Sherman wildcat prefit barrels

I am definitely interested. Currently have a LA savage I want to build but also looking for good deal on a SA.

Some guys seem scared to do a prefit barrel with a SAUM or WSM case on a small shank savage or Remington. Do you think that will be a problem? I'd look way seriously at a prefit if you could cut it for Remington threads but without the breach cone and just leave it flat like a savage prefit.

I have screwed on quite a few WSM and SAUM based small shank tubes and never had any issues. Some smiths say Savage went to the large shank for extraction issues on the small shank WSM. IDK I am not an engineer nor have I had 1 single issue with the small shank.

Some guys seem scared to do a prefit barrel with a SAUM or WSM case on a small shank savage or Remington. Do you think that will be a problem? I'd look way seriously at a prefit if you could cut it for Remington threads but without the breach cone and just leave it flat like a savage prefit.

From what I have heard from smiths, it is not a good idea to build a .550 case on a small shank but it has been done.

Where can I find a list of sherman wildcats and info? Very Interested in prefits

Feel free to pm me and I will give you my phone #. I am feeling the pressure to get a website up and even stoop to Facebook:D
In short, I have a long action line based on the 270W case from 6.5 to 338 that will perform with a comparable bore belted magnum with much less powder.

The Short action line is based on the SAUM parent but is shortened considerably and reconfigured so that it holds as much as the parent case. It is more efficient and will outrun the parent. A huge benefit is that it will cycle the long bullets in a short action magazine.

All of the Sherman designs are based on very low body taper, 40 degree shoulders, and long necks. All around performance is the goal. velocity, efficiency, case and barrel life........Rich

Interested for sure! Would you do a 300 SS in a 9 twist or a 7SS in a 8 twist?

That is purely a preference thing. The 300 will reach 3000 with a 215 Berger and the 7 will exceed 3100' with a 180 Berger. We have even reached 3000' with the 195's at max. I would do a 10 twist or less depending on your elevation with the 300 and a 215 and an 8 twist for the 7mm.......Rich

Looks like most are interested in the SS (Sherman Short)...I be the odd man out since I have a savage 116 in a long action. The 6.5 long action off the 270 case would be my interest.

The large shank vs small shank issue really isn't an issue with a WSM size case, the main reason I recommend using a large shank Savage action that starts life as a WSM is because of cost effectiveness. I also see nothing but good when putting more steel around the case but sooo many RUM size cases are ran on the small shank that it does not concern me besides if a Remington can handle it with a 1.062 16 tpi then a Savage will handle it at a 1.050 at 20 tpi.

Starting with a WSM large shank Savage means everything is correct to just drop on a new barrel and rally, no messing with large pin small pin, WSM bolt head vs mag bolt head stuff.

Rich's 7SS stared life as a WSM Savage, swapped out the stock and order a factory DBM for a clean function, it's built with a NSS ground lug and trued nut, and it is one of the stupidest shooting guns I've seen!!!!

The large shank vs small shank issue really isn't an issue with a WSM size case, the main reason I recommend using a large shank Savage action that starts life as a WSM is because of cost effectiveness. I also see nothing but good when putting more steel around the case but sooo many RUM size cases are ran on the small shank that it does not concern me besides if a Remington can handle it with a 1.062 16 tpi then a Savage will handle it at a 1.050 at 20 tpi.

Starting with a WSM large shank Savage means everything is correct to just drop on a new barrel and rally, no messing with large pin small pin, WSM bolt head vs mag bolt head stuff.

Rich's 7SS stared life as a WSM Savage, swapped out the stock and order a factory DBM for a clean function, it's built with a NSS ground lug and trued nut, and it is one of the stupidest shooting guns I've seen!!!!

Well are ya in on spinning up some prefits for us nutcases?

Rich's 7SS stared life as a WSM Savage, swapped out the stock and order a factory DBM for a clean function, it's built with a NSS ground lug and trued nut, and it is one of the
stupidest shooting guns I have seen!!!

And it is only a #4 contour:D

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.