not the same as it was fifty years ago. I've been in LE for 42 years, part of which was as a sniper, I attended the FBI Sniper / Observer school in 2004 etc, so I have some background in the shooting world, and reloading for nearly fifty years should have taught me a few things. I also have a small gunsmithing business I do when I'm not working for the County and at 70 years old I still put on my uniform every day and go to work. As long as I can constructively contribute and not become a liability, I will continue to work. As I age I am ever evaluating myself and my ability to engage when called upon effectively, When I'm not confident about that, I'll retire. And shoot more.

There is no doubt that more accurate modern machining produces better components and more precise components should make more consistent and better loads which is always a good goal to work toward. That was the essence of my original question about current high quality dies, recognizing that there are many on this forum who have much more experience than I do, maybe not many doing it longer but certainly more experience especially with more current tools ie dies, presses etc. I wish to avail myself of their knowledge and experience.

I ask because I have replaced dies that broke or didn't provide consistency, but I always switch to Hornady because I have never had a problem with them.

Simple really, they are poorly designed and lack anything but base level parts.

Cheers.

Dies are only as good as the press you screw them into. You can make great ammo with Lee dies in a tight press and you can make terrible ammo with whatever top of the line dies screwed into a sloppy press.
Pretty much this. I would love to tell you I can make better ammo with my $400 Redding Dies than my $59 Lee Dies..... and I *could* tell you that.... but I can't prove it on paper or steel.

Run-out with seaters is my gripe.
And I've tried the VLD stems.

Without a way to lock the stem it can move with a wind gust. No clicks.
No set screw. No bueno.

Simple really, they are poorly designed and lack anything but base level parts.

Cheers.
What is poor about their design and parts? What would be above base level parts?

Is it the elliptical expander that works well for std sizing, necking up or accepting of dented case necks?

Is it their threaded decapping stem that doesn't slide?

I guess I'm confused, but interested because maybe I can find better dies for one gun or another.

I've only used Lee, RCBS, Hornady, Lyman, Herters, Whidden, Redding, Forster, and Hornady custom shop.

Run-out with seaters is my gripe.
And I've tried the VLD stems.

Without a way to lock the stem it can move with a wind gust. No clicks.
No set screw. No bueno.
How much bullet runout are you seeing? What was it measured with? What fixed it?

Your seating stem moved, even with the rubber lock washer? Wow! Never heard of that. I have seen seating depth vary due to varying seating force and bullet variation.

Have you measured necks with/without the expander in place? Have you measured runout on said cases?
Their expanders are junk…their stems are also junk, no thought for precision ANYWHERE in the design…

Cheers.
Only with the expander in place. That worked for me. I forget actual numbers…..I want to say 0.002" tir on my 21st Century tool.

My only issue has been they can bind up not concentric and then I reset the dies…takes a min or 2.