Tacoma Chains

Flight635

Drew a 2nd season elk tag this year in CO. Going over my list of gear and I think I need some tire chains. I've driven in the mountains but have never been out this late in the past. I have a bone stock 23 Tacoma SR with 245/75R16 tires on it. Any recommendations for chains?

I would get actual chains. The v-bar style are a little better. Don't get the quick chains, tires socks, etc.

Etrailer.com usually has good prices. I also like the tighteners that look like kind of like spider webs or a wheel hub with spokes. A couple more dollars but they work well. The black band style can be really hard to stretch in the cold, but work just fine.

I like to carry a set of 4 in the winter, but you may get by with a set of 2 for the rear tires only. A floor mat can be a makeshift traction mat if you really need.

Make sure to have a shovel, and a tow strap. In second season it could be sunny and decent or blizzard. So be prepared!

Chadp82 has good advice. One thing I would add is a chain saw.

Throw in a tow strap and jumper cables too.
In lieu of the jumper cable, get a jump starter instead, they are fairly cheap. I have one in all my vehicles. It eliminates the need for another vehicle to jump it. Interestingly, my troop used mine yesterday to jump his 6.7 diesel with dual batteries to get it started.

+1 etrailer for chains. Practice putting them on in driveway. Once you established the locking link's, put flo orange zip tie on link so when you are on back in blizzard under truck, the lock link will jump out and easy button. I had to chain up in 2019 just south of WY border in order to bug out during blizzard. Over 5' fell in 3 days! Chains on in eye blink while other trucks lot of cussing.

Have spikes cork chains for rear V bar front shovel . A buddy in jump seat and say passenger pushes!!!!! AND yes practice the install. I had a summer job then haul logs in winter! Keeps your attention. Kind of interesting sometimes. When things get quiet time to get on the throttle a little!!!

In lieu of the jumper cable, get a jump starter instead, they are fairly cheap. I have one in all my vehicles. It eliminates the need for another vehicle to jump it. Interestingly, my troop used mine yesterday to jump his 6.7 diesel with dual batteries to get it started.
IMO those packs are not a replacement for cables, it's ok to have both but I wouldn't rely solely on the booster pack. I've had them work but I've also had them not.

IMO those packs are not a replacement for cables, it's ok to have both but I wouldn't rely solely on the booster pack. I've had them work but I've also had them not.
Good point! I too have them both. I have three of them jumper starter, though.😎

I know we have gone beyond the tire chain, but I also carry other things in my truck: first aid kit, sleeping bag, extra change of clothes, water, back packing stove, hatchet/ax, fishing pole, fire starter, MREs, flag lights, etc …

Last edited:
is it a SR with 4x4? Chains aren't usually enough. Matter of fact, chains aren't always required if you have 4x4.

I have a 19 Tacoma TRD pro, amongst other 4x4s. Tires matter. 3 peak mountain snowflake rated. Even then, there's some slip and slide on ice. You're not going to get around sliding on packed ice. You'll slide on chains too.

The MTS and lockers feature is the most useful thing for getting out of some stuff. I'm not sure the SRs have that? Honestly, call me bougie, but I've never been in anything not a pro or TRD offroad.

A shovel and a winch is also highly recommended like others have mentioned above. With a winch comes needing some others stuff like a snatch block, tree saver, and a recovery point on the truck. All of which gets expensive fast. Traction boards are useful too.

IMG_0638.jpeg

is it a SR with 4x4? Chains aren't usually enough. Matter of fact, chains aren't always required if you have 4x4.

I have a 19 Tacoma TRD pro, amongst other 4x4s. Tires matter. 3 peak mountain snowflake rated. Even then, there's some slip and slide on ice. You're not going to get around sliding on packed ice. You'll slide on chains too.

The MTS and lockers feature is the most useful thing for getting out of some stuff. I'm not sure the SRs have that? Honestly, call me bougie, but I've never been in anything not a pro or TRD offroad.

A shovel and a winch is also highly recommended like others have mentioned above. With a winch comes needing some others stuff like a snatch block, tree saver, and a recovery point on the truck. All of which gets expensive fast. Traction boards are useful too.

View attachment 602900
Throw in an axe - there is always room!

I think the advice to practice in the driveway is good! In addition, put them on before you need them. When you are thinking maybe I should chain up, it's probably best to just do it.

I can tell you that chaining up too late is awful. A lot of digging, crawling around in the snow, and they never seem to fit they should when you are cold and frustrated.