• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

Stolen firearms

What happened to you is truly a DISIPICLE CRIME! Ill will could be wished on these person(s). Make me sick to think about what happened to you. It is an expensive rifle and more than that has sentimental value that you can't put a price on. I would notify all the Die makers of the theft. I did a search on the 8.59 and there is no ammo available anywhere. Lazzeroni doesn't even make rifle in that caliber anymore. I didn't Brass for sale anywhere. Whoever has this firearm is going to have a very hard time selling it unless the buyer has no idea of what they are buying. Hope that the firearm serial # goes into a Federal data base for "Stolen". The problem is that the scumbag thieves may ditch the rifle when the find out it can't be reloaded or get ammo for it. Get it on the internet that it is stolen. List it on as many Hunting/Shooting Forums as you can. Relist it on LRH and other Forums with the Post Heading " Lazzeroni 8.59 Caliber Rifle -STOLEN". Then when someone does a search on the internet for 8.59 Caliber it will come up on the internet referring to LRH as well as other Forums. Hopefully if someone was going to buy it and started looking for ammo they will see that a Lazzeroni 8.59 Caliber Rifle was stolen. List your REWARD also. They may then-If a good person, turn in the person selling it to the Law.
Good luck I hope that you get your rifles back and the scumbag(s) caught!
Thanks again! I have posted the reward in the Terre Haute newspaper and would grant the reward to anyone who can assist in the location and recovery of the rifle. I'm sure you are well aware that the 8.59 is a proprietary cartridge and, like you said, I'm concerned that some doper low-life will just can the rifle.

I periodically visit pawn shops looking for good deals and will look for these rifles. Hopefully, if a police report was filed with serial numbers, PD's in other states would be informed they were stolen. I had a S&W revolver that was stolen in Seattle, WA & it was recovered from a pawn shop in Phoenix AZ.

A side note:

Decades ago, a gunsmith in Seattle received a rifle or possibly 2 rifles to either repair of sell. The gunsmith was suspicious and contacted either the Seattle PD or someone else & it turned out that the rifle was stolen from a plane crash in Alaska where people died. Makes this worse than despicable.

Last edited:
I periodically visit pawn shops looking for good deals and will look for these rifles. Hopefully, if a police report was filed with serial numbers, PD's in other states would be informed they were stolen. I had a S&W revolver that was stolen in Seattle, WA & it was recovered from a pawn shop in Phoenix AZ.
Thank you for the read and your concern. I don't visit bars but I wouldn't be surprised if the discussion of this theft wasn't a topic as someone looking to sell a firearm may well use that approach. The serial numbers are on the FBI registry of stolen guns and I don't think a gang-banger or dopey would carry a .338 to conduct a crime. Best wishes to you if you should find them I'll gladly send you the reward via cashiers check.

I would contact every gun club within 200 miles with a description of the firearms. Multiply the number of members that will now be looking or hear about it can be huge help. Not to mention Gunbroker and other on lines sales.

I would contact every gun club within 200 miles with a description of the firearms. Multiply the number of members that will now be looking or hear about it can be huge help. Not to mention Gunbroker and other on lines sales.
Thank you. I have contacted shooting ranges and clubs in the area. Unfortunately, I live about 600 miles away so it is difficult to know and contact all of the organizations that might spot these rifles. Most likely, the thief saw my license plate and figured, after he destroyed the lock on the trailer, that I would simply write it off and never follow up. Thanks to people like you and others on the forum the chances of recovering the rifles may increase. Thank you for your concern and suggestions. Best wishes!

I was going to ask the details of the theft, but it sounds like they broke in to your vehicle trailer. Did you stop for the night somewhere?

Do they have cameras in their lot that may help?

I highly doubt this was a theft from a shooter because they would know that turning over that rifle would be hard.

Most likely done by a 'known' person in that area for multiple thefts.

I'd check any local yard sale postings, Facebook, Craigslist. Call the local gun shops too. Any upcoming gun shows in that area?

You know there are guys using strong magnets from bridges these days......i bet it ends up in a very wet place.....
if it were just a rifle like all the others..thousands of 65cdmr....06'..sell it easy.....but very tough to find someone for something so 'different'....
Luck to ya......

I was going to ask the details of the theft, but it sounds like they broke in to your vehicle trailer. Did you stop for the night somewhere?

Do they have cameras in their lot that may help?

I highly doubt this was a theft from a shooter because they would know that turning over that rifle would be hard.

Most likely done by a 'known' person in that area for multiple thefts.

I'd check any local yard sale postings, Facebook, Craigslist. Call the local gun shops too. Any upcoming gun shows in that area?
Thanks for the interest and suggestions. We were parked in a well lighted parking area at the Hampton Inn. The police probably checked for cameras and it is possible the thief/thieves came out of the next parking lot (Econolodge). As the scopes were found at a local pawn shop it is most likely someone local who is the culprit. I'm about 600 miles away so local events (gun shows, auctions, etc.) are not possible. I posted a public post on Facebook but I don't think Craigslist will permit firearms sales. I appreciate your help. Thanks again.

I would join Indiana Sportsmen and post up there.
Most states have similar so where theft occurred could be good start as well.

I would join Indiana Sportsmen and post up there.
Most states have similar so where theft occurred could be good start as well.
I tried to join but my app was refused. Perhaps because I'm not a resident of Indiana or any neighboring state. Thanks for your suggestion.