Staball 6.5 and staball H.D.

tribb

I'm considering adding these two powders to my reloading simply because I can buy locally at a reasonable price. How temperature sensitive are they and how they more erosive on barrels are they compared to comparable powders? Thanks Tribb

I'm using the staball6.5 in a 30-06 & a 22-250 with fine results accuracy and velocity wise. I haven't tried to do any temperature testing but it was advertised to be pretty temp insensitive compared to other ball powders.

"I" stopped worrying about powder temperature sensitivity for quite some time now. RL-17 is supposed to be one of those powders sensitive to temperature changes, but I have used it for almost 10 years without any issues. It is what I use in my .300 WSM is propelling the 215 Berger out of 24" at 2850 FPS and .5-.75 MOA at 966 yards if I do my part.

I used to use only Hodgdon extreme powder (I still use it), but I have explored and learned to load other powders. I do my final load development for my fall hunt in the second week of September. The temperature from load development to my hunt is only 20-30 degrees, and it is colder. I do the same thing with stable powders. I thought Bryan Litz explained it excellently, especially at the 2:20-minute mark.

Last edited:
In a game where consistency and reliability are rewarded, anyone can do themselves a favor by choosing temp stable powders, at least for cartridges used year around.
A very easily avoided precision killer! Would you use a scale that had a .5-1.0 grain variation error from charge to charge?
Shooting unstable powder is about like mixing brass manufacturers in the same cartridge. Random and unpredictable, unsatisfactory results.

Consistency IS accuracy!!! Having the projectile come out of the muzzle at as close to the same speed shot after shot no matter what that speed is.....is accuracy!

To say temperature instability is insignificant is like saying having a lot of bullets that weigh from 100 to 105 grains is no big deal.

Here where I'm at the temperature can and will easily swing from 70° to 25° in 24hrs especially during hunting season. A temperature insensitive powder is all but mandatory.

Just loaded 100 25max with 55gr of staball HD behind a 134gr eldm to do barrel and brass break in. We will see how temp stable it is. One thing I will say about staball HD is it flows through a chargemaster beautifully. It also clings to the inside of case necks so you might want to hit them with some dry neck lube and/or make sure your case mouths are free from any case lube.

I'm considering adding these two powders to my reloading simply because I can buy locally at a reasonable price. How temperature sensitive are they and how they more erosive on barrels are they compared to comparable powders? Thanks Tribb
1726399241048.png

How good does it clean up?
Cleans up easily enough, although the fouling "seems a little darker in color" to me.
Not sure if that means that it's a dirtier powder or that the fouling is just a darker color?
I will say that I don't load lighter charges with it, it just seems to burn better and perform better at near maximum to maximum charges.... a rather fortuitous situation.

Recent Posts