Shooting Hogs During Their Security Checks

Double Naught Spy

Not all hogs will give you this chance, but often times lone hogs come in will be on their guard, stopping every few feet to assess their security, sniffing the air, listening, etc., then proceeding and repeating a short distance later. Sometimes you will get sentinel hogs in sounders that will do the same thing even when all of the other hogs are scurrying around. This is when I really enjoy shooting the hog. First, the hog is usually quite stationary. Second, they often present something good to shoot (high head or at least a nice broadside). Third, I like the irony of beating them when they are most on guard.

This hog was a fine example of this...

[ame]https://youtu.be/7O_z7eUPz7s[/ame]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O_z7eUPz7s&feature=youtu.be

nice. if only he had turned around to check the rear, you could have shot his!

Cool video!

I briefly thought about going hunting last night since I've got plenty of photos of hogs in the rain but as I was on my way to the garage the lighting and thunder started so I watched baseball instead.

Anybody have insight to hog behavior in heavy rain?

it's usually dry around here. when it rains, hogs move more freely and farther, i guess because they don't have to stay as close to the water hole. i think they're going to eat no matter what, unless of course they get shot at. i have yet to see a hog that didn't like the rain. question is... does the rain bother you more than staying home and reading packratts ignerrent posts???

I have had some game cam images of hogs at the feeder during heavy storms. I have had a bunch more of hogs at feeder immediately after heavy storms. I think that if they are already close by or there when the rains hit, they go ahead and eat. If they are back where they feel safe nesting and the storms hit, then they don't venture too far during the storms, preferring to wait out the storm for a while. If the storm goes on for too long, then they just go an eat.

I don't think anything keeps hogs from eating for too long.

Anything short of heavy storms and they will still be out and moving. Of course, all of this is what I see happening in north Texas. Behaviors may differ in other areas.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts