Hog and deer feeder.

Others may not share my opinion, but if you are talking about the 30 gallon bolt together plastic feeder, I would give it a pass. I have had 2. Both ended up leaking at the bolted seam. One leaked because a boar knocked over the feeder and it cracked the flanges (bolting lips) in the fall. The other leaked because the seal/gasket rotted. Squirrels got a hole into the lid of one of them. In short, they just are not very durable compared to metal barrels.

As for metal barrel versions, I don't like any that have holes drilled into the barrel to mount the legs. They will leak as well, eventually.

This is the best type in my opinion. The box type is easy to transport, set up, and fill. All welded. With feeders, you really do get what you pay for. I mainly hunt hogs year round with mine. The feeder light in the image is one I just developed for hog hunting. The image is from my website but shows the box type feeder. I believe mine holds 300# of corn and has a welded cage on it to protect the spinner. I love it.
PVC_mounting_system_on-box-feeder-with-solar.png

I will have to come out of retirement and back to work. Lol

If you have hogs, they will destroy the plastic tripod feeders. They knock them over even if you stake them into the ground and then throw the barrels up in the air until the top pops off to get to the corn. Also, squirrels climb them and chew holes in the lids and racoons destroy them from the bottom. I bought several and finally modified them to hang from a cable off the ground to keep the critters out of them. They work great now.

I ran a cable between two trees, then I added a pulley halfway down the cable hanging under the cable. I then ran a second cable through the pulley to the barrel at one end and to a boat trailer winch at the other end attached to a tree. I also modified the plastic barrel so the lid wouldn't get pinched hoisting it and to have something to attach the cable. I added a "long" eye bolt outside the barrel on each side with 2 washers and 2 nuts on each eyebolt to snug them against the barrel after I screwed both eye bolts to the turnbuckle on the inside of the barrel. The turnbuckle inside screwed to the long eyebolts keeps the barrel from squeezing together. I then attached a cable to each eyebolt so that it forms an inverted "V" above the lid, the cable coming down from the pulley attaches to this cable. The legs come in 2 or 3 sections. I screwed one section only to each of the 3 brackets, so they don't fall out and the barrel has something to sit on when I lower the barrel to fill it without crushing the dispenser/timer. Critters don't get in it anymore.

This also makes it easy to fill as it's not too high anymore. Instead of using a tree, you could make a #7 shaped or inverted "U" shaped post to attach the pulley.

Attachments

• Anti-hog Feeder.pdf
    384.2 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
If interested in going cheap: I go with a 55gal metal drum, moultrie or similar bolt on legs, and a simple bolt on spinner box. You will always have 175 in them, but they are a much better solution.

Last edited:
I've had one of the Moultrie's out for the past 5 years. The legs are flimsy and hogs and cattle will mess them up if you don't t-post them like the photo. The feeder in the pic was set up in May 2017 and I feed year round so has been in use constantly since then. It hasn't leaked, but has faded really bad.

Attachments

• IMG_1347.jpg
    IMG_1347.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 80
Checked the forum but didn't find anything. Looking for an economical feeder or 2. Moultrie 30 any good. I know i will have to stake the legs down. Advice needed. Thank you.
For the pigs go to Wally world get some powdered fruit punch drink mix and add to corn and pour it on the ground. For the deer we use 55 gallon metal drums with gravity feeders and silicon between the legs and drum to prevent leaks and fill with protein pellets. We haven't had any issues with pigs messing with the protein pellets

We've had the best results and longevity with box feeders and the suspended/crank up barrel type where the barrel is suspended on a cable hanging from the top of a tall tripod. The suspended type run about $400, but will last years. And they are raccoon proof.
The box feeder below is $299 and holds 300# of corn.
1658183402322.png
1658183585814.png

Be aware that the corn you buy (Wal-Mart, TSC, etc.) may be contaminated with aflatoxins.
This has been shown to be one of the causes of our declining turkey populations here in TN. One kernel is enough to kill a turkey.
Some Co-Ops sell aflatoxin-free corn.
Here's where I get my corn I did not know about the alpha toxins, Just like the sign says 24/7 8pounds for one dollar!
6F5CD1CC-A71A-496F-998B-AEE725C62578.jpeg
image.jpg

For the pigs go to Wally world get some powdered fruit punch drink mix and add to corn and pour it on the ground. For the deer we use 55 gallon metal drums with gravity feeders and silicon between the legs and drum to prevent leaks and fill with protein pellets. We haven't had any issues with pigs messing with the protein pellets
I shouldn't be letting this out but my secret weapon is Comeer deer corn coat!

Be aware that the corn you buy (Wal-Mart, TSC, etc.) may be contaminated with aflatoxins.
This has been shown to be one of the causes of our declining turkey populations here in TN. One kernel is enough to kill a turkey.
Some Co-Ops sell aflatoxin-free corn.
All corn can be contaminated.