Short action magnums

I think you're thinking about this backwards. Who cares what the cartridge is? Pick a bullet, then figure out the speed, then determine your barrel length and the cartridge list will be significantly narrowed down for you.

Now, saying all that 300wsm has Norma, Nosler and ADG brass, I shoot 155's at 3260 in a 24" barrel. There isn't much that can stand it and it's fast enough that out to 800 it takes a significant wind for it to even matter. My next one will be a 20" barrel because I'm addicted to hunting suppressed.

Good luck…but pick your bullet, then figure out what cartridge will do what you want.
I think you may be onto something there.

I have not read this entire thread. I will just give my personal experience and the direction I went for my SA Mag elk rifle.

7SS
24" 1:8.4" Proof Sendero CF
Defiance AnTi X
Manners PRS2 (but have an LRH on order to shave about 1# off)
Hawkins Hunter DBM w. Accurate WSM mags (feeds absolutely fine)
TBAC Dominus

I am running the 184 Hyb @:
H1000 @ 2810fps
N565 @ 2886fps
RL26 @ 2916fps

I have tested 175 Elites over 3000, and 165TGKs @ 3080fps

Brass availability
And,.. the SHORT Neck !
If, the 7 WSM had, a Longer Neck and, a LONGER Action,.. IT would have been,.. a WINNER ( and NOW, facing,.. obsolescence ! )
The 7 PRC ENDS all of, the small, "Problems" of, the 7 Rem Mag and,.. the 7 WSM
AND with, a little Bit, better, Barrel Life to, Boot !
Sorry to be, the bearer of,.. Bad News

Last edited:
And,.. the SHORT Neck !
If, the 7 WSM had, a Longer Neck and, a LONGER Action,.. IT would have been,.. a WINNER !
The 7 PRC ENDS all the small, "Problems" of, the 7 Rem Mag and,.. the 7 WSM
AND with, a little Bit, better, Barrel Life to, Boot !
Sorry to be, the bearer of,.. Bad News
The longer action is on you, lol. Mine is in a long action. And I don't mind the neck; no need to chase lands in a hunting rifle.

The longer action is on you, lol. Mine is in a long action. And I don't mind the neck; no need to chase lands in a hunting rifle.
WSM = Winchester SHORT,.. Magnum.
Using a "Short action" and short Neck, for the, 7 WSM was, an Engineering MISTAKE by, Winchester,.. IMO
The .270 and .300 WSM's, are still,.. fairly, Popular !

Last edited:
Brass may be a problem but I shoot only factory in this rifle, for now anyways . U ntil I load up the 90 grain Hammers ( just for the fun of it ) . Right now I am saving all of my large rifle magnum primers for my pending 338 Allen Express .

Why no love for the 7wsm ? My Browning A bolt Medallion will put three holes in the end of a can at 500 yards with factory Federal Premium 160 accubonds at 3100 .
This one?
cokecans_6b.jpg

Agree that, Long, High BC bullets need some,.. action "Room",
The 7 PRC sales, are Blowing ALL, the other 7 MM's,.. AWAY for, a Reason !
The 7 SAUM seems fairly Safe from obsolesence as, it Fits, Short actions,.. WELL
I feel like it's the case of what's new. If the WSM never existed and Gunwerks brought out the new 7 GWSM and supported it with SRP Alpha OCD brass, a new copper mono equipped with a carbide tip, tungsten partition core encapsulated by the same synthetic indestructable plastic my fake marble countertops are made of, a .7 G1 that'll fly stable out of 1:9" ... people would be just as excited about as they are the PRC.