They're all trophies with a bow...

Okay, story time....in Oregon it is perfectly legal to hunt big game over bait for everything except bear. So deer, elk and mountain lion are okay to bait. My cousin and I maintain two ranches here in the southern Oregon coast and we get hunting access because of our work. When we started there were 11 elk on one of the ranches and now 10 years later there are 55. We host two purple heart recipients every year to bow hunt with us (www.whhc.org). After they fill their tags, it's our turn. They hunt, we harvest. We set them up with ground blinds and that's what we call a hunt. Our meat harvest involves throwing apples until the elk are 20 yards or less and then waiting until one gets broadside without any other elk behind it....we get a pass through every time. Double-lung shot and they're dead in less than 10 seconds. I'm an honest guy and I had to tell the truth...go ahead, let the beatings begin 😆

Couldn't agree more. I believe Fred said, just an encounter is a success.

I'm happy to just be here, anything else is a bonus.
image.jpg

Thanks for understanding the elk meat harvest everyone!
Now this is truly a HUNT; a mature blacktail buck is a very difficult animal to hunt with a bow. They are a very nocturnal animal and the only time they drop their guard is during their rut; even then, they're very spooky and they avoid any open areas and they only show early in the morning and late in the evening. I got this guy early this morning and I couldn't be more pleased. A true hunting trophy and I'm sure he will be delicious.

Attachments

• 20241027_091356.jpg
    20241027_091356.jpg
    781.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 20241027_091339.jpg
    20241027_091339.jpg
    794.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 20241027_081922.jpg
    20241027_081922.jpg
    373.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20241027_082302.jpg
    20241027_082302.jpg
    431.7 KB · Views: 8
Thanks for understanding the elk meat harvest everyone!
Now this is truly a HUNT; a mature blacktail buck is a very difficult animal to hunt with a bow. They are a very nocturnal animal and the only time they drop their guard is during their rut; even then, they're very spooky and they avoid any open areas and they only show early in the morning and late in the evening. I got this guy early this morning and I couldn't be more pleased. A true hunting trophy and I'm sure he will be delicious.
I've heard they are very elusive. Congratulations! By the way, how do you like that Hoyt?

Thank you very much. I shoot the Hoyt Defiant it has a carbon fiber riser, so it is very light weight and I really like it. It is very smooth and fast
Don't mean to hijack the thread,but I had a defiant. I loved it,but the grip just didn't fit me right,tried 2 different ones. When I was on,I was on,but I would throw a wild shot every now and then. Now I'm shooting a Bowtech Carbon Icon. The grip just fits me.