Thinking of building a 7 stw

Then why are you complaining? Smile, nod... and leave it be.
Everyone has their own path to a "utopic" rifle.
For me, my best success and memories are with 7mms.... specifically the 280 Rem class... it's not a hotrod... but it's one HECK of a hammer.gun)

Then why are you complaining? Smile, nod... and leave it be.
Everyone has their own path to a "utopic" rifle.
For me, my best success and memories are with 7mms.... specifically the 280 Rem class... it's not a hotrod... but it's one HECK of a hammer.gun)

I'm not complaining. Just voicing an opinion. If all a guy hears is how great a certain caliber is then he thinks he has to have it. I wish my buddy who bought the stw had heard a few varying opinions. It's an opinion and like every other azzhole I get to have mine.:)

The one cartridge that bugs me is the 270 Win. Thanks Jack O Connor for making the 270 Winchester the equivalent to Valentines day....
Commercialized nonsense that everyone must participate in at one point....

My personal favorite would be the Firebird of course. I like fast rifles and John's rifle shoot great. My second choice would be the 7mm Dakota. I never saw 3450fps out of the stw I worked with as was mentioned earlier. Best accuracy was in the 3200 range. But everyone has there favorites I guess. The stw isn't mine. But then again the 7mm isn't my favorite caliber either.

Then why are you even in this section?

I'm not complaining. Just voicing an opinion. If all a guy hears is how great a certain caliber is then he thinks he has to have it. I wish my buddy who bought the stw had heard a few varying opinions. It's an opinion and like every other azzhole I get to have mine.:)

Once again, the **** chambering behind the bullet makes no differenence... The 7mm STW is a phenomenal caliber rifle. A bad barrel can happen in a .22LR... Just because it happened to be an STW and he had a crappy barrel, doesn't mean the chambering is junk. Your logic is flawed. Anyone could get a bad barrel in any caliber...And regardless of what chambering is behind the bullet, the rifle is not going to shoot worth a crap.

You and your buddy are the first I've ever heard of not liking the 7mm STW caliber, for reasons that had nothing to do with the fact that it was chambered in 7mm STW.

My personal favorite would be the Firebird of course. I like fast rifles and John's rifle shoot great. My second choice would be the 7mm Dakota. I never saw 3450fps out of the stw I worked with as was mentioned earlier. Best accuracy was in the 3200 range. But everyone has there favorites I guess. The stw isn't mine. But then again the 7mm isn't my favorite caliber either.

doesn't the firebird have a 10" twist??? If so, it would be exactly the same as the last stw barrel I had; good for up to 160's and not able to stabilize anything heavier. It would put it at a rather large disadvantage when you step up to the plate and swing for a critter or target at over 1,000 yards. I've gone with an 8" twist barrel foe my build, but a 9" twist will spin a 180 just fine in 7mm if you have decent boiler room.

I wouldnt waste ur time and money on a 7 stw. The very minimal fps gain is not worth the headache of getting brass and ammo. I own a 7 mag with a 28 in barrel and an stw with a 26 inch barrel. The 7mag is shoots 180 bergers at 2997 and the stw gets 3062 on average.not worth it considering brass for the stw is a pain to get. The 7mag also fits in the regular mag box while seated to touch the lands. Imop the stw is a waste of time. If u want to shoot 195 grain bullets go 7 rum or 28 nosler.

I wouldnt waste ur time and money on a 7 stw. The very minimal fps gain is not worth the headache of getting brass and ammo. I own a 7 mag with a 28 in barrel and an stw with a 26 inch barrel. The 7mag is shoots 180 bergers at 2997 and the stw gets 3062 on average.not worth it considering brass for the stw is a pain to get. The 7mag also fits in the regular mag box while seated to touch the lands. Imop the stw is a waste of time. If u want to shoot 195 grain bullets go 7 rum or 28 nosler.[/QUO

I knew I wasn't the only one who was less than impressed.

well, my new 7stw is waiting for me @ the gun smith's... Now to stock fitting and bedding... should be able to get it out this weekend.... 27" 8" twist shilen select match (#5 contour)... timney trigger, boyd's prairie hunter lh laminate... 1/4" ptg recoil lug, trued m700 action...

If you want to really cry you should see some of the chrono #'s (3200-3350 fps with a 140 in his rifle depending on powder) my brother is getting with his m48 in 280ai... makes a 7rem look slow and it's standard brass... I'm building one from a scrap 280 bbl. on a 06' I don't really like this fall if my brother's other 280ai (custom on a m700 action) gets done... he wanted a 8" twist rifle also for the real heavies so I'll scavenge the 9" and change barrel for a screamer...

I wouldnt waste ur time and money on a 7 stw. The very minimal fps gain is not worth the headache of getting brass and ammo. I own a 7 mag with a 28 in barrel and an stw with a 26 inch barrel. The 7mag is shoots 180 bergers at 2997 and the stw gets 3062 on average.not worth it considering brass for the stw is a pain to get. The 7mag also fits in the regular mag box while seated to touch the lands. Imop the stw is a waste of time. If u want to shoot 195 grain bullets go 7 rum or 28 nosler.

This coming from the guy who has never owner an STW, and has never even reloaded for his 7mmRM before...According to his recent threads he started in the Reloading section over the last several weeks...

Mud, remember though... you can't tick off the keyboard cowboys, they'll beat you senseless with ignorance...

I loathe people who scream about this and that... yet it's from a book, and not reality.
You and I don't agree on everything. Merica'.
However, went it comes down to BS, you're **** right. this dude smells from here.

As far as my AI goes... yup she does 3250. I did push her to 3350... Pretty impressive with a 24 in pipe. However, this is with RL17 and a 215. I doubt I'd see 3200 safely with many other propellants, short of a similar Norma burn speed.
The ES and SD of this load is low enough where Id feel comfortable past 6-700 yards with her... however the top end is a standard Diamondback II 3.5x10x50. My Viper HS is on the 6.5 Norma... Both are M48 Patriot rifles.

The rifle I have being built will be a 280 AI, 26 in Brux 1-8 barrel #5 contour with a vias break. Why a break? I want to see impacts without recovery time.
I have a Viper HS 4x16x44 waiting for it, along with a Boyds varmint thumbhole coyote waiting. Tis gonna be a nice winter build.
gun)

I do own an stw and i have another 7 mag that i do reload for just not for vld bullets and not for precision rounds. Im just now building a precision gun. So read slowly mudrunner so those big words are easier for u to read. I bought an stw a few months ago and i do lik w the caliber,just isnt worth the pain to find brass. If u actually chrono ur gun the stw is a minor fps gain. Im using a 28 inch barrel in my 7 mag so i have a little gain over a standard 7 mag with a 26 inch tube. Also maybe instead of being rude just because others dont agree with ur opinions u should just give advice and shut ur mouth. You are not the 7 stw god u think u are.

I also like how jokostel is calling the keyboard cowboys ignorant when him and mudrunner post the most smack against anyone who doesnt. Love the 7 stw. Maybe u guys should take a look at yourselves before being rude to others.

I do own an stw and i have another 7 mag that i do reload for just not for vld bullets and not for precision rounds. Im just now building a precision gun. So read slowly mudrunner so those big words are easier for u to read. I bought an stw a few months ago and i do lik w the caliber,just isnt worth the pain to find brass. If u actually chrono ur gun the stw is a minor fps gain. Im using a 28 inch barrel in my 7 mag so i have a little gain over a standard 7 mag with a 26 inch tube. Also maybe instead of being rude just because others dont agree with ur opinions u should just give advice and shut ur mouth. You are not the 7 stw god u think u are.
Read slowly with big words...Now that's funny.

Why would you buy a rifle in a caliber that you thought was pointless to own, because brass is too hard and expensive to find? Not being sarcastic, I'm asking a serious question.

I am not an "STW god", the only one of those who exists is Layne Simpson (the cartridge creator). And I definitely don't think I'm better than anyone. I learn new things everyday, no 1 person will ever know everything, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with striving to gain as much knowledge as one can in their lifetime.

I don't throw out knowledge to try to make myself look smart, a forum is designed as a user-interactive knowledge-base for helping people, so I try to help when I can, just like most of the folks on here do. You will see that there's quite a bit of things I don't comment on, here on the forum. The reason being, is either A) they don't interest me, or B) I don't have any knowledge to input about it, or C) Both.

If you don't agree with other people's positive opinions in the 7MM STW section of the forum, and have nothing productive to add, then why are you even posting in here? That just doesn't make any sense.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.