The 1 add-on that almost every single stage press should have

Tricky,
I have been using this for years and not noticed any adverse effects. When I load my .408 with this same press I have to unscrew the adapter for my Cheytac dies to fit. Haven't noticed anything yet, if I do I'll post it. This is after sizing straight walled 2.375" .510 cal cases litterally hundreds of times.

You know in that area you can hunt with a rifle cartridge right? :D

I'm very familiar with the Big Rapids area. I grew up in White Cloud, the exit before BR. And I now own some property in Reed City, the exit past BR.

North of M46 you can hunt with anything that goes boom up to and including a 50 Barrett... and beyond.

You have a PM btw

Good point Gary and why I've never considered the Lee Breech Lock system with the inserts. From a physical perspective, don't look like much in the way of accurate and repeatable locating there...

I like the rotating turret presses myself like the Lyman and the Redding.

I like the idea of using a reaction bar like Redding uses, but would have preferred two
located at the one thirty and ten thirty positions. Each having a solid cam follower to take the energy. Then we'd probably see a dent form in the rotating plate on down the road unless the plate was thru hardened. I think the Redding turret press would be an interesting press to experiment with.

Myself, I will often setup my Co-Ax to resize the brass, and then right beside it I will have the K&M setup to seat bullets. A little awkward, but results are nice. I've even used the Devine MS. G setting on a stool beside me to seat bullets while I do the dirty work. She's convinced that she can build match ammo with one pull on the lever. Of course I never tell her the difference as I usually stay in trouble anyway.

Back to that 1.25" thread a minute. Cast iron is well known for it lubrication properties, and is very receptacle to lubrication. Good but also a problem. Cast iron is usually pretty soft and also very un-flexable. You screw in the insert, and right away you know you have clearance in the threads (even with a jam nut). Under high pressure the threads will move inside the female thread form. As they move they will distort and wear the female thread. What we need is a softer sleeve (than standard cast iron), or else the ability to use chilled cast iron in the frame. Then make the threaded bushing out of something like pretreat 4150. Chilled cast iron is harder than your ex wife's voice in court! Yet a bear to work with. Yet had they made the frame from cast steel instead, they could have flame hardened the area in question. Or better yet simply nitrided the entire press frame after machining.

gary

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.