Short barrel 300PRC advice

victor3ranger

I have a friend that is having trouble getting his 22" 300PRC to group well.
He has used H1000, Retumbo, and RL26.

With the barrel being shorter can he try some powder that is a little faster?

I have a friend that is having trouble getting his 22" 300PRC to group well.
He has used H1000, Retumbo, and RL26.

With the barrel being shorter can he try some powder that is a little faster?

Barrel length doesn't have an impact on powder besides speed of the bullet. Try a different bullet and seating depth change

I'd venture to say the problem isn't the powders.

What weight bullet is he trying to shoot? Has he tried more than one bullet? Also whats the twist rate and is it enough to stabilize the bullet he is shooting? I have had luck with 140's and 150's with Imr 4350 in a 7 mag.

I have told him about trying some 4350 but he hasn't found any data for it.
He has tried 190's, 215's, and 230's.
Not sure if it's him or something else. He has sent the rifle back to Christensen and they changed the barrel.
I may be shooting it to see if things change with me behind the trigger

I was kinda thinking that myself.
I think I am going to try to talk him into trying some N570 and retry the H1000.
This rifle has a carbon barrel and is suppressed

My Christensen traverse 300 prc was a complete dud. Same story as you, it has a carbon six prefit on it now. Shoots lots better, the old barrel was all over the place. I actually sent it out to have the chamber redone with the AW2 reamer and a +p throat. It was definitely better after that but still had fliers due to the barrel itself.

My Christensen traverse 300 prc was a complete dud. Same story as you, it has a carbon six prefit on it now. Shoots lots better, the old barrel was all over the place. I actually sent it out to have the chamber redone with the AW2 reamer and a +p throat. It was definitely better after that but still had fliers due to the barrel itself.
Very interesting thank you

Every really good barrel I have gotten shot pretty much everything I tried in it sub moa. Even the bad loads were around moa. If you have to jump through a lot of hoops to try and get it to shoot it's not a good sign.

I have told him about trying some 4350 but he hasn't found any data for it.
He has tried 190's, 215's, and 230's.
Not sure if it's him or something else. He has sent the rifle back to Christensen and they changed the barrel.
I may be shooting it to see if things change with me behind the trigger
Aaah, that's the word I was expecting to see in this thread, Christensen! I've owned 3 Mesa's all brand new, properly broken in, cleaned, etc. one was a titanium action, FFT stock model. None of them would group under 1.88" regardless of the powder, bullet, primer, brass, seating depth, etc. I wasted a lot of time and money on components, factory ammo, and one way, 1 hour drives to the range.

The Titanium had a noticeable, full circumference, bulge about mid-barrel on the exterior only. I sent it back to Christensen and rather than re-barrel, even after I told them about the poor performance, they just ground the bulge off, bead blast finished it and called it good. Luckily, the dealer I bought it from gave me a full $2500.00 refund and said he'd deal with Christensen on it.

I'll never own another one. While they can crank out quantity's, the quality control and customer service is lacking.

Aaah, that's the word I was expecting to see in this thread, Christensen! I've owned 3 Mesa's all brand new, properly broken in, cleaned, etc. one was a titanium action, FFT stock model. None of them would group under 1.88" regardless of the powder, bullet, primer, brass, seating depth, etc. I wasted a lot of time and money on components, factory ammo, and one way, 1 hour drives to the range.

The Titanium had a noticeable, full circumference, bulge about mid-barrel on the exterior only. I sent it back to Christensen and rather than re-barrel, even after I told them about the poor performance, they just ground the bulge off, bead blast finished it and called it good. Luckily, the dealer I bought it from gave me a full $2500.00 refund and said he'd deal with Christensen on it.

I'll never own another one. While they can crank out quantity's, the quality control and customer service is lacking.
Wow.
Sad