Shooting after cataracts surgery

I take lutein for my eyes 20 to 25 MG a day works miracles. I use to wear glasses now I don't. IT also reduces cardracks. IN DOGS they have something call causes which totally devolves them all together. I got to where 50 yards was as far as I could see deer cleat. I can now see deer clearly 650 yards across the Pasture .It works miracles with eyes for sure .I have avoided being cut on my eyes for 20 years using lutien .

Lutein helps slow the progression of the "dry"-type of age-related macular degeneration (AMD). I'm glad you feel it has helped you @dgr416

Just to be clear - for others who are reading this - there is no scientific evidence (controlled studies) to show lutein has any effect on cataract formation or progression.

But lutein won't hurt you either. If there is a family history of macular degeneration, taking 10mg of lutein each day can be beneficial.

Lutein helps slow the progression of the "dry"-type of age-related macular degeneration (AMD). I'm glad you feel it has helped you @dgr416

Just to be clear - for others who are reading this - there is no scientific evidence (controlled studies) to show lutein has any effect on cataract formation or progression.

But lutein won't hurt you either. If there is a family history of macular degeneration, taking 10mg of lutein each day can be beneficial.

One of my issues is dry eye.

Def going to have get surgery rescheduled. Left eye is getting worse. Need a few more weeks to recover from my accident and I need to get it done. Just frustrating I have to pay 4500 out of pocket to get lense with assured 20/20 vision in the end.

One of my issues is dry eye.

Def going to have get surgery rescheduled. Left eye is getting worse. Need a few more weeks to recover from my accident and I need to get it done. Just frustrating I have to pay 4500 out of pocket to get lense with assured 20/20 vision in the end.
Yep, but NOT assured to improve your vision.

Hey @BrentM
Dry eyes are a common problem for people over 40 years old as our tear production drops in half by then. Very frustrating. That's when artificial tears come in handy (systane, tears plus, and a bunch of others.)

I do hope your ribs, clavicle, and shoulder are healing up and you are getting stronger each day. You really took a beating. Hopefully you will make out okay w/time.

Just to be clear, no doctor will promise or guarantee you will end up with 20/20 vision after cataract surgery, even if you pay extra for a premium/advanced technology lens. They can hope for that. They can expect it should happen based on their pre-op exam of you, but there are no guarantees how your particular eye will respond to the surgery.

Ophthalmologists like to underpromise & overdeliver versus telling a patient 20/20 will happen and then - for whatever reason - it doesn't. Too many variables. If someone is "guaranteeing" 20/20 after cataract surgery, have them put it in writing along with what you get if they fail. You'll start to hear a lot of hemming and hawing and see 'exceptions' being inserted into that guarantee.

Also, no ophthalmologist I know of will "guarantee" you won't need glasses ever, for anything, after cataract surgery even if you pay for premium lenses. They may EXPECT you won't need glasses after surgery but no one will promise that because there are just too many variables at play. People are not machines (we are all very different!) and surgery isn't always going to go as planned. That's just how it is.

The 4500 lense is adjustable to 20/20 prescription. None of the others are.
I have not heard of the "4500 lense". To the best of my knowledge, the only lens that is adjustable AFTER surgery in the USA is the LIGHT ADJUSTABLE LENS (LAL) by RxSight (https://rxsight.com/patients/). The lens power is adjustable postoperatively using a special UV light source machine. Once ideal prescription is found, lens can be 'locked in' to that prescription.
EDITED: I think Brent was inferring that the lens that costs $4500 is the one that is adjustable, and that would be the LAL, which is correct.

Hey @BrentM
Dry eyes are a common problem for people over 40 years old as our tear production drops in half by then. Very frustrating. That's when artificial tears come in handy (systane, tears plus, and a bunch of others.)

I do hope your ribs, clavicle, and shoulder are healing up and you are getting stronger each day. You really took a beating. Hopefully you will make out okay w/time.

Just to be clear, no doctor will promise or guarantee you will end up with 20/20 vision after cataract surgery, even if you pay extra for a premium/advanced technology lens. They can hope for that. They can expect it should happen based on their pre-op exam of you, but there are no guarantees how your particular eye will respond to the surgery.

Ophthalmologists like to underpromise & overdeliver versus telling a patient 20/20 will happen and then - for whatever reason - it doesn't. Too many variables. If someone is "guaranteeing" 20/20 after cataract surgery, have them put it in writing along with what you get if they fail. You'll start to hear a lot of hemming and hawing and see 'exceptions' being inserted into that guarantee.

Also, no ophthalmologist I know of will "guarantee" you won't need glasses ever, for anything, after cataract surgery even if you pay for premium lenses. They may EXPECT you won't need glasses after surgery but no one will promise that because there are just too many variables at play. People are not machines (we are all very different!) and surgery isn't always going to go as planned. That's just how it is.

I have not heard of the "4500 lense". To the best of my knowledge, the only lens that is adjustable AFTER surgery in the USA is the LIGHT ADJUSTABLE LENS (LAL) by RxSight (https://rxsight.com/patients/). The lens power is adjustable postoperatively using a special UV light source machine. Once ideal prescription is found, lens can be 'locked in' to that prescription.
EDITED: I think Brent was inferring that the lens that costs $4500 is the one that is adjustable, and that would be the LAL, which is correct.
I know everyone's budget is different, but I can't believe that some people won't spend 10K on LAL lenses but think nothing of spending twice that on a side by side. The 10K I spent on my LAL lenses were the best 10K I have ever spent.

I have commented several times on LAL's, but not on shooting guns after cataract surgery. My surgeon said I could shoot any rifle, even if I got whacked by the scope. However, he said major head trauma would be an issue.

I know everyone's budget is different, but I can't believe that some people won't spend 10K on LAL lenses but think nothing of spending twice that on a side by side. The 10K I spent on my LAL lenses were the best 10K I have ever spent.

I have commented several times on LAL's, but not on shooting guns after cataract surgery. My surgeon said I could shoot any rifle, even if I got whacked by the scope. However, he said major head trauma would be an issue.
It’s just bad timing. Having to redo the fence, roof my house, and now medical bills. I’m looking at 20k here soon

It's been two weeks since I had the lens replacement and Vitrectomy on the right eye. My vision is still a bit blurry. So, the question is "how long does it take before the vision clears up"? Some folks say the day after the surgery and some say months later. Any idea?
I'm 2 weeks out from laser and Toric lens. Day after was cloudy, next day clouds gone, vision sharp, never discomfort. Best to ya.

Well talked to the center yesterday and rescheduled. Getting worse so it's time. Looks like we are doing LRI. Apparently with my current vision at 20/20 to 20/25 the correction for the astigmatism is the big factor and the lense should just put right where I need to be, no long distance prescription or corrective device needed. Fingers crossed.

@Frog4aday
Hi! I am 77 yo with PSC in both eyes, Astigmatism of; Right = 1.07 D @ 0* and, Left = 0.48 D @ 96*. I will be having Cataract Surgery and am trying o decide between regular lenses with LRI as part of Cataract Surgery for Right and the same for Left or, a Toric Lens for Right. I have choice of Lenses with Technis Monofocus being my current inclination. Your "Off-the Record" remark / comment would be sincerely appreciated. Thank you for reading!

Had surgery last week in the left eye. LRI and standard lense. Been a rough week with 3 days of major irritation and currently distance vision is blurry with close vision crystal clear. Oddly my follow up apt shows I’m 20/20 but was told to chill out and be patient. Next apt is 2 weeks. Hoping it settles in and my far vision is good. My right cataract is beginning to be more evident.

Had my right eye done May 15th along with a Vitrectomy. My vision is jot as good (blurry) at distance as prior to the surgery. Doctor says give it a couple of months more to stabilize and he will tweak it to get rid of the residual astigmatism.