Sylvan Arms Gen 3 Folder misfires

USAFRet

I installed a Gen 3 folder on a 300 AAC rifle. I took it to the range today and was getting misfires about every 5-6 rounds. I had to rerack the slide and was able to fire the round. For those who have installed a folder, is this an issue that is common? Is there anything on the rifle I need to check to make sure the round is going into battery and the firing pin is getting full contact? Thanks.

I have a l.a.w. folding adapter and the sylvan appears to be a copy of it so I'll throw out a possibility

The bolt carrier extension adds weight to your bcg--- if your gas pressure to the bolt was on the lower side then it might now be short stroking as with the extra weight it's under gassed.

2 ways to fix this--
#1-open your adjustable gas block ( if you have one) or enlarge the gas port
#2- change out your buffer to a lighter one or remove some of the internal weights

Contact Sylvan to find out how much their bolt extension weighs (or just weigh it yourself)--- then find a buffer that is lighter by that amount of weight

--kak sells a kit that is adjustable from 1.7oz up to 5.6, and tacom sells an ultralight .8oz buffer set too.

I have a l.a.w. folding adapter and the sylvan appears to be a copy of it so I'll throw out a possibility

The bolt carrier extension adds weight to your bcg--- if your gas pressure to the bolt was on the lower side then it might now be short stroking as with the extra weight it's under gassed.

2 ways to fix this--
#2- change out your buffer to a lighter one or remove some of the internal weights

Contact Sylvan to find out how much their bolt extension weighs (or just weigh it yourself)--- then find a buffer that is lighter by that amount of weight

--kak sells a kit that is adjustable from 1.7oz up to 5.6, and tacom sells an ultralight .8oz buffer set too.
Just the information I needed. Short stroking makes sense. I was shooting 110 and 125 grain bullets, so they are pretty light, as well.

He hit the nail on the head.
If you choose to do the gas port route get a set of millimeter bits and go up bit by bit size until you get it to cycle and eject properly.

2 ways to fix this--

I ordered the adjustable buffer kit. I like the idea of being able to tune it, plus I have a suppressor on the way and without an adjustable gas block, it will help to have these.

If you end up over gassed, an adj gas block is the best way to go as its much easier to adjust "on the fly" for different kinds of ammo or on/off of a suppressor ( they arent jard to install and I prefer the front detent adjustable from superlative arms)
right now it sounds like you are under gassed due to the added weight of the bcg extension, so a lighter buffer should fix the issue--- if you add a suppressor later you might be able to go back to a std weight buffer

Good luck, let us know how it turns out

Being undergassed on a light weight bullet should be impossible, unless it's a low powered round. I have a law folder on a 300bo 8.5" barrel, non-adjustable block and no suppressor. Get a box of pmc 147gr fmj and IF those don't cycle, then you might try a lighter buffer? BTW, the spring and buffer are standard weight/tension. I know the bullets are a little heavier, but that means less powder also. Pressure changes also along with volume. These are with lancer mags witch can be an issue, but so far haven't. Odin and strike industries makes an adjustable buffer also.

I shoot 110-185grs in both 8.5" bo's from AP (1 is a complete upper and the other was my build, but their barrel).

If it is then you are dealing with the same thing I have.
Loosen the set screws off and tap the gas block towards the muzzle until you can see the hole in the barrel.
I used a millimeter drill bit set to find out what size the hole was.
I then went up 1 size at a time until it functioned correctly.
Been rocking and rolling ever since