These are a plague upon our deer camp

Problem is that Hogs are intelligent. You would get one shoot out of one spot and they would not return to that spot again. One lesson is all it takes for them to learn. In that respect they are a lot like coyotes; except they eat anything and everything and reproduce much faster than coyotes.

So, we all whoop and holler when we kill one like the one pictured above...but His offspring shall still have dominion because we can't kill them fast enough.

One time I killed two pigs with one shot from my 270 WSM. I thought I was something then. But to even slow down their constant increase, I would have to kill 3 with every shot!

Problem is that Hogs are intelligent.
Yeah, this is why trapping systems that catch entire sounders are about the only way to make a dent in the populations. Missouri banned hog hunting on public lands because it wasn't doing anything to reduce numbers, switched over to trapping and has actually seen improvements.

I'm fortunate and haven't seen any hog signs on my place in Arkansas, but one place in Texas is just overrun and no one seems serious about eradication.

Another sow hog. Rifle is Sauer 100 in the mighty 6.5 Creedmoor.

Attachments

• 20231227_161952.jpg
    20231227_161952.jpg
    719.9 KB · Views: 20