Thoughts on boots for 2nd rifle

I've gotten away from wearing "hunting" boots, as I have found most to be heavier than I like. I am currently wearing Asolo backpacking boots, and with good wool socks my feet are fine in 20 degree temperatures as long as I don't sit still too long. I use good gaiters, and the combination has gotten me across streams without my feet getting wet even when the water depth is greater than the height of the boots. The pair of Asolo boots weighs the same as one of the hunting boots that I had been wearing before; I keep those boots for stand hunting in really cold weather. I want to get some entry-level to mid-level mountaineering boots, which might be a bit heavier than what I have now, but offer more protection from rocks and stiffer soles for climbing.
The most important thing, regardless of the style of boots that you want, is to make sure they fit your foot well. This means width, length (not just overall but also heel to ball of foot so they bend in the right place for your foot), height, etc. The boot needs to be snug enough to support your foot, but also loose enough to allow thicker socks if desired and not limit circulation; it doesn't matter how much insulation a boot has, if it cuts off the circulation your feet will get cold. I wear Asolos because they fit my feet, but the Scarpas are just too narrow for my foot.
Besides fit, I look for good waterproofing, a 90-degree or better mountaineering style heel, good lugs for traction, and a sole that is stiff enough to jam the side of a toe and climb.

So I haven't been west for elk before , this year will be the first. Going to backpack in a ways and hunt 2nd rifle.

What about boots?? I'm sure this a "it depends" question/answer. For 2nd rifle, do you guys generally wear uninsulated? I have zero experience but it sounds like it will be quite a bit of walking/stalking. Planning on having my pack on my back, but will have a base camp set up, so I shouldn't have a ton of weight in my pack most of the time.

Insulated? What weight insulation? Non insulated? I'm sure it depends on the person too to an extent. I'm planning to hunt somewhere in the vicintity of Steamboat Springs, if that helps.

I also plan on merino socks with a liner if necessary.

I'm sure everyone has their own opinion on brand, but feel free to throw those out there as well if you want. I'm eyeing up Kenetrek, thought about Schnee Beartooth. Not really sure what I'm doing since I've not needed mountain boots before.

So I haven't been west for elk before , this year will be the first. Going to backpack in a ways and hunt 2nd rifle.

What about boots?? I'm sure this a "it depends" question/answer. For 2nd rifle, do you guys generally wear uninsulated? I have zero experience but it sounds like it will be quite a bit of walking/stalking. Planning on having my pack on my back, but will have a base camp set up, so I shouldn't have a ton of weight in my pack most of the time.

Insulated? What weight insulation? Non insulated? I'm sure it depends on the person too to an extent. I'm planning to hunt somewhere in the vicintity of Steamboat Springs, if that helps.

I'm sure everyone has their own opinion on brand, but feel free to throw those out there as well if you want. I'm eyeing up Kenetrek, thought about Schnee Beartooth. Not really sure what I'm doing since I've not needed mountain boots before.

If you are willing to spend some money I'd go with the Schnees Granite's. I've used them on mountain goat, mule deer, high country elk, etc. and they are awesome. My last pair lasted about seven years and I'm a year into my new pair.

I bought a pair of Crispi Boots, model Idaho Plus. These boots are made for the type of activity you will be doing. I wore them without breaking in and they were AWESOME! The soles are super stable, can not feel any rocks through them. Ankle support is superior, and having a shattered ankle I know about that. I can wear these boots for 12-13 hours hiking over 10 miles in the mountains. At the end of the day my feet still fresh and ready to go. These boots are watrer proof and I thing 10 inches tall. The other thing with them is they are pretty light weight. I have worn all brands of boots, Danner, Meindel, Asolo, Merrell, Vasque and many more. These are the absolute best boots I have ever worn. Second season, I would go with Un-insulated with good quality Wool socks. Carry an extra pair and change them mid day if hiking hard. You will not be disappointed. Normally that time of year is not very cold, 20's in the early AM. If you want to cross water deeper than 8" wear a good pair of gaiters.

I've hunted in Western CO for over 20 years, from 1st season to 4th season. I've worn Cabela's Meindl's since 1993 & they're hands down the best hunting boots I've ever worn. The ones I have now are the Perfekt Extreme, 400 grams insulation, I believe. If you aren't sitting still all day, your feet should be fine in those.

I bought a pair of crispi boots and they are by far my favorite boot. They just fell good when you walk In them , from the first day you put them on. My Kennetreks ,took forever to break in and are not as comfortable . My crispi's are uninsulated for early rifle, but it would have to be really cold before I would need to wear the Kennetreks. All in all both are great boots and are worth the money and way above other boots from America like Danner

I think the responses here together point you in the right direction even though it may not be completely obvious. Nobody's feet are the same and I think most boots mentioned here are good quality. That said to me the more you can try on the better. I don't ever buy into the idea that they need to be broke in. For me personally if they kill my feet day 1 they will always cause issues. The ones that work best for me felt great when I tried them on and feel the same years later. Like many have mentioned here the weather can be all over the map that time of year and any time I can I bring two pair of boots that vary in the amount of insulation. Just like a horse if your feet give you issues you will be miserable.

I really love my lowa Tibet's. I have them in the insulated and uninsulated. Great boot. I wore them To Puerto Rico last year during the Hurricane on a humanitarian mission. They we amazing. Water proof. Hot as the temperatures were mid 90's. But they didn't leak. I've also had them in snow hunting at 8k feet. Took about 10 miles to break in.

Zamberlan- Kennetrek- Lowa- Miendle all hard to beat! My feet have always been wienies so I have 400gram insulation. Zamberlan currently with "0" complaints

This very important question is well answered by lancet above. It is important to avoid heavy or stiff boots. Wear whatever is comfortable in summer or early fall. The merino wool socks are great. If temps are cold, at least down to zero or so you will be OK with the gaiters. The gaiters are exceptionally important; warm legs, warm feet. They should be white, in fact you should wear white pants if tracking elk in snow. I just keep painters' disposables handy. Hands and feet won't get cold when the rest of the body is warm. Rest of the body and everything else stays warm if you keep moving. So, there is a little bit to this, but heavy boots are more of a problem than a solution.

Used the Kennetrek Hardscrabble/non-insulated for the first time last season from archery elk, sheep, rifle elk & deer. Fantastic foot support. A few points worth repeating from users above. First - allow plenty of time for break in. I logged upwards of 40 miles before I really felt the boot was getting broke in. They were good out of the box for sure, but got better with each day on the trail. Flat vs high arch - I had to replace the original hi-arch liners out, could not wear them. Insulation - I've stayed warm with good merino socks in the uninsulated boots down to -10f when active.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.