Thanks LRH family!

That's helpful and makes sense. I have 10 more loaded. I'm going to shoot them in two groups of five this week.
Well done! It's inspiring to see folks that ask for advice.. actually take advice...it's not always the case...you will do very well, and excellent shooting by the way!!!
P.S.....if you happen to need any advice on HOW TO MAKE A MISTAKE....feel free to pm me...53 years of reloading....I hope by now....I've made them All....fingers X'd. !😊

Well done! It's inspiring to see folks that ask for advice.. actually take advice...it's not always the case...you will do very well, and excellent shooting by the way!!!
P.S.....if you happen to need any advice on HOW TO MAKE A MISTAKE....feel free to pm me...53 years of reloading....I hope by now....I've made them All....fingers X'd. !😊
Thank you!!

Let me know how the 243 works out.
Will get it shooting this week, hopefully. Fire formed 20 pieces of brass so I just need to work up some stuff. Gonna start with 103 Eld-X and 95 grain NBT for whitetail. Trying to decide between the powders I have in hand. I still have a pretty limited bench with only
IMR 4350
IMR 4831
H-1000
Varget

Went out this morning and shot another four shot group. I only waited one minute between shots as it was a very cool morning in the high 40s. Same hand load, same result as the OP to this thread. . This is the third 4-shot group that has measured like this. Well under half an inch, so I think I'm going to load up 50 of these. I'm also excited about a partition load that is looking very promising. Now I'm going to adjust my zero since these groups are all hitting low, then shoot a couple of groups to confirm and I'm ready for this fall!

Thanks again everyone for the feedback and input.

IMG_7526.jpeg

Went out this morning and shot another four shot group. I only waited one minute between shots as it was a very cool morning in the high 40s. Same hand load, same result as the OP to this thread. . This is the third 4-shot group that has measured like this. Well under half an inch, so I think I'm going to load up 50 of these. I'm also excited about a partition load that is looking very promising. Now I'm going to adjust my zero since these groups are all hitting low, then shoot a couple of groups to confirm and I'm ready for this fall!

View attachment 596079
Great shooting and well on your way to addiction, LOL and have fun
😂

View attachment 596079
That's excellent. One thing though. If you plan to shoot further hunting I would really suggest you test it out to the max distance you would take a shot. Sometimes very good 100 yd groups can open up quite a bit in degrees/moa as you get some more distance.

Excellent work. That's a great seemingly consistent shooting group.

That's excellent. One thing though. If you plan to shoot further hunting I would really suggest you test it out to the max distance you would take a shot. Sometimes very good 100 yd groups can open up quite a bit in degrees/moa as you get some more distance.

Excellent work. That's a great seemingly consistent shooting group.
Thanks, Tim. That's helpful. I took one shot yesterday at 400 yards but it was on a large piece of 8 inch steel. I did hit it, but not sure where on the steel the bullet pit. That had me dialing 4.6 minutes. 400 yards, for me, is the outer limit for now. I think maybe today I will shoot a group at that range and see how it does.

I would love to stretch it on out to 600 yards which is the max limit on my range.

Wanted to share this. The primary reason I became a member here was because I wanted to get into reloading and I didn't know where to start or what the first steps even looked like. The LRH community has been so helpful and friendly and accommodating. There's so many good guys here who have helped me along the way and I'm really grateful. And very little ego. I feel like everyone here genuinely wants everyone else to succeed and figure out what works best for them. I'm still learning a ton and have so far to go but I finally got my primary hunting rifle dialed in with a load that consistently shoots 1/4 - 3/8 inch groups with the load I've been able to develop. And I don't really know what I'm doing! Total novice. My first group was shooting 1.5–2 inch groups, but I had loaded it very light just out of caution. Assuming it is not inappropriate to share my load data. I'm just really excited and would love to hear any insight or input that will help me develop as a reloader and shooter. I'm wanting to work up below for partitions, and ELD-X. Posting picture of the first four, the second four look the same and opened the group up by 1/10.

Thanks for reading and looking!

This is rifle/load:
Tikka 7 mag
160 grain Accubonds
H-1000
1x fired Nosler brass
Fed primers
COAL 3.297
2900 fps over two four shot groups.
100 yards

View attachment 594829
Run the numbers for that bullet and the speed you attained and see what distance it's below 1800FPS. That's your maximum kill distance. I've heard bullets don't open well below 1800FPS unless they're designed specifically for under that speed.

Ok last update on this thread that I wanted to share. I shot a four shot group at 300 yards this morning and it measured 1.6". Shot off of the hood of my truck and feel like it wasn't quite rock solid so I feel good about it. This load seems to be consistently .5" or less at 100.

This morning's group would have opened it to .55" but all previous 100 yard groups are averaging 3/8" for four shots. I'm gonna lock this recipe down!

Thanks again for everything.

Last edited: