Sidearm/holsters

A couple thoughts
JJ, nice work. I had John Jackson build my Chest Holsters. Snaps connect different holsters (Ruger Alaskan 44 Mag, Glock 31, Sig P226 and Sig P220) to the shoulder-waist straps. My handguns ride higher than those in your pics….over the tip of my sternum. Fishing vest conceals in Yellowstone NP. Open chest carry when horseback on MT Public Lands and when stream fly fishing. Drop-leg won’t work very well riding and fishing. Safe Hunting & Fishing!

Anyone have experience with these chest holsters?
I am looking for either a stand alone chest holster or something that integrates with my bino chest system
Yes, I find them to be very workable. As a stand alone unit. The attachments to bino harnesses are not to my liking, mostly because when you draw the firearm from a chest holster the amount of movement needs to be minimal. If the holster moves with the firearm it will require a longer draw stroke and add time when you may not have any. You also may not have the range of motion to draw the firearm if your on the ground in mid attack. The gunfighters rig has minimal movement during the draw and the small elastic section in the strap that encompasses your body does not restrict your breathing or feel too tight. I use this rig while fishing, hunting and hiking with small automatics and large frame revolvers, with barrel lengths of 5" or less. Less is better. Layering a bino system over these holsters will work but I just didnt like it. If I need binos I use a strong side belt holster, the Milt Sparks AW200 and a Milt Sparks belt. The belt must support (be heavy enough) the holstered gun to be comfortable.

When riding horses/mules, you never want a handgun on your belt. I witnessed first hand a good friend get bucked off when Javelina ran out in front of us, he landed on the hip with the gun. The man screamed and cried for 15 minutes. So, a shoulder holster is the way to go, or not carry one at all.

When riding horses/mules, you never want a handgun on your belt. I witnessed first hand a good friend get bucked off when Javelina ran out in front of us, he landed on the hip with the gun. The man screamed and cried for 15 minutes. So, a shoulder holster is the way to go, or not carry one at all.
Respectfully, landing on a rock, log or anything else may give the same outcome. A six foot drop from a saddle is hard on the body. Shoulder rigs present access issues, reaching across the torso can be a challenge especially if you have a bino harness on, not to mention layers of clothing. All methods of carry have pros and cons be aware of them before you choose. Your access is the number one priority otherwise you might as well have it in a backpack. Your physique, flexibilty, and activity all have a role in the selection of a holster.

Not carrying at all, that certainly does solve the issue.

My current setup is a sherpa on the waistband of my pack. That works well. Positive lock, easy access... until I drop my pack. And if I am trying to use it during an archery hunt, I drop the pack often.

My current setup is a sherpa on the waistband of my pack. That works well. Positive lock, easy access... until I drop my pack. And if I am trying to use it during an archery hunt, I drop the pack often.
When I suit up, the first accessory on is my FHF Bino Chest Pouch with Razco Holster beneath and this setup is always the last accessory off. The compromise is the Razco Holster is closer to my waist than the point of my sternum which, as previously stated, is the location of my Jackson Chest Harness-Holster. I’d rather my handgun be higher, but not enough to move my Binos elsewhere. Another compromise!

A few years back did a caribou hunt in Alaska and carried my brothers Ruger Super Redhawk in .480 in a nylon holster at the hip. Was not bad to carry all day long, kind of gave you peace of mind.
Now I bought a Glock G40 10mm, and this will be my primary sidaerm on my hunting, fishing, and trips to the woods. Just wondering what kind of holsters you are using? I have carried a 1911 in a Blackhawk Serpa holster and kind of like that one. But just trying to see what everyone else's experiences are. Always open to peoples thoughts and opinions. Thanks in advance.
I carry my 44 Mag in a Slade Saddle Shop custom holster made to fit my 1950’s Lawrence gunbelt I got from my uncle. Also have the original holster for 4” 357 Combat Mag. I carry 1911 in 3 different leather belt holsters. Generally use the thumbreak holster on hunts and the friction retention for daily carry.

Like the OP, I also have a Glock 40.
Glock 40 MOD 10MM 2 of 6.jpg

Glock 40 MOD 10MM 3 of 6.jpg

I tried a few readily available to me before I settled with:
Denali chest holster Glock 40 MOD 10MM 1 of 2.jpg

Denali chest holster Glock 40 MOD 10MM X.jpg

Denali chest holster Glock 40 MOD 10MM.jpg

This was the only one I tried that I could pull out of the holster with one hand unassisted without modification. And it's half the price of most of the others.

Recent Posts