Thoughts on boots for 2nd rifle

Asolo has served me well. As previously stated, make sure whatever boots you get fit your feet well and spend plenty of time in them before going. Blisters make any boots miserable. Would consider some superfeet insoles and darn tough socks are hard to beat.

Where I Hunt in Oregon and Idaho, I don't rely on one pair of boots. One day can be blowing wet nasty snow and then blue bird weather the next. I have a pair of Schnee's Elk hunters which I have had for over 20 years and love them for wet and cold conditions. But if it's a warm day, I will sweat to death in them. I have a set of Danners with light insulation (I think 200G) for the dry days, and then a pair of lightweight hikers. I feel it's smart to have an extra pair of boots so you can rotate them and let them breath and dry. Wet feet are miserable.

Go with the best boots you can afford. I have the Schnees Teton. a very stable mountain boot. I used the Mendel by Cabelas until this last years Goat hunt on Mt Baker and after four days of rain the boot stretched so much that I was walking on the side of my foot. And by the way Cabelas no longer honors a long term return policy .

I presently live in Germany and have been hunting here and in the neighboring countries for a quite few years. Since I have sensitive feet ("Army training Sir"), I am familiar with quite a few boot manufacturers to include the ones most worn here (Meindl, Lowa, Hanwag, Salomon etc.), although I've never tried Kenetrek. With that being said... try Zamberlan, they're serious boots for serious hunting... :)

Last edited:
There are lots of fine boots but fit is everything. If the fit is not right such that when going down a steep slope your toes hit the front of the boot, the result is the same turf toe the NFL players get. Don't recommend you buy them online unless there is a free return policy.

Hunting boots have come a long way in the last 10 years. Gone are the days of just "dealing" with heal lift and blisters. Take your time and try on a few different brands (Crispi, Medeil, Lowa, etc). Buy what fits best and has the least amount of heal lift. Also make sure your toes don't touch the front of the toe box as this will cause blisters on your toes. Buy good merino socks. Two pairs; thin liners socks and an outer sock. And this will also help with blisters. Try your boots on with your socks before you buy them. I have a pair of Meindls and Crispi wild rocks. I LOVE my wild rocks. They are a 400 G insulation. I am going to be purchasing a pair un-insulated Crispi Nevada's and can't wait.

Look at the Lowa boots also. Try on as many as you can and find one that fits you right. I tried on as many as I could and ended up with Lowa's. Over the course of a week of hunting in Colorado my feet never hurt once. They are the most comfortable pair of boots I have ever worn.
Lowa are the best walking/hiking boots I ever had on my feet, large toe box, leather lined. everyone feet are different took me years to find the perfect boot, do not buy brand buy what fits your feet the best....

Anyone else feel the quality of the Cabelas' / Meindl boots has gone down over the past few years??

And I'd like to also mention that rarely does one pair or model of boot work in all conditions. I own so many brands and models because each is unique in its own way. Weather, temp, load, terrain and distance all play their own roles and so I cater to that with my boot choices. There's nothing worse for me than a wrong boot choice.... can turn a hunt bad in a short period of time.

Anyone else feel the quality of the Cabelas' / Meindl boots has gone down over the past few years??
I've bought my Meindl boots directly from local stores here in Germany, no connection to Cabelas, so they're not an exported version if there is such thing. Although not the same model, my last pair one year ago are of more or less overall equal quality as my 1st pair 10 years ago.

Go with the best boots you can afford. I have the Schnees Teton. a very stable mountain boot. I used the Mendel by Cabelas until this last years Goat hunt on Mt Baker and after four days of rain the boot stretched so much that I was walking on the side of my foot. And by the way Cabelas no longer honors a long term return policy .
What do you mean by, "long term return policy?" I don't know what they do now, but in Oct. 2016, they replaced a pair of Meindl's that I bought in Mar. 2002. They gave me the original purchase price for them, in a gift certificate. I replaced those with the 400GM Perfekt Extreme & am very well pleased with these as well. I haven't tried most of the other boots that have been mentioned in this conversation, but I have no complaints with the Meindl boots that I've owned.

Live and hunt in the PNW, MT, and WY and have both Kenetrek Insulated 400 gram (3 1/2 years use) and Meindel Denali's Non-Insulated from Cabelas (1 full season) Personally I like the toe box and general fit of the Kenetrek since they seem to fit my foot (wider forefoot, slightly narrower heel, med. arch) Meindels seem a little narrower and lower volume in the toebox. I've hunted late season Elk and predators with Kenetreks in sub-freezing temps for the last four years with no problems. Note: After working in the Outdoor Ind. for 25+ years I can honestly say that you really need to go in blindfolded, not looking at "style" and figure out what fits YOUR foot best for the application you mention... trying them on and test driving is the only way to know. Previous suggestions of Gaiters is a great one and critical in wet weather, as is a few weeks break-in and waterproofing before your trip out west. P.S. The guys at Kenetrek are top notch, as are folks at Schnees, and Lathrop and Sons. Good Huntin'!

...Personally I like the toe box and general fit of the Kenetrek since they seem to fit my foot (wider forefoot, slightly narrower heel, med. arch) Meindels seem a little narrower and lower volume in the toebox. I've hunted late season Elk and predators with Kenetreks in sub-freezing temps for the last four years with no problems.

Yep, and Yep.
My feet feel warmer in the uninsulated Kennetreks than in 400g Meindls. Toe box is definitely roomier.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.