Should I get a long range shooting or hunting gun or try to balance between the two?

I'm new to this long range shooting world though I have plinked with guns out to 800 yards for years, but with no mathematical precision. I have hunted my whole life and as I am considering purchasing a gun in 7mm PRC for shooting long range. I cannot seem to get over the hump of purchasing a gun exclusively for long range shooting without being able to use it for hunting. Am I crazy to try and find a balance between the two?
Could you clarify what you mean by shooting and hunting. Two different situations or the same?

I've never had or built a rifle specifically for long range target shooting. I'm primarily a hunter so my goal was always a moderately light rifle with a fairly fat barrel that would shoot under 2" at 300yds. If they'll do that then I'm a happy camper.

My cartridge of choice is the 7SAUM and I also like the 300SAUM. They carry enough velocity with a moderately heavy hunting bullet to impart a good terminal energy out to 800yds and that's enough for me.

A few things I've found in years of experimentation is that having the action bedded by a serious long range gunsmith is paramount. I also have spent a lot of money on quality scopes such as Nightforce and the higher end Leupolds.

Almost every one of my barrels have been custom barrels threaded on by a serious gunsmith with CNC equipment. I've had him true the actions as well.

Stocks are usually McMillan or Brown Precision. Some of the newer makes with aluminum bedding blocks are good too but you still need to have them bedded!!! A skim bedding will greatly improve consistency.

Weight is no guaranty of precision and unless you intend to compete in target shooting I see it as wholly unnecessary for hunting unless you actually intend to take shots at game beyond 800yds and then you enter a totally new world and most of those hunters are probably driving motorized vehicles within a hundred yards or so of their shooting position.

My actions of choice have mostly been Model Sevens but some are Model 700's.

YMMV....

Pretty vague question. "Hunting" can mean a thousand different scenarios. Even if you were building strictly a hunting rifle, there are hundreds of options. A prairie dog hunting rifle and a sheep hunting rifle could be vastly different. Brown bear rifle, or a squirrel rifle. Do you hunt deer out of a tree stand in your back yard, or 10mi from a tail head?

The obvious answer to your question is, yes. You can hunt with about any rifle, or target shoot with about any rifle.

I'm new to this long range shooting world though I have plinked with guns out to 800 yards for years, but with no mathematical precision. I have hunted my whole life and as I am considering purchasing a gun in 7mm PRC for shooting long range. I cannot seem to get over the hump of purchasing a gun exclusively for long range shooting without being able to use it for hunting. Am I crazy to try and find a balance between the two?
You are not crazy, I think many people, including myself, look for rifles to be multi-purpose. However, I have come to realize that I love to hunt, but I am limited by many things (season timing, weather, actual opportunity on animals, number of tags, etc). So, on a good year, I may have opportunity to pull the trigger 5 or 8 times. 1 big out west hunt, one white tail buck, 2-3 WT does, and maybe one other hunt for bear, hogs, etc. So, while it is very important and a sense of.pride to be able to harvest things efficiently and longer than typical ranges, it is still only 5 to 8 trigger pulls annually. That just doesnt scratch.the itch for me.

So, I have resorted to building/buying rifles that are fun, efficient, low recoil, and relatively inexpensive to shoot, so to allow me to enjoy the sport/hobby, and exercise the cause and effect side of building, accurizing, load developing for (long range) shooting.

To comment directly on your potential choice (7 PRC), this is an awesome cartridge, and can go extremely long and is very effective on game of all sizes. However, it is expensive to feed, especially if you aren't a reloader. And for practice purposes, the recoil is relatively high, especially in a hunting weight rifle.

If money were no object, or if you had the means, I would consider a target specific rifle for fun, and hunting specific rifle for hunting and buy/build them for their purpose.

I'm not a hunter but I'll mention some things that I've picked up as an RSO on a private range. When you mention long range shooting you haven't mentioned what kind of shooting you envision. If it 1000yds in a competition environment that's different than 1 mile and 10 shots in a day. If Long range is packing and camping and hunting elk with 900yd shots that's likely a whole different rifle. If it's Precision LR shooting then its likely a different stock than a hunting stock.

Ultimately, I expect you envision the two as being different rifles simply because you asked the question. You are thinking the rifles should be different and therefor only one will be a compromise. It's possible that ultimately you may not be happy with it for either.

I am not a hunter, so my comment should not carry much weight. But when I got into LR shooting, all I had was hunting rifles, they got the job done. If I recall, 22-250, 260 Rem and 7mmm STW. I fell in love with shooting steel, but the lighter rifles were not that much fun to shoot, pencil thin barrels, pistol grip stocks, etc....
I moved on, to 15lb rifles, and was happy.
I also got my godson into LR shooting, had a BR style 6 BR built for him, using front rest, got him all knowed up. When he turned 12, time to hunt, and I told him we will have a dual purpose rifle built, hunting-target.
Funny, after thousands of guys failed at the same task, I thought I was smart enough to pull this off. Light Manners stock, Proof carbon barrel, lighter Leupold scope, it came in at 9.8lbs, over 15% of the kids body weight. The rifle didn't do justice to either hobby. It lasted 2 yrs, partially because he shot the barrel out target shooting.
Today, that rifle weighs 14lbs, it shoots steel, and he hunts with a nifty little customized Tikka 243, weighs 7.5lbs and the kid loves it.

What I am saying, 2 different hobbies, same, but worlds apart. I'd save my prized hunting rifles for just that and pick up a rifle to bang steel. Lot of decent options out there to learn on and not go in debt trying to sort things out.

Well, if you're like me, you'll start off building it to compromise between the two. It will be a great shooter, but then you'll always regret one or two of the decisions that made it a compromise.

So then you'll build out one specifically for long range. Heavy, Chassis, Long, etc.
Then you'll build one specifically for hunting, light, stock, shorter, etc.

And now you'll have 3 rifles - one of which (the original) never leaves the safe.

6.5 PRC
Less recoil than 7's. Can handload or buy great factory ammo. Can shoot steel out to 1,200 yards.
If you hunt elk, or bigger, go 7 SAUM. Accuracy is amazing but must handload and parts are scarce. Several good 7's have been mentioned (280, 7 PRC,etc)
30's are a different breed. IMO they are more than you need to hunt most animals in NA and can wear you out shooting 50 rounds at steel.

I would say, build the heaviest rifle you would be comfortable carrying in the field, and use that one for target shooting as well. If that rifle has too much recoil to enjoy target shooting, build another identical rifle chambered for a lower-powered cartridge.

That will allow you to develop muscle memory at the range, and then shoot that same (or an almost-identical) rifle in the field.

I shoot pretty heavy rifles, both in the field and at the range. I know some folks have a very strong preference for short / light rifles in the field, but once the rifle is slung on my shoulder, a few extra pounds doesn't really bother me.