Switch barrel backpack rifle build

sierrastalker

I'm looking to build up a backpack hunting rifle with a short barrel in the 18-20" length range. It's on a switch barrel setup for a tikka action. I've currently got the rifle configured with a prefit 26" Carbon 6 barrel chambered in 280 AI. It's sitting in an MDT LSS XL chassis with a pretty light Trijicon Tenmile HX scope. That setup is the best shooting rifle I've ever had, it's so consistent out to 850 yards (farthest I can get to at my local range) that it's almost boring.....almost. but it comes in at 11 lbs flat. I carried it deep on a backpacking trip this fall and it was fine, but obviously not ideal. I love the chassis and long barrel for range work and hog hunting where I'm not walking 15 miles a day. My only kill so far was a hog at 525 yards, one shot, DRT, shooting a Hammer Hunter 131 at 3232 fps.

So I want to drop it into a XLR Element Magnesium chassis setup for minimal weight. The XLR uses the same Tikka specific AICS mags as the current chassis, and ideally I'd stick to a long action caliber based on the 30-06 parent case. This will allow me to just spin off the long 280AI barrel, spin the new shorty on and drop it into the lighter chassis. Same bolt face, same bolt stop, same mags, etc. Keep it as simple as possible. I'll lose approx 2 lbs 4oz from the chassis switch alone. I'm definitely going with another Carbon 6 barrel in their featherweight profile and shorter length, so I should realize some add'l weight savings there vs the 26" sendero profile barrel it's got now. Not gonna end up ultralight, but should be much more comfortable to carry long distance!

I'm so tempted to go with another 280AI just because I've had such good luck with this cartridge in terms of finding a ton of bullets that work with really great accuracy, I've got dies and 300 pieces of brass and plenty of powder and bullets to choose from in the cabinet. Not to mention it's just a great all around hunting cartridge. But that just feels BORING....if I'm gonna make the switch seems like I should actually change it up to something else. The savings in both time searching and money spent on all the components is attractive, though.

So that was a long way to get to my question: what chamber and barrel length do you guys think I should go for? I'd like to keep the ability to shoot at game to 650. I'm also not sure exactly how much velocity I'll be sacrificing with a shorter barrel...I know it'll depend on the cartridge somewhat.

I do also have a ton of 30-06 components, along with 7mm-08, and 6.5 CM. So, I could of course switch out the bolt stop and mags and run something short action too, as long as it uses the same bolt face. I don't really want to switch that out....again in the interest of simplicity.

Last edited:
I'm looking to build up a backpack hunting rifle with a short barrel in the 18-20" length range. It's on a switch barrel setup for a tikka action. I've currently got the rifle configured with a prefit 26" Carbon 6 barrel chambered in 280 AI. It's sitting in an MDT LSS XL chassis with a pretty light Trijicon Tenmile HX scope. That setup is the best shooting rifle I've ever had, it's so consistent out to 850 yards (farthest I can get to at my local range) that it's almost boring.....almost. but it comes in at 11 lbs flat. I carried it deep on a backpacking trip this fall and it was fine, but obviously not ideal. I love the chassis and long barrel for range work and hog hunting where I'm not walking 15 miles a day. My only kill so far was a hog at 525 yards, one shot, DRT, shooting a Hammer Hunter 131 at 3232 fps.

So I want to drop it into a XLR Element Magnesium chassis setup for minimal weight. The XLR uses the same Tikka specific AICS mags as the current chassis, and ideally I'd stick to a long action caliber based on the 30-06 parent case. This will allow me to just spin off the long 280AI barrel, spin the new shorty on and drop it into the lighter chassis. Same bolt face, same bolt stop, same mags, etc. Keep it as simple as possible. I'll lose approx 2 lbs 4oz from the chassis switch alone. I'm definitely going with another Carbon 6 barrel in their featherweight profile and shorter length, so I should realize some add'l weight savings there vs the 26" sendero profile barrel it's got now. Not gonna end up ultralight, but should be much more comfortable to carry long distance!

I'm so tempted to go with another 280AI just because I've had such good luck with this cartridge in terms of finding a ton of bullets that work with really great accuracy, I've got dies and 300 pieces of brass and plenty of powder and bullets to choose from in the cabinet. Not to mention it's just a great all around hunting cartridge. But that just feels BORING....if I'm gonna make the switch seems like I should actually change it up to something else. The savings in both time searching and money spent on all the components is attractive, though.

So that was a long way to get to my question: what chamber and barrel length do you guys think I should go for? I'd like to keep the ability to shoot at game to 650. I'm also not sure exactly how much velocity I'll be sacrificing with a shorter barrel...I know it'll depend on the cartridge somewhat.

I do also have a ton of 30-06 components, along with 7mm-08, and 6.5 CM. So, I could of course switch out the bolt stop and mags and run something short action too, as long as it uses the same bolt face. I don't really want to switch that out....again in the interest of simplicity.
Why do you have to switch out bolt stops? I don't have a Tikka so I'm not familiar with them. I shoot short action cartridges out of a long action rifle depending on what barrel was on it at the time

Why do you have to switch out bolt stops? I don't have a Tikka so I'm not familiar with them. I shoot short action cartridges out of a long action rifle depending on what barrel was on it at the time

Tikka only makes one action length, so a guy can turn a short action Tikka into a long action by simply changing the bolt stop (and magazine of course).

I don't see any advantage (other than shorter bolt throw) to switching from a long bolt stop to a short one.

Performance wise, it's goona be hard to improve on the the .280AI with a standard boltface. I would chamber .280AI again, or maybe go up to 30-06. Due to the shorter barrel, a larger caliber will offer a better expansion ratio - all other things equal won't sacrifice *as much* velocity as a smaller bore will.

Tikka only makes one action length, so a guy can turn a short action Tikka into a long action by simply changing the bolt stop (and magazine of course).

I don't see any advantage (other than shorter bolt throw) to switching from a long bolt stop to a short one.

Performance wise, it's goona be hard to improve on the the .280AI with a standard boltface. I would chamber .280AI again, or maybe go up to 30-06. Due to the shorter barrel, a larger caliber will offer a better expansion ratio - all other things equal won't sacrifice *as much* velocity as a smaller bore will.
Yeah the action length was a bolt stop (if I really even need to), and the mags and getting a short action version of the chassis. How short is too short on the barrel for 280AI or 30-06? I'll run some quickload data tomorrow night when I've got time, but kind of wondering if anyone's got real life experience to talk on a 18-20" barrel in 280AI or 30-06?

Great point....you're talking me into the short action, but what cartridge would you run? And how short would you go on the barrel?
I'm not trying to talk you I to it, I shoot a Zermatt action so I'm set up a little different and I can change out bolt faces. Everything I shoot out of that gun currently is a Magnum bolt face (6.5 PRC and 300 wm). 280 Ackley is a great round, I had one many years ago. I think you had the right idea of just doing a shorter barrel in the 280 ai. Maybe a 22".

6x284
25x284
6.5x284

Nothing wrong with the good ol 30-06 either!

Depending on your quarry those are all viable options in my opinion and you can get the most out of them by hand loading. I'm probably building a 25x284 as a side project on a Tikka as soon as I can find a reasonably priced donor action.

Yeah the action length was a bolt stop (if I really even need to), and the mags and getting a short action version of the chassis. How short is too short on the barrel for 280AI or 30-06? I'll run some quickload data tomorrow night when I've got time, but kind of wondering if anyone's got real life experience to talk on a 18-20" barrel in 280AI or 30-06?

Not sure i can really help you then, but since this thread has been quiet, I'll give it a bump.

My father had a 20" 30-06 for a while - it was unpleasant to shoot due to what we perceived as excessive muzzle blast.

I have been using an 18" .308 win as a general camp/backpacking/saddle gun for over 10yrs now. Probably about my personal limit for a 'shorty', but everyone is different. (It also weighs less than 7lbs all up)

My 30-06 has a 22" bbl (7-3/4lbs all up)

My .280 has a 24" (8-1/2lbs all up)

That's what seems to work for me 👍
(I like shooting the .280 best 🤣)

Some guys have no problem shooting 18" magnums with big brakes though!!

Last edited:
If hunting in big bear areas such as Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, Alaska, or western Canada, I would look at a 338-06 or 35 Whelen. They both are great old '06 babies. I like big frontal areas on bullets with larger dangerous game around. JMO though.
I suspect they will be brought into Colorado in a few years knowing the crazies who live here.

Some great options here. I'm leaning towards a 20" barrel at this point, just to hit the middle on velocity and muzzle blast. 6.5x284 is VERY tempting @sierracharlie338 ! It would be a new cartridge to play with, I've got loads of 6.5 bullets to try and I like the ballistics. My dad is also trying to talk me into a 270. It's his favorite cartridge and it's hard to argue with the results he's had over the years shooting it. I'm tempted to go with it just to give the old man a nod. He'd be so hyped every time I bring something home with the rifle, which would be fun.

Appreciate the big bear consideration @ridgewalker , as well. I do hunt in griz country in MT on the years I get lucky and pull a combo tag. In a 35 Whelen or 338-06 I don't think I'll get the distance out of it that I'd like.

The 280 AI just keeps calling to me, the simplicity of having the reloading components on hand and the ballistics are both hard to ignore.

257 Robert's AI, put your OCD to work with that one, or 243AI with the longer action, you will actually increase case capacity, by seating the bullets out farther. Giving you.the option of a fast.twist barrel and heavy for caliber bullets. Another option is the other way, look into the 35 Welen, or 35 Brown..both based off the 30-06)