Spinning on another barrel & headspace šŸ˜

Buttermilk

The last few days I've been changing up one of my rifles.

I took one of my left hand Remington 700 short action rifles with a j-lock bolt and a "E" prefix serial number. I removed the factory 22-250 barrel and in its place I spun on a factory Remington new take-off 5R barrel in 6.5 CM that's threaded for a muzzle device. Barrel is 24" long.

I have a barrel vice that's bench mounted and my action wrench is of the external style with a cutout for the lug.

Using the "Larry Potterfield method of torquing the barrel, I've tightened up the barrel. With my wrench there's no way use a torque wrench while tightening the barrel. It's basically hand tight, then turned approximately another 1/8" or slightly more past hand tight.

I'm currently waiting on a go-guage to check headspace.

While I'm waiting, today I removed the firing pin assembly and the ejector. I also have on hand a box of Hornady 147 ELDM ammo. I measured all 20 rounds of ammo using my Hornady comparator.

With my tools, I get the majority of the ammo measuring 1.515", with one at 1.514", and the remaining measuring 1.517"-1.519".

The 1.514", and 1.515" cases allow bolt closure with little resistance. The others from 1.517"-1.519" correspondingly stiffer bolt closure.

I suspect, obviously, that my headspace is on the tight side. I'll know more after I receive the go-guage.

If the go-guage/no-go guage confirms, then I have a couple of ideas on how to ever so slightly increase headspace. I suspect it's only gonna be off by a very small amount, in the single digit numbers.

At any rate, I'm somewhat surprised it's even as close at it appears to initially be.

Wish me luck, and if you have any pointers, I'm all ears.