Things you wished you knew when you started?

I have watch over the great many years, that new case come out. When from long action to shorter action, and even shorter actions. Belted action rule for years. Now it's beltless cases. Each time they would say look at my new case. It's faster and noting their velocity. They do their comparison with their 26" barrel to a 24" barrel. Their powder charge is anywhere 5 to 15 grains above the other rifles too. So you can get a powder burner, and work up from there. You get a few hundred fps out of it. Using belted mag with equal barrel lengths closest the velocity different down, with less powder. So with powder being harder to get at times and getting 10 to 15 rounds less per lbs of powder and for what. Not much. I see the turning up the rifling speed to spend the bullets up for longer range. They only loading one round at at time, because the mag is to short to handle the overall length of the round doesn't really work for hunting, because sometimes needing a second round or more. Their's 7000 grains per pound of powder / grains per load = rounds per lbs. Now I haven't built a longer range rifle yet, but thinking about very hard. It will be built on a long action for sure, with a M.B. too.

1975 - put $1,000 into Chrysler stock before Lee Iacocca was brought on
1976 - buy $1,000 in Walmart Stock
1980 - buy $1,000 in Intel Stock
1982 - Buy $1,000 in Microsoft Stock

Didn't get into shooting until 1985. If only I'd RTFM.

4. Find a good mentor and listen
This is some of the best advice you can give anyone about anything...especially life!
I've never had a mentor, either growing up or in the military. I learned things the hard way, by getting knocked on my butt. I say this all the time: "I may not know what to do, but I know what Not to do. And that usually translates to the same thing." Coaching and mentoring is one of the reasons why I like my job.
One of the best ways to improve your shooting isn't that new rifle/cartridge/gucci gear, it's a good coach!

Better investing so I could purchase whatever I NEEDED. I'm kidding I'm very blessed to live in the land of the free at this time. VOTE

OK. I m a blank slate, waiting to be written on. I read this list to learn, but try hard not to take everything as gospel. But I now have a rifle and some basic equipment and 250 rounds of cheap ammo (well, not that cheap...LOL) My new Savage 338 Lapua has yet to be fired and I am trying to get set up with a mentor/instructor before firing that first round. I want him/her not to have to unlearn me before he starts teaching me. It will be easier for both of us.
And I dont want to be able to "list things I wish I had known."

My current problem is differentiating between a GOOD first instructor and someone just using his pasture for week end money. How do I know that I have someone that knows his business and not someone blowing hot air?

I have been crossing off the list the places that say "bring three gallons of water and good boots" I want to learn to hit targets at 1000 yards, not how to take a small village while hand carrying a Ma Duce. But beyond that, I dont know how to evaluate

I would think you would ask him to show you how it's done. If he can't hit
the target at 1000 yards you quickly release him to his own devices. It wouldn't
hurt to take the rifle to a closer range and get used to loading and shooting
at closer ranges by yourself. Then you will know your rifle better with the significant
recoil and all the rest of it.

Zeke

My two cents worth - before you can shoot a 1000 yards, you need to be able to shoot at 100 yards. THAT is where a LOT of your practise / training / learning / load development / and zeroing your rifle takes place. Then working out to longer range where you learn the vagaries of how distance affects your shot, and of the good old wind effects. My point: you don't learn how to shoot until you shoot. I had to take a hunter's safety course before my parents would let me handle a firearm, and I was shown how it is done. #1: Safety. I did the same by taking a long range shooting class. But telling me HOW to do it, and having that translate into actually DOING it all correctly - well that takes time and a lot of shooting. In my case, I learned a LOT by shooting a .22 at 100 yards. The fundamentals of breathe and trigger control, etc. When I got to where I could shoot good, consistent groups, that all translated direclty to larger calibers and longer ranges. In any case, have fun and be safe.

Last edited:
My two cents worth - before you can shoot a 1000 yards, you need to be able to shoot at 100 yards. THAT is where a LOT of your practise / training / learning / load development / and zeroing your rifle takes place. Then working out to longer range where you learn the vagaries of how distance affects your shot, and of the good old wind effects. My point: you don't learn how to shoot until you shoot. I had to take a hunter's safety course before my parents would let me handle a firearm, and I was shown how it is done. #1: Safety. I did the same by taking a long range shooting class. But telling me HOW to do it, and having that translate into actually DOING it all correctly - well that takes time and a lot of shooting. In my case, I learned a LOT by shooting a .22 at 100 yards. The fudnamentaks fo brethe and trigger control, etc. When I got to where I could shoot good, consistent groups, that all translated direclty to larger calibers and longer ranges. In any case, have fun and be safe.
Statement right on!!

I have been shooting for about 75 years, since I was 8, and was taught by my father who was a competitive shooter. I am just new to LR
Just my 1cent: don't pay a lot for a class. YouTube is your friend. If the guys can explain spin drift basics, wind effects for every x amount of wind (angles too) and you have a decent ballistics app, you're good to go.
What is the furthest you have shot? Big 338s are very forgiving.
btw, you are amazing for being 83 and willing to get smacked by that 338 :) God bless you

100 yds measured competition small bore MANY years ago.
My father was Small Bore champion of CA in the 1930s. '36 I think.
I plinked with 45-70 Gov , .308, 12ga. at greater distance but never measured them. First fired the 45-70 at age 8 (I weighed 70 pounds). But, that had an easier kick with black powder loads. I am a bit apprehensive about the 338 and hope the Savage Tank brake will be sufficient.

You got me by couple of years, Been shooting from age 5 and now 72 yrs old. I have a 338 Win Mag that use to kit the hell out of me back in the early 2000. It was my friend rifle. A few years later I was able buy the rifle. It sat in the gun save for years. About 5 years ago I had a muzzle brake put on it. It's fun to shot now, and my go to rifle. Put a brake on it and have a little kitten to stop.
SSS
Mike

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.