Shopping for a new chronograph, looking for input or feedback.

Last winter, it was cold and my sky screen snapped in half. I am really tired of waiting to go forward of the line and setting this thing up anyway so I was looking at new options.
1. magneto speed type, I don't like the thought of strapping it to my barrel, I want to shot for groups at the same time I am checking speed.
2. Lab Radar, very $ and still has issues with the app and people still complaining about it not picking up shots. Doesn't seem that user friendly for the money spent.

I am missing another option?
Should I just wait for an updated version?
What experience or work arounds do you folks have with these.
Thanks
Eric
Assuming the Magneto Speed works, is it accurate and glitch free?

The way I see it you have three choices
1. Spend the money for a "radar" type and ease of setup
2. Accept the POI change with the "Magneto" type, still easy setup
3. Longer time for setup, no POI change and reasonable price with "skyscreen" type chronos.
Only YOU know YOUR priorities and budget

I had a chrony and another one i had to shoot through. I got frustrated with them. I bit the bullet and bought the labradar. That has been one of my most favorite purchases ever. I seldom ever even verify zero with out it setting there running. I can set it up anywhere i shoot. I bought the rechargeable battery for it. No aggravation at all for me to use. If I'm at the range and others are there, I will time my shots between their's so as to keep it from getting confused but it could be adjusted out with the sensitivity. I haven't adjusted it since I'm usually there by myself.

Last winter, it was cold and my sky screen snapped in half. I am really tired of waiting to go forward of the line and setting this thing up anyway so I was looking at new options.
1. magneto speed type, I don't like the thought of strapping it to my barrel, I want to shot for groups at the same time I am checking speed.
2. Lab Radar, very $ and still has issues with the app and people still complaining about it not picking up shots. Doesn't seem that user friendly for the money spent.

Thanks
Eric
You DO NOT want to attach the magneto to your barrel! ! Out of a 1/8 metal plate approx. 2"x4" I drilled a hole and tapped so my tripod plate would screw into it and another hole for the bolt coming out of the bottom of the magneto speed. You will need to attach or hang some weight on your tripod because the force coming out of the barrel will move the magneto speed. MAKE SURE YOU align after each shot. I have a broken carbon arrow i stick in the barrel to line up the magneto speed.

Thanks
Eric
I had all the frustrations you have had for years. Bit the bullet and $ Labradar with recoil trigger (attaches to rifle) The only time I miss a shot now is if I forget to arm it. Time saved and frustrations gone is well worth the extra $ IMO. The magneto speed will affect your POI if strapped to your barrel.

I'm on the same search, Too!!! Thank you to all you very smart shooters. This is really helpful

1. Spend the money for a "radar" type and ease of setup
2. Accept the POI change with the "Magneto" type, still easy setup
3. Longer time for setup, no POI change and reasonable price with "skyscreen" type chronos.

There is no need to have to accept any POI change when using the Magneto Speed. As has been pointed out and obviously left unread, there are methods of attaching the Magneto style systems to the fore end of your stock either with a commercial design or a simple DIY design. These designs function as well as and better than the barrel attachment since there is no POI change at all.

And something left untouched in this discussion, David Tubb uses the Magneto Speed attached to his barrel during competitions since this consistency eliminated the potential change in POI by leaving the unit attached. Using this setup, he is able to monitor and keep track of any changes in his ammunition or rifle and ammunition.

I do like my Labradars (yes plural because they do need to go back to the factory on occasion...:() But I also like the Magneto Speed when it's attached to the stock. I sold my chronographs with sky screens years ago, too many failures and a royal PIA.

And like $600 primer seaters and $1800 case trimmers, I will continue to ignore the $940.00 (current conversion from Euros) entry into this market. :eek::)

Enjoy!

There is no need to have to accept any POI change when using the Magneto Speed. As has been pointed out and obviously left unread, there are methods of attaching the Magneto style systems to the fore end of your stock either with a commercial design or a simple DIY design. These designs function as well as and better than the barrel attachment since there is no POI change at all.

And something left untouched in this discussion, David Tubb uses the Magneto Speed attached to his barrel during competitions since this consistency eliminated the potential change in POI by leaving the unit attached. Using this setup, he is able to monitor and keep track of any changes in his ammunition or rifle and ammunition.

I do like my Labradars (yes plural because they do need to go back to the factory on occasion...:() But I also like the Magneto Speed when it's attached to the stock. I sold my chronographs with sky screens years ago, too many failures and a royal PIA.

And like $600 primer seaters and $1800 case trimmers, I will continue to ignore the $940.00 (current conversion from Euros) entry into this market. :eek::)

Enjoy!
There are work arounds for most issues if you want to put out the time/energy/money. But used as intended, there will be POI change. And yes, I am familiar with the Magneto workaround. Now try and do that workaround for 30 different rifles.
I could make a workaround on skyscreens if I wanted as well and not have to stand infront fo the firing line to set them up.
I am happy with my CED M2 with Infrared SkyScreens. Had them for many years, works for me. I biught what was in my budget for what I wanted to do.
I use an RCBS primer ram seater, it was under $40, I DO NOT anneal, I have a Lyman case trimmer I bought 40 years ago and a PACT electronic powder scale/dispenser I bought more than 20 years ago.
I do not have any custom rifles, and I don't have one that does NOT shoot under .75"/100 yards

I have a Labradar with a PIET trigger. I never miss a shot unless I forget to arm it or place the piet on the rifle. The downside is it is sensitive so you have to disarm between shots or it will give an error from the movement on the bolt is enough to think a shot was fired.

Since I do velocity testing and group tuning at the same time the magneto speed doesn't work for me at least not without all kinds of weird gadgets to mount it off the barrel.

There are work arounds for most issues if you want to put out the time/energy/money. But used as intended, there will be POI change. And yes, I am familiar with the Magneto workaround. Now try and do that workaround for 30 different rifles.
I could make a workaround on skyscreens if I wanted as well and not have to stand infront fo the firing line to set them up.
I am happy with my CED M2 with Infrared SkyScreens. Had them for many years, works for me. I biught what was in my budget for what I wanted to do.
I use an RCBS primer ram seater, it was under $40, I DO NOT anneal, I have a Lyman case trimmer I bought 40 years ago and a PACT electronic powder scale/dispenser I bought more than 20 years ago.
I do not have any custom rifles, and I don't have one that does NOT shoot under .75"/100 yards

Everyone here is extended the privilege of expressing their opinions on a huge variety of subjects. Just as often, members do not always agree with each others opinions. We have a large membership expressing a broad range of opinions for every question asked or every statement presented. See the topics which run 14-15 pages...

Many are satisfied with the status quo for opinions on equipment, cartridges, rifles, scopes and loads. Others like to be on the leading edge or as close as possible. Neither is right or wrong but merely expressing opinions. I may not agree with an assessment but as long as my response is civil and within the boundaries of the rules, I can certainly make it known.

Enjoy!

Lab is definitely more difficult to get used to. Buddy of mine just bought a magneto. Seems easy to use and set up. Poi does change on everything we've used it for so far. Looking into an adapter or something to get it off the barrel.