Smallest caliber for Montana Mule Deer Rifle

450 Lott minimum, if you want to shoot 600 yards just hold at a 45 degree angle, 60 for 1000 yards šŸ˜‰
With or without the mortar plate? Oh, I ran across a couple of guys last season sighting their mountain rifle in 450 Lott for their Muley hunting in Picabo Idaho. šŸ„“ šŸ«” Cheer.

1720115300462.png

With or without the mortar plate? Oh, I ran across a couple of guys last season sighting their mountain rifle in 450 Lott for their Muley hunting in Picabo Idaho. šŸ„“ šŸ«” Cheer.

View attachment 583764
That's how it's done. Fore in the hole! I can't help myself, I had to poke a little fun at the original post. Even though you can technically use a 22 centerline in MT for deer, I personally would not go under a .243 caliber cartridge and would prefer larger, like .257. When I hunted MT I had a combo license so I was worried about elk and I had a bear tag, so 280 AI with a monometal was how i went.

Of course there is, if its not controversial, its never going to make it to 60 to 70 pages on this forum. šŸ˜‰
Iā€™m truly sorry about that. This was not really not supposed to be controversial. I was just trying to get a sampling and figure out if 6, 25 or 6.5 might be a better way to go. 6 or 25 creedmoor seem like good choices. I will probably do it with my Savage or a Tikka or maybe Howa. Iā€™d like a pretty light gun, but light is hard at rangeā€¦.soā€¦.

450 Lott minimum, if you want to shoot 600 yards just hold at a 45 degree angle, 60 for 1000 yards šŸ˜‰
I have one of those. The recoil is a bit much, even for big mulies!

Having seen a lot of mulies in Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, and New Mexico, the smallest caliber I would personally carry is a .25-06. Or, for those that like it, a .270. As for the 600 yd. thing, I would try to get at least 300 if not 400 yds. closer. It is called hunting, not sniping, and few of us are Chris Kyle. (RIP)
I agree with your minimum and thatā€™s where mine would be. But Someone stalking within 300yds or someone ā€œsnipingā€ at 800yds if dead is dead and both come out of the field with game isnā€™t that the same as ā€œhuntingā€. A filled tag is a filled tag doesnā€™t matter the distance. Thatā€™s not to say that someone that decides to take that 800yd shot is any less of a hunter than someone who wonā€™t shoot past 300. I hear this often as people look down on others for not trying to get closer. Whatā€™s the difference if they can effectively take game at long distances over someone who does not.
Not to put down anyone capable of making a 600 yd. shot on a mule deer or anything else. However, the difference between a 300 yd. shot and a 600 yd. shot is very great. A quarter inch difference can multiply into a miss, or worse, a gut shot or crippled animal that, in all probability, will never be recovered. Also, when shooting the lighter calibers, windage figures more prominently into the calculation for the shot. What the wind is doing right here, can be an entirely different matter 600 yds. from right here, especially in Montana, or Wyoming. I still maintain that 300 yds. would be better, to assure a clean kill on what might be a once-in-a lifetime opportunity.

I planned my first archery Elk hunt years ago. I had hunted Elk with a rifle for years and knew that I'd need to practice at further ranges with my bow. I wound up working out to 65 yards very effectively to my surprise. That was back in the early 90s. I remember many other friends telling me that it was too far of a shot with archery gear and not right shooting at animals that far. Many archers were killing elk further than that but that's the range I decided I wanted to be my maximum shot distance on an Elk. I was hitting about a 6" diameter before the trip started and wound up killing my Elk at 55 yards. Felt like a gimme shot given the shot was in an open meadow and the elk came in unaware of my presence. I don't recommend everyone shoot at deer or elk at 55 or 65 yards with archery gear unless they work up to it and be honest with themselves with the results. If they can keep the shots inside the 6" bull and conditions allow the shot, decide when the moment happens. This is exactly the same for the rifleman. If your prepared for the range and conditions are perfect, make the decision at that time. Practice the way you'll shoot in the field during the hunt. Only the shooter knows if he's prepared for the shot. Too many aren't honest with themselves and take shots without enough time on targets at that range shooting how they'll be taking the same shots on game. Lots can happen from the barrel out to 600 yards on an alert or spooked animal or in horrible conditions. Nothing is more controversial than a discussion on what range is too far to shoot at an animal and this thread isn't even that.