Switch barrel backpack rifle build

Just built a 280 ai off an old savage. Love the round. With a 20" and R26 you should be able to get 2800 with a 162 eldx or m. I'm getting 2950 with a 24".

308. I have a 308 with a 20" barrel. Its light, swings fast and you the 30 cal bullet selection is one of the best of all the calibers out there.
I've taken a lot of game with the 308.
It also will feed fine out of the standard length and there isn't any need to change bolt face for it.

There isn't much to gain with changing cartridges and staying with standard bolt face. Meaning 30-06, 280AI, 308, 270, 6.5-06 are all so close ballistically speaking for hunting purposes you really don't gain anything by switching, other than something new and different for you ( which is always a good reason). 280AI is your best all around choice IMO

There isn't much to gain with changing cartridges and staying with standard bolt face. Meaning 30-06, 280AI, 308, 270, 6.5-06 are all so close ballistically speaking for hunting purposes you really don't gain anything by switching, other than something new and different for you ( which is always a good reason). 280AI is your best all around choice IMO
This is true. The only thing I will add is that a 7mm bullet will have a higher bc and sd than the same bullet weight in 30 caliber. Which means you can shoot a lighter bullet and get more speed to help make up for the shorter barrel. To get the same bc as a 160 7mm you need a 200 gr bullet.

I've decided to stick with the 280AI….i just can't find another round that is different enough to warrant the extra dies, brass, etc. The whole idea with the switch barrel setup was economy and simplicity from the beginning, and I think this satisfies that. But the rifle will still be handling range duty and hunting season looking pretty different.

I think I've also spent enough time researching that I'm now thinking of a new build with a magnum bolt face.