Suppressor leak and tube cracked

I appreciate it, but I cant guarantee it so it's not right to charge for it. But usually if you drill the ends of the crack, grind the top open a bit so you can get penetration and build up a couple layers it will be as strong as the base metal. The only issue might be if they used an alloy that hardens/brittles w heat. Then it may crack along the weld. But it it's worth a try if it's a hail mary last resort. Its junk now, so not much to lose if they wont take it back for credit!

Well crud....scratch that, I'm not an FFL.... I'd have to guess you have a bunch of local guys that can do it as well or better than I can, find a guy who does high pressure pipe work. Sorry, I'd have tried, but I don't need big brother at my door!

Q3: May the outer tube of a registered silencer be repaired due to damage? If so, may the repair be done by someone other than the original manufacturer?

A: damaged outer tube may be repaired by any Federal firearms licensee qualified to perform gunsmithing or by the registered owner. The repair may not alter the dimensions or caliber of the silencer, except that the length of the outer tube may be reduced, as set forth above. The repair may not be performed if it results in the removal, obliteration, or alteration of the serial number, as this would violate 18 U.S.C. § 922(k). In that case, the silencer may be returned to the registered owner in its original, damaged condition or destroyed. A replacement silencer must be registered and transferred to the registrant of the damaged silencer in the same manner as a new silencer, subject to the registration and transfer procedures of the NFA and GCA.

Pbgunrunner advice is sound.

that suppressor cracked because the guy running the cnc did not know what we was doing or did not have the experience and trusted the program to much, or both, but it's the machinist fault. You can see deep asperities with the naked eye where they milled there logo, feed rate F/U! Imagine what that would look like under 200x magnification..... probable look like the Rockies!
That sucks buddy!
no wonder they are our of business.

only let someone who knows their stuff attempt to fix this, this is finicky work and you need two solid craftsmen, an excellent tig welder that know what backing gas is and someone who can run a lathe very well.

if you choose to get a back yard fix done, I'll nominate my ex-wife to test fire it for you.

just my 2 cents.

good luck

Last edited:
Google or Youtube the phrase "solvent trap" and see how much trouble you can get into.

I wouldn't hold out hope from SS. They will refer all warranty or support to the manufacturer, who is now totally out of business. In other threads on Crux there was some hope F1 would support the cans but then F1 made the statement that they could not provide any warranty work for Crux cans. Sadly, the cans did seem to have more than their fair share of issues and people who bought them, from SilencerShop or others, ended up completely out the cost of the can + stamp. Sorry to be bearer of bad news. it really sucks.

Well crud....scratch that, I'm not an FFL.... I'd have to guess you have a bunch of local guys that can do it as well or better than I can, find a guy who does high pressure pipe work. Sorry, I'd have tried, but I don't need big brother at my door!

You could still do it, he just needs to be there. He can't send it to you or leave it with you.

I don't run one of these but unfortunately there are two of these at my local FFL with the exact same problem. I'll try to find out if they have had any luck on replacing it.

It's kind of complicated to make that repair . If I were to do it I would make a brass or copper backing to fit the inside of the tube the same size or a couple of thousands larger then the baffles to slip inside before welding to keep warpage to a minimum, you would also need to know what the base metal was for any type of pre or post heat treatment and what gas to use as shielding gas during the welding and what filler rod to use . If S.S. can't help you contact the ATF so that you know exactly what you can do and keep out of trouble with them .

Sorry to hear about this. I saw on another fourm that there was a lawsuit from the ATF on them. THey were using the same serial numbers on cans that were replaced by re-using the outer shell with new internals and the ATF claimed that was illegal because they considered it a new can.

How about a F1 and sleeve it after repairs to the can, yea I know an additional stamp but you could recoup the can with little cash vs a complete loss. Just thinking out of the box, might also require you to notify the atf and remove original from the registry.

How about a F1 and sleeve it after repairs to the can, yea I know an additional stamp but you could recoup the can with little cash vs a complete loss. Just thinking out of the box, might also require you to notify the atf and remove original from the registry.
It's pretty hard to recoup any $ from a form 1

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.