Suggestions on a BCG malfunction?

ICANHITHIMMAN, I should have said keep the recoil spring lightly lubed, oiled actually is best. But I agree, wet the BCG ! I actually greased my recoil spring too much and it did, in fact, ****** the action. Cleaned it up, left a film on it and it runs properly now. I do run all my BCGs wet- wet.

Cool I got ya, I have never seen anyone oil their spring and buffer? It just gets wiped off there is no reason to lube it at all.

Cool I got ya, I have never seen anyone oil their spring and buffer? It just gets wiped off there is no reason to lube it at all.

Round wire springs grow in size as they are compressed. Why do you hear the "sprong" every time an AR cycles? The spring is contacting the buffer tube.

The buffer also contacts the buffer tube in two positions as well.

The rear of the buffer contacts the inside of the coils of the spring during compression of the buffer spring.

As I indicated earlier, a LIGHT coating of a full synthetic lube, that stays put, can be used with great success.

Try STOS....you just might like it.

Round wire springs grow in size as they are compressed. Why do you hear the "sprong" every time an AR cycles? The spring is contacting the buffer tube.

The buffer also contacts the buffer tube in two positions as well.

The rear of the buffer contacts the inside of the coils of the spring during compression of the buffer spring.

As I indicated earlier, a LIGHT coating of a full synthetic lube, that stays put, can be used with great success.

Try STOS....you just might like it.

I here what your all saying, I just don't agree. There is no call for lube there at all, if your worrying about the SS spring rusting I wouldn't.

I here what your all saying, I just don't agree. There is no call for lube there at all, if your worrying about the SS spring rusting I wouldn't.

Who mentioned rust? The post was about what can cause the malfunction the original poster asked the question.

Items made from stainless do rust. Mixed with different steel for the properties needed for the application.

Who mentioned rust? The post was about what can cause the malfunction the original poster asked the question.

Items made from stainless do rust. Mixed with different steel for the properties needed for the application.

no one mentioned it but its the only reason I could think of for lubing the parts you guys are talking about.

I appreciate the suggestions and will try the lubrication suggestions, but it seemed to be more of an unlocking/cycling issue.

I appreciate the suggestions and will try the lubrication suggestions, but it seemed to be more of an unlocking/cycling issue.

You are correct. All of the experiences and suggestions are angling towards that. Unless there is a machining issue, which is possible, more than likely, it is a loctite dribble in during bolt manufacture or a lubrosity issue.

Another item not mentioned, carbine buffer spring with a rifle buffer or vice versa.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.