Smokeless muzzleloader barrel?

Mine (which is a "copy" of yours) does great as well. However, I scaled back to the 300's after punishing myself at the last Challenge with the 325's and 103.5 gr H4895. I didn't even shoot the gong match afterwards. I'd had ENOUGH! 🤕
Yup I have pretty much dialed in my 303gr HC pittman at 3100 fps. I have 325's but it shoots so well with the 303's I haven't tried to work up another load.
10x. Is the JAM:)

Ended up buying a brux blank and sent it off to pva, I went with 1:20 twist at 26"… my buddy shot a doe yesterday at 438yds with it under a crop damage permit, the deer dropped on the spot, I am running 303pittmans but I'm going to switch to the 300g nsr from arrowhead. I'm using imr4198 but I'm about out of this powder, what other powders do you guys use, I'm looking for something fairly temp stable that I can get 2700+ fps out of, I was looking at h4895 but can't find it local

Ended up buying a brux blank and sent it off to pva, I went with 1:20 twist at 26"… my buddy shot a doe yesterday at 438yds with it under a crop damage permit, the deer dropped on the spot, I am running 303pittmans but I'm going to switch to the 300g nsr from arrowhead. I'm using imr4198 but I'm about out of this powder, what other powders do you guys use, I'm looking for something fairly temp stable that I can get 2700+ fps out of, I was looking at h4895 but can't find it local
Is you barrel for a break action rifle or a full blown bolt gun with 5" of 1.25" breech?
If a full blown bolt rifle that can take it all the way for performance I'll highly recommend 10x. I freaking ove 10x and have 24lbs in my basement. I won't even look at another powder. 303HC Pittmans at just over 3100 fps shooting .2-.3 @ 100. Cant ask for much more. I absolutely love my 45XML McWhorter

If yours is a break open muzzleloader then you are no where near a bolt action performances and need to look at other powders. Always check with your barrel smith. He shoukd have info for you

Last edited:
I'm going to get rid of my tc encore muzzloader here in the classfields, in hopes to fund a smokeless barrel for my custom rifle, it uses a zermatt arms origin action. I am currently looking at the pva smokeless prefits, but see they offer only 1:16 45 cal barrels, what twist rates and barrel lengths are you guys running on a smokeless 45 cal? Looking for recommendations on who to have do the work as well
I got a .45 1:16 twist #17 contour for a bench rest target SML. The twist rate depends on the weight/length of bullet that you intend to shoot.

Beats me. 🤷‍♂️ I don't know anyone running a twist THAT fast in their SML rifles….and I compete 2 or 3 times a year in Hankins 'Kentucky Challenge' shoots. The majority are running 1-20" twist barrels and have ZERO problems shooting 300-325 grain bullets to 400 yards and beyond….VERY accurately I might add. Only reason I went with 1-18" is that was all Hankins had at the time of my build.
Myself & another friend are running .45 1:16 twist SML's

Recent Posts