Shopping for a new chronograph, looking for input or feedback.

The LabRadar has worked very well for me after I learned how to use in properly. You need to make sure that it is aimed at the target, so it is necessary to mount some kind of sighting device on the top. I use a 3" length of brass tubing, which fits into the aiming slot and allows me to align the unit precisely. Also, the plane of the unit must be as close as possible to the rifle and slightly behind the muzzle. The big advantage of the LabRadar is that you can measure velocity and shoot for groups at the same time.

Last edited:
I have a Lab radar and a V3 Magneto speed. I bought the Lab Radar when they first came out. I haven't had any significant issues with it after a little learning curve. I use it for rifle and pistol both suppressed/ unsuppressed. It has worked for me for calibers ranging from .22 to .45 with no issues. I did add a plastic aiming device I bought online but I don't use the remote trigger. I mount the unit on a cheap tripod I bought for less than $40. By far my most common failure to read is my failure to remember to push the record button.
I only use the V3 for loaning out to others who don't have a chronograph and want to use one. The only reason I own the V3 is because it came out before the Lab Radar.

Last winter, it was cold and my sky screen snapped in half. I am really tired of waiting to go forward of the line and setting this thing up anyway so I was looking at new options.
1. magneto speed type, I don't like the thought of strapping it to my barrel, I want to shot for groups at the same time I am checking speed.
2. Lab Radar, very $ and still has issues with the app and people still complaining about it not picking up shots. Doesn't seem that user friendly for the money spent.

I am missing another option?
Should I just wait for an updated version?
What experience or work arounds do you folks have with these.
Thanks
Eric
I very much appreciate your questions!

I have LabRadar and would sell it in a second if something better came along. Based on many hours of personal experience, It does work for me and several friends all use it successfully. I added a trigger that easily attaches to most bottom metal. I don't use any aiming device and find it quite forgiving to setup. I don't understand all the comments from other users about setup and aiming devices. I just aim it by roughly having it directed across the path of the shot not directly at the target.

The software is not intuitive and asks the user to respond to questions there are no answers for other than OK (stupid). An innovative software / interface person could improve the product, oh say 1000%. But it does provide accurate results every time once you learn how to use the frustrating software interface features. I did upload the new revision of software and it is slightly better. From 0-10 it moved my rating up to a 2.

I bought a lab radar when they first came out. I had nothing but trouble with it at first. I had the microphone trigger and sometimes it would read and other times it would not I didn't know what the problem was. I thought it could be sighting it in so I bought a cheap 3D printed sight for it still had problems. I hated the pile of garbage. I read on line about others having problems and finally came across a thread on snipers hide about a new trigger switch. I bought that and it rekindled my love for this thing. I love it now and never have any issues. If you buy one make sure you get an external trigger switch that Velcro to the gun s as nd a cheap 3D sighting device and an external battery and you won't be sorry!

I love the magneto speed. It's so simplistic and takes up such a small space. Unless I'm really trying hard to get one hole groups I just shoot a three shot for my ballistic app and then true it up on the range. There are adaptors for it so it doesnt attach to your barrel and you can shoot groups. I notice it shoots groups as good or better in some cases attached, just shifted from POA a little up and left.

For those concerned, there are a couple of other methods of attaching the Magneto Speed to a rifle. Some are more complicated than necessary and as a result more expensive. I bypassed these in favor of another idea.

The basic idea is to use a lightweight but rigid tube (carbon fiber) attached to the stock forearm. You can replace swivels on the forearm with a shorter piece of Picatinny rail then use lightweight scope rings on the rail to hold the tube.

There are videos and webpages with photographs.

:)

I have both. My labradar has trigger and aiming device. For me still very frustrating at times, especially as when it won't register a shot you don't know where to move it. Trigger device is nice but easy for things like racking a new round in the chamber to give a false trigger. Like trying to zero a rifle when you are not on paper. Magnetospeed is just less hassle and used for me way more.

IMHO, YMMV.

JB

I have an old Pact and a magnetospeed. The magnetospeed is simple and works great and it is way more convenient than the pact. The pact is also simple and works great once you know the tricks of managing light so it can see the bullet, but setting it up isn't convenient. I will likely get a doppler type sometime, I do see groups change and definite POI shift using the magnetospeed and I would like to skip the part of load development where I waste components shooting with the magnetospeed to get speeds and still have to do the accuracy testing.