Smallest caliber for Montana Mule Deer Rifle

I know guys are killing them with .22 CFs but I think I'd stay with a 6mm or 6.5 of some variety. I've had great success on mule deer with a 6mm Rem. Bullet design and construction has definitely upped the game for smaller, HV calibers.

A .243 AI will be perfect. .260 Rem AI is also a favorite.
My two grandsons and I kill N. Missouri Whitetails with: 7mm08, 243 Win, .35 Rem, and 7RM. I have a new 7 RSAUM which didn’t draw blood in 2023, but; only because their .243 Win and 7mm08 killed on first shot and two were enough! My oldest grandson has killed a Deer every year for 8 years straight with a Colt Sauer .243 Win. Our shots are from blinds or elevated stands with range of 75 to 275 yards. We have suffice WT population we wait for shots less than 300 yds. FYI, our N. Missouri WT give Mulies a run for their money. Lastly, agree with 50 driver, be nice and respect other’s opinions.

The benefit of smaller calibers is reduced recoil. I know lots of hunters that shoot less than a box a year and wonder why they missed that deer at 350 yards. Practice is key. Lesser expensive components and a more comfortable shooting experience will encourage more trigger time.

Bullet construction and consistency has come a long way in recent years, and faster twist barrels and higher BC bullets offer huge advantages compared to older times.

600 is no joke in a real hunting situation. If you're practiced, I have no doubt a 77 TMK or 80-88gr ELDM out of a 22 Creed would work well. I'm also partial to the 6 Creed with the 108/108 ELDM. Both yield similar performance, with the nod to the 22 for less recoil.

I've gone from 22-250 to 7-08 to 300 WSM to 50 beowulf, and many in between. Most of my whitetail were killed with a 243 and 87 vmax, and more recently, a 6 Creed with 105 AMAX. Haven't lost one yet, excellent performance. I'll be switching to the 109 ELDM this year in the 6 Creed for better BC.

I'll be taking a 22 Creed with either 77 TMK or 80 ELDM as well this year. Way too many positive reports to not give it a try.

The guys at horizon firearms that developed the 22 creed took it on an aoudad hunt with very impressive results, they are very tough animals.

Great topic and good luck with your choice.

I know .22 CF can do amazing things if the right bullet and distance are in sync. With that said, I feel that a good-sized Muley can take a real beating, plus shooting over 400 yards at one... well, I'm going with a .25 or 6.5 cal. The bottom line for me is that the Guy upstairs gave us animals to use not abuse. Just my 0.2... Have a great 4th, a lot of brave men and women gave their all so we could enjoy our freedom, and still do, thank you.
1720069197822.png

I'm a bit old school and have always been a fan of the 30/06 and its offspring. 25/06, 6.5-06, 270, 280, 30/06 and the AI versions of these.I currently use the 6.5-06 a lot. 308 and its offspring also do quite well. 260 and it's AI version is coming on strong, 7mm-08, 270-08.
I also like the 270 WSM, 7 RM, and 300 WM and WSM. There also are a lot of new cartridges that play within this envelope. I like the older stuff due to brass availability. 25/06 would be my absolute minimum.

If I had only one rifle for everything it would be a 6mm CM with a 8 twist. Then, if I had only one bullet it would be the Berger 95 VLD - low form factor combined with hi velocity. Then, if limitations on range were in effect for deers & such it would be 400 yards.

I like SW 4350, an extruded 4350 type powder, in my 6MM CM but it is made in the Czech Republic and there is some possibility of supply problems, so I will plan on Staball 6.5 for my selection of only 1 powder.

Last edited:
Having seen a lot of mulies in Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, and New Mexico, the smallest caliber I would personally carry is a .25-06. Or, for those that like it, a .270. As for the 600 yd. thing, I would try to get at least 300 if not 400 yds. closer. It is called hunting, not sniping, and few of us are Chris Kyle. (RIP)

I have a Remington 788 in 243 that I bought when I was 9 years old. The barrel has been shot out for some time. So I decided to rebarrel it in 243ai. Barrel has a 1 and 7 twist and is 24 in long. Planning on shooting 90 grain hammer bullets. I have, for the past 20 plus years used a 284 caliber of some configuration to deer hunt with. Mostly because I had an elk tag in my pocket at the same time. Planning on using the 243 for deer. Will be limiting my shots to the point where I reach 1,800 ft per second with these bullets. So probably somewhere around 400 yd. Doing this mostly for nostalgic reasons. I killed many a blacktail with it when I was much younger. I think it will be fine for muley's.

Well if you wildcatted the 25-284 back 40 years ago, you darn sure did or at least was one of maybe 2 or 3 that played with it.

You define the word "Hunter". Adaptable and changing with age to accommodate yourself. Kudos
She has been around for a while. P.O. Ackley included the 25-284 in his Handbook for Shooters & Reloaded Volume ll that was published in 1966. I had one back in the late 70's.
Well if you wildcatted the 25-284 back 40 years ago, you darn sure did or at least was one of maybe 2 or 3 that played with it.

You define the word "Hunter". Adaptable and changing with age to accommodate yourself. Kudos
She has been around for a while. P.O. Ackley included the 25-284 in his Handbook for Shooters & Reloaded Volume ll that was published in 1966. I had one back in the late 70's. If I remember right the guy who I bought it from was the guy who had it rebarreled, and he told me he had sent it off to Douglas and that they had done the work on it.

Having seen a lot of mulies in Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, and New Mexico, the smallest caliber I would personally carry is a .25-06. Or, for those that like it, a .270. As for the 600 yd. thing, I would try to get at least 300 if not 400 yds. closer. It is called hunting, not sniping, and few of us are Chris Kyle. (RIP)
I agree with your minimum and that’s where mine would be. But Someone stalking within 300yds or someone “sniping” at 800yds if dead is dead and both come out of the field with game isn’t that the same as “hunting”. A filled tag is a filled tag doesn’t matter the distance. That’s not to say that someone that decides to take that 800yd shot is any less of a hunter than someone who won’t shoot past 300. I hear this often as people look down on others for not trying to get closer. What’s the difference if they can effectively take game at long distances over someone who does not.

I agree with your minimum and that’s where mine would be. But Someone stalking within 300yds or someone “sniping” at 800yds if dead is dead and both come out of the field with game isn’t that the same as “hunting”. A filled tag is a filled tag doesn’t matter the distance. That’s not to say that someone that decides to take that 800yd shot is any less of a hunter than someone who won’t shoot past 300. I hear this often as people look down on others for not trying to get closer. What’s the difference if they can effectively take game at long distances over someone who does not.
Don't think I know one person that would sneak within 300 yards of an animal if they could effectively kill it at 800 if the shot was offered and conditions were ideal. No, I think it's safe to assume the reason it's mentioned when it is, is because those that do cannot make the shot and criticize others who can. I don't take it personally when I hear it because I know this is the case. I can hit paper or steel targets effectively at ranges I wouldn't shoot animals at in most cases. I have shot deer at those ranges but not very often mostly because it wasn't the perfect opportunity. All opportunities on paper or steel are the perfect one. It's how we learn in the end which is the perfect and which isn't on game animals.

Last edited: