Swift Bullets

An assortment of 338 210 sciroccos collected over about 10 or 15 years. Elk, moose, mountain lion. And one 6.5 130. The only 6.5 recovered from deer or antelope after over 65 kills. The 338s all weigh over 80%. The 6.5 was 95 or 96 % when launched from a creedmoor.
Most of these recovered are from frontal shots and we get them out of the hams of the animals.

Attachments

• 20241008_161820.jpg
    20241008_161820.jpg
    319.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 20241008_161900.jpg
    20241008_161900.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 13
An assortment of 338 210 sciroccos collected over about 10 or 15 years. Elk, moose, mountain lion. And one 6.5 130. The only 6.5 recovered from deer or antelope after over 65 kills. The 338s all weigh over 80%. The 6.5 was 95 or 96 % when launched from a creedmoor.
Most of these recovered are from frontal shots and we get them out of the hams of the animals.
That's a heck of an advertisement for these bullets. Have you seen any particular weak points or situations in which they aren't ideal?

Here again is the need to define the term 'long range' so that we can all be on the same page.

The Scirocco follows in the now longer line of all those tipped bullets, where even the manufacturers of solid bullets are fitting new designs with plastic tips, some you have to add to the bullets by yourself. Hornady uses aluminum tips on their A-Tip line of bullets. All in the name of potentially higher BC numbers.

Unfortunately the Sciroccos don't necessarily add higher BCs into their designs. But that doesn't mean that the bullets don't perform because they do. I've used them in several cartridges where medium game was on the hunt menu. They perform just fine, maybe not as 'long range' as some would hope but successful harvesting game anyway.

The plastic tip has advantages beyond just high bc I think. Your right it doesn't often meaningfully increase the bc over a traditional spire point or match hollow point, BUT it also allows a high bc bullet WITH a comparatively massive hollow point and a mechanism to facilitate the expansion thereof at lower impact velocities.

That's a heck of an advertisement for these bullets. Have you seen any particular weak points or situations in which they aren't ideal?
Like many other big game bullets out there, its recommended to have an 1800 fps impact. Coupled with the mid range BC, atmospherics and launch velocity dependent, most rounds will top out about 750 or 800 yards. The exceptions are the 28 Nosler 150 and 300 RUM 180 and similar rockets getting closer to 1,000 or slightly beyond. The Creedmoor and other standard velocity rounds will be morel like 600-700ish. Most guys I know and deal with, keep their hunting under 400, 500 or 600 yards. That said, I recommend this bullet a lot and our pictures on the website show it. If someone were looking for a dedicated long range projectile with shots routinely 600 to 1000, this is not the best option. The high bc bullets out there will do better. They are softer and retain their velocity better.

Like many other big game bullets out there, its recommended to have an 1800 fps impact. Coupled with the mid range BC, atmospherics and launch velocity dependent, most rounds will top out about 750 or 800 yards. The exceptions are the 28 Nosler 150 and 300 RUM 180 and similar rockets getting closer to 1,000 or slightly beyond. The Creedmoor and other standard velocity rounds will be morel like 600-700ish. Most guys I know and deal with, keep their hunting under 400, 500 or 600 yards. That said, I recommend this bullet a lot and our pictures on the website show it. If someone were looking for a dedicated long range projectile with shots routinely 600 to 1000, this is not the best option. The high bc bullets out there will do better. They are softer and retain their velocity better.
For my shooting skill and local terrain, shots rarely present themselves beyond 600. I'm most comfortable 400 and in, shooting standard cartridges such as 7mm rem and 300 win. So, seems like within those parameters there wouldn't be any issue whatsoever.

One common bit of feedback I have heard is that these were harder and better suited to larger game such as elk, with less reliable expansion on thinner skinned game such as smaller deer. Have you seen that, or is that folks talking without real experience?

For my shooting skill and local terrain, shots rarely present themselves beyond 600. I'm most comfortable 400 and in, shooting standard cartridges such as 7mm rem and 300 win. So, seems like within those parameters there wouldn't be any issue whatsoever.

One common bit of feedback I have heard is that these were harder and better suited to larger game such as elk, with less reliable expansion on thinner skinned game such as smaller deer. Have you seen that, or is that folks talking without real experience?
I've not had that. I run them for deer in 223 rem 62 gr, 6.5 cm and prc 130 gr, 150 in the 7 rem and 28 nosler, 180 in 300 rum and 300 win, and 210 in the 338 rum. I've pounded deer with all of those and antelope with several of those, particularly the 338 rum ( combo hunt for elk so why not)
The cross section of the bullet is has a thinner front end and a heavily tapered base to stop the mushroom with the bonding. I feel like they give a good mushroom and then stop expanding and drive that big *** mushroom through.
I have customers killing elk with creedmoors with them, as well as whitetails.

I've not had that. I run them for deer in 223 rem 62 gr, 6.5 cm and prc 130 gr, 150 in the 7 rem and 28 nosler, 180 in 300 rum and 300 win, and 210 in the 338 rum. I've pounded deer with all of those and antelope with several of those, particularly the 338 rum ( combo hunt for elk so why not)
The cross section of the bullet is has a thinner front end and a heavily tapered base to stop the mushroom with the bonding. I feel like they give a good mushroom and then stop expanding and drive that big *** mushroom through.
I have customers killing elk with creedmoors with them, as well as whitetails.
From everything I can see, and your description, they look to perform quite similar to the federal trophy bonded tip