The .25-06 and .25-06 Improved By J.C. Munnell

Gondini may be long-gone, since he last posted on this thread a couple of months ago. I've found 400 yards to be pretty easy with the .25-06 & 115 gr Berger VLD bullets. This is with a standard, factory built Rem 700 CDL & fixed 6x scope. I suspect in a rifle built specifically for long range shooting, 500 yards simply wouldn't be a problem for the .25-06 cartridge.

And further, if I had a good .270 and wanted to shoot coyotes and deer, I wouldn't bother re-barreling, I'd just go shoot coyotes and deer. There's just not that much practical difference between the two cartridges...

Regards, Guy

And further, if I had a good .270 and wanted to shoot coyotes and deer, I wouldn't bother re-barreling, I'd just go shoot coyotes and deer. There's just not that much practical difference between the two cartridges...

Regards, Guy

I agree if you have one you don't need the other but
the real truth is
270 win 120 gr 3281 fps energy 2869
270 wsm 120 gr 3309 fps energy 2919
25-06 AI 87 gr 3920 fps energy 2969

I am interested in the 25-06 as well as the 25-06AI. Could you tell me what the expected barrel life (round count ) would be from a premium grade barrel ?

My 25-06 AI only lasted me a little over 25 years before the throat went away.
this was a Douglas XX barrel.
all total I shot more than 3,000 rounds through it

Thanks for the reply, thats exactly what I needed to know. Now I need to make the decision to go w/ the 25-06 , the 25-06 AI or the 6mm/284. Ammunition availability seems to be best w/ the 25-06 as far as I can tell. Since I do not yet reload.

lobster, I just finished a 6mm-284, 1-12T project. Was able to cryno 4000fps with 66grain pills and really like the cartridge. However after thinking about this article and always wanting a 25.06 I am building one too, just can't have enough caliber choices in the safe:D

Wow how exciting is that. !!!!, What kind of groups were you getting w/ the 284 ? What kind of barrel did you use ? Bedded action? Is it a 1000 yd gun ? Good for you, I hope the 06 will work out a good shooter as well. Would like to here how it does when it's completed.

Wow how exciting is that. !!!!, What kind of groups were you getting w/ the 284 ? What kind of barrel did you use ? Bedded action? Is it a 1000 yd gun ? Good for you, I hope the 06 will work out a good shooter as well. Would like to here how it does when it's completed.

Best 3-shot, 100yard group to date is 0.134" on centers ( at 3840 fps), then when pushed to 4000 fps groups open up to just under 0.250". At 620 ft sea level and 37 degree temps I decided to only use the 4000 fps loads for live varmint to save any throat erosin, bench shooting eats up a larger amount of ammo. The barrel is a E.R. Shaw, S.S. 1.250" straight no tapper, 26" length, action bedded and pillered, 24X optics. With a 1-12T and 66grain pills, 800 yards would be with in reason to take varmints :cool:

I am looking forward to this 25-06 build thou :D

Thanks for the reply, thats exactly what I needed to know. Now I need to make the decision to go w/ the 25-06 , the 25-06 AI or the 6mm/284. Ammunition availability seems to be best w/ the 25-06 as far as I can tell. Since I do not yet reload.
well when you do start reloading youll probably wish you went with the 25-06, 25-06AI, and the 6mm-06. you can use the same cases.:D

Update for my 25AI. this yr I shot my antelope at "only" 300yds. I only had a head shot, so I took it. WOW what a smack from the 115gr nosler Btip. Later in the season I shot a mulie at approx, (it was down hill) 500yds. the doe was coming up a steep draw; butt facing me. Finally she turned enough for a decent side shot. I took out both lungs and top of the heart. Again the nosler worked great. I run the bullet 100fps slower than a 257wthby. (3300) When I target shoot I control barrel heat; thats the real killer in barrels. anyway, its been alot of work forming brass and working an accurate load up. I think my DAD would be proud. I know I am.

I tried afew ways to fire form brass. the cream of wheat I thought was messy. I used winchester brass 25-06(new) and now using remington270 (new). the best way(for me) is loading a light load with a faster powder. I learned this from nosler. It works and helped with primer pocket issues I had with the winchester brass. I like the 270 because I can trim the brass to max length, incase it wants to shrink. some do, most dont. also I use a cheap 117 bullet set to touch the rifling. I shoot very slow so not to over heat the barrel.

I posted in this forum back in August, when I joined and finally took my 25-06 varmint to the range 3 weeks ago and started out at 200 yds because that is where my friend was and I could not believe how accurate my rifle was. I achieved better accuracy at 200 yds, than I was accustomed to getting at 100 yds. It made me think and believe that I would definitely take a 300 - 400 yd shot and my longest shot was 220-230 with 30-06 semi-auto BAR and 742. Just this week I completed the acquisition of a Sig SHR 970 25-06 that was a tack driver down at the 50 yd range. I was debating giving it back to the seller before I shot it. I noticed today that the Simmons scope on the Sig power adj ring was frozen between 6x-7x. It has some cosmetic barrel scars, but they did not interfere with the accuracy. In October I acquired another Sig SHR 970 in 30-06 which also included the .270 win barrel. This model SHR 970 has a takedown barrel system similar to JP Sauer & Sohn model 200/202. I have a LH 200 in 30-06. The Sigs are RH rifles along with my varmint 25-06. gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.