The Ultimate Hunting Bullet

the above post makes me think of an old saying:
you can please some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you'll never please all of the people all of the time

The Barnes MRX with sintered tungsten in the rear was your bullet. A bit expensive, so now it is the TTSX or LRX. It's pic was posted on the first page of this thread.

I will make this as short as possible. I have never had good luck with Nosler Partitions. when all my friends and hunting guys I was hanging around were using the partitions; I was still using Barnes X-bullets and making better harvests than they were. I will not allow something sub par projectiles to be in my gun. Barnes has proven itself to be superior to Nosler partititons. I use nosler AccuBond in my 375 H&H. I use Nosler Varmageddon in my 22-250. Mostly I use Barnes when it comes down to hunting slugs. I have recently, discovered that Berger has worked it's way into my long range loads and has done an excellent job in my 270's, 300 W/M, and 17 Rem. the "ultimate hunting slug" does not exist in my opinion. nothing will have the same characteristics at 50 yards, 250 yards, 500 yards, 750 yards or at 1,000 yards. one slug can not have the properties of 5 to 6 slugs all wrapped up in one slug. one reason that I like Barnes for hunting out to 500 yards and Berger 600 yards out to 1,760 yards.

Any critter 350 lbs or less, I find the 162 gr Amax to be the ticket. Never lost an animal to the amax.

terminal-performance.png

Sciroccos have been working well for me.

Almost any cup and core bullet will kill any Deer,Elk or Moose as long as the bullet is put in the right place.I don`t shoot out of my comfort range which is 400 yards + -.Wind plays too much of a factor in long range shooting unless you can dope it while looking through your scope.Whether a bullet exits or not does not matter to me.Practice,patience
and good observation will generally get you the animal type you are hunting.JMHO,Huntz

terminal-performance.png

Sciroccos have been working well for me.
Which is why you need magnum cartridges and/or higher velocities when using Sciroccos at longer ranges. You want that bullet impacting at close to 2700 for good performance. But it would not work so well in standard cartridges at longer distances. Again just an illustration of the required trade-off in Velocity/Mass, Expansion/Penetration.

What everyone would like to have is that center photo performance at all ranges. It doesn't exist yet.

When I was still making long range, high bc bullets a few years ago, I experimented with a partition, of sorts, that performed very well. I was making 308 sized bullets for my 30 mag. I found by running a thin Sierra jacket and a much shorter 257 jacket swaged backwards inside the 30, I could make a very effective long range bullet that worked like a partition up close. It took two cores and was a bit complicated but worked very well. I also had an aluminum ballistic tip very much like the new Atip.

Yea. Back in the 70's and 80's, we used pistol gas checks to accomplish a similar style when swaging. We played with cast bottom cores with soft swaged fronts, various flux bonding, etc. In the 22/6mm bullets, we even played with expended primers with their anvils removed and swaged over the bottom cores. Most worked well and gave a very similar result as the Partitions. The 30 cals we made were rebated BT designs which had higher BC's then the typical factory BT of the day.

Which is why you need magnum cartridges and/or higher velocities when using Sciroccos at longer ranges. You want that bullet impacting at close to 2700 for good performance. But it would not work so well in standard cartridges at longer distances. Again just an illustration of the required trade-off in Velocity/Mass, Expansion/Penetration.

What everyone would like to have is that center photo performance at all ranges. It doesn't exist yet.

Well, we are discussing LRH, so high vel is common. However, I have used these in both 30-06 and 270, and at 600 or so, they performed well. My 300 RUMs have much more reach, and clay testing at 1,000yds has not disappointed. The farthest I have shot an elk with the Scirocco is 890 yds, and I was not disappointed in the performance. I do live and shoot at 8,000'+ ASL, so my velocities stay higher at longer distance. YMMV

my opinion only and not directed at anyone in particular,

get a bigger cartridge with a larger caliber bullet, there are far too many people out in the field these days with mini guns that barely carry enough energy to kill a bunny beyond 500 yards, they preach shot placement then shoot at game and go on a blood trail/tracking excursion, *** ?

If you shot an animal with a rifle, it MUST go down STAT ! if not .... you are simply mortally wounding it and waiting for it to eventually die, then high five each other on your prowess

get a bigger gun and learn how to use it, where the hell did all the MEN go ? all I hear these days is terrified little beeches freaking out over a bit of recoil
Amen brother

I'm not so sure that Swift Siroccos don't do what you are asking. High bc and great terminal performance. Have had great results with them on elk and pronghorn with 6.5-284 and 260's. As well as I have shot them on to steel out to 950. May be worth a look. I'm still a fan of *Rule 1 Violation*al shots on anamal s under 600 yards for the average joe, not to slam proficient shooters who shoot on a regular basis.
Just my 2 cents.
I also am a fan of the Swift Sorocco II's, have shot five deer with my Rem 700 7RUM from 20 yds to 500 yds instant kills w/complete pass thru

I have long been a fan of two bullet types:

1. The Partition/A frame design
2. The VLD/High bc, penetrate 2" and open violently dumping energy design

These are very different models, but to me it has always seemed that the best of both worlds would be a VLD shaped Partition with a thinner jacket that would penetrate 2", open aggressively, but still retain some mass to ensure an exit.

Basically, I think it is time for Nosler to modernize the Partition. Don't blast me tradition NP fans, I would suggest doing this as a 2nd offering, not a replacement. The traditional NP still has it's place for shorter ranges and tougher game.

Thoughts?
Try Nosler LR Accubond. It's a fantastic bullet for hunting close or long range. Best of luck!

Try Nosler LR Accubond. It's a fantastic hunting bullet fir both close or long range. Best of luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.