Sufficient minimum muzzle diameter for Suppressors

hseII

I've been kicking around the idea of a lighter rifle with a stiffish ~20" 6mm- 7mm something or other for quite sometime.

7mm-08
6GT/BRA, etc.

Looking at Bartlein's contour page,

I can't help but think a #3 @ 20" would net something like a 0.730" muzzle Diameter?

Is this adequate diameter & rigidity for suppressors?, or should I go ahead & step to the #3B at this length?

Looking to do a handy multi purpose on an existing R700 in a Hunter McMillan.

100% of the time it will be shot suppressed, but I won't be entering matches with it.

Will there be a negative effect with the #3 over a #3B?

Thank You.

I went with a 3b on my 20" .22GT, just to make sure there's enough shoulder for the suppressor to seat against. A 3 probably would have been fine but I wanted to be sure.

John

Here's a guide:

I have a Weatherby Backcountry Gen 1 and the barrel is a 24" no1 contour. It shoots very accurately there is a significant POI shift with a suppressor (even a very light one) but it holds up nicely. I'm sure shorter would be even stiffer.

I have a Weatherby Backcountry Gen 1 and the barrel is a 24" no1 contour. It shoots very accurately there is a significant POI shift with a suppressor (even a very light one) but it holds up nicely. I'm sure shorter would be even stiffer.
Do you know what the muzzle diameter is?

The muzzle diameter on my 260 Rem is 0.690" and it is threaded 5/8-24. It works just fine with my DT suppressors.
The Ruger American Predators are around 0.690" also- 5/8"x24.

I don't have any reason to think a 0.700"-0.0730" with a #3 20"ish wouldn't work also, but I am looking for feedback.

Here's a guide:

Excellent resource. Thanks for posting.

The Ruger American Predators are around 0.690" also- 5/8"x24.

I don't have any reason to think a 0.700"-0.0730" with a #3 20"ish wouldn't work also, but I am looking for feedback.
The article above specifically addresses the Bartlein 3 barrel. They recommend 18" max finished length for sufficient diameter.

Many suppressor mfg recommend a min muzzle diameter of 0.730 for threading 5/8 to create sufficient shoulder. However, you can see above some rifle mfg don't feel the same way.

If you want a longer barrel and also want 5/8 thread instead of using a thread adapter from 1/2 or 9/16 to 5/8, then you can send to a place like kampfeld customs and he'll install a semi-permanent collar to act as a shoulder. That way you can thread a 0.630 diameter muzzle to 5/8 and it will have plenty of shoulder.

I just did this with my Tikka factory barrel. I had a guy cut it enough to get 0.630 diameter (ended up being almost 22" after cutting) then thread to 5/8 and install a semi-permanent collar. So there's now a 0.800+ diameter shoulder to tighten the suppressor against.

1000001326.jpg

Many suppressor mfg recommend a min muzzle diameter of 0.730 for threading 5/8 to create sufficient shoulder. However, you can see above some rifle mfg don't feel the same way.

If you want a longer barrel and also want 5/8 thread instead of using a thread adapter from 1/2 or 9/16 to 5/8, then you can send to a place like kampfeld customs and he'll install a semi-permanent collar to act as a shoulder. That way you can thread a 0.630 diameter muzzle to 5/8 and it will have plenty of shoulder.

I just did this with my Tikka factory barrel. I had a guy cut it enough to get 0.630 diameter (ended up being almost 22" after cutting) then thread to 5/8 and install a semi-permanent collar. So there's now a 0.800+ diameter shoulder to tighten the suppressor against.

View attachment 587967
The differences are exactly why I'm asking.

If 0.100" over the threads, then why is ~0.730" not enough?

The article above specifically addresses the Bartlein 3 barrel. They recommend 18" max finished length for sufficient diameter.
I don't have one in my hands,
But if 0.012" is the taper per inch for the #3, then the .670" + 5 x 0.012" should net 0.730", which would be above the 0.625" + 0.100".

I asked before the link was posted- maybe I'm looking at it wrong?