Sever Chronic Pain and Spinal Cord Stimulators – NERVO

Some of you know me through this forum and have had personal conversations with me on hunting, shooting, reloading and PAIN Management. I am writing this because it may help some of you now or in the future. I had a sever spinal cord injury years ago and didn't really know how bad it was until I had an MRI done. The surgeon said that if I didn't have immediate surgery in my neck C-2 & C-3 that I could be paralyzed. Well I had the surgery and ended up paralyzed, had to have another operation to correct that and let me in sever Chronic pain. I had to have a third operation which fused C-2 To C-7in my spinal cord (neck section). After that operation it left me in worse pain and disabled. I ended up losing my employment as well as my everyday lifestyle. This has been going on for FIVE years now.
I was given every pain medication out there in extremely high doses. My body is immune to Opioids so that did not take the pain away. I had RFAs (Radio Frequency Ablation) several times and that did not work. I had an Eperderial and it only made it worse.
I changed Pain Management Doctors and was offered to have a "Trial" for Spinal cord stimulators – NERVO.
This is a newer type of treatment, but usually only for back and leg pain. My new Dr is one of the few that will put the Implant into the "C" section of the spine. I also have several other issues because of the scar tissue and all the "Hardware" holding my spinal cord together.
This new process is my LAST Resort. I was told by FIVE DR's & Surgeons that I will have this pain for the rest of my life. The only way that I can go one everyday is because of my Faith and my wonderful wife Jill.
I finally got the "TEST" SCS Implants approved and had them installed in my spine from the middle of my back all the way to the base of my spine. It was a wire with the "Leads" placed under my skin and on my spine. That was attached to a battery pack taped to my lower back. I also had a remote control to be used for different programs during the Test.
I had the "System" put in on November 5th​ and removed Nov 9th​. The first wo days I had pain from the wires under my skin, but reduction of pain in my spine -neck. There were two adjustments in the electricity on the second and third day. It was almost like a miracle! My pain was reduced 80-90 almost 100%. I have not had that kind of relief since before the operations five years ago. Using the SCS along with minimal pain meds may give me an almost pain free life again.
By the way the electrical frequency is so high that there is no sense or feeling of electricity.
I got a call on Nov 11th​ and my insurance approved the procedure for Permanent Implants. I am scheduled to go in on Nov 23rd​ where the Implant "Leads" Wires & Battery Pack will be placed under my skin. Full recovery time is about 6 weeks for my body to attach to the leads and wires.
I will just have to charge the battery through a wireless system every day.
Hopefully the Permanent Implants will give me the same or better pain reduction.
I will put another post up a while after the procedure and jive an update.
Just wanted to let anyone know about the procedure if you have run out of options like myself.
If you want to know more about the SCS feel free to PM me.
Thanks and God Bless
Len
That is wonderful news! I am so happy you have hope for relief.
Maybe you can hook a solar charger to keep the battery charged...lol

Good evening all!
I just want to thank everyone for your prayers and responses/PMs. You are all a GREAT bunch of people we have made many new friends since being on this forum.
Since I am waiting for the Permanent Implants it is back to being in pain 24/7, not too much interaction with anyone or any activity. I am trying to keep up with responding to PMs and Texts I can't wait until next week 11/23 to have the surgery done and start getting relief.
As far as the electrical part and re-charging. They will put the SCS unit, which includes the electronics and battery under my skin located in my back. To charge the unit there is a "Battery Pack" that is charged off the 110V wall. this battery pack is then worn with a belt and the battery pack is placed over the area where the SCS is located. The unit will than be charged "Wireless". From the instructions I have read so far this is done every day typically the same time. It is automatically controlled and unit will sense how much charging is needed. This all depends on how much of electricity is used by the SCS unit.
The "Solar Charger" is a good idea. I can just wear the panels on my hat when I go outside. Last week with the "TEST" Implants I looked like a CYBORG with wires sticking out of my back and and a battery taped to me.
I will give everyone an update by the end of next week. I'll probably be sore from the surgery on Tuesday with putting the battery in my lower back and then sliding the wires under my skin and on top of my spine to the base of my skull along with stitching everything to my inside. They say recovery is about six weeks for everything to get attached to flesh. Looks like all the rifle builds we wanted to have finished by the end of the year will have to wait until the beginning of 2022. I really miss shooting, hunting, and building, but not going to miss all the pain.
It will all be worth it if I get the same amount pain relief as the Test. It will be life changing!
We are always praying for other's that are going through chronic pain and wish that they can have relief also.
Thanks & God Bless
Len

I was going to ask if there was some type of solar unit for this. When pain is under control again, and I hope that is soon, you could enjoy hunting in the sun. I am very happy to hear of this technology, and hope it works good for your. Looking forward to hearing your update.

UPDATE!
I got home today around noon after 4 hours in the surgery center getting the SCS Implants put in. My neck feels OK, but my back where they put the wires under my skin and especially where the battery pack is located really is hurting up a storm. They told me "Rest & Heal" the next week so just trying to sit on the couch.
My SCS implant unit is set on a very low setting and won't be changed for at least one week to see how it is effecting me. I go in another week to get the stiches taken out and more training on charging and care. Right now the battery will last a lot longer than a week before charging.
Will let y'all know more next week
God Bless everyone else with chronic pain.

UPDATE!
I got home today around noon after 4 hours in the surgery center getting the SCS Implants put in. My neck feels OK, but my back where they put the wires under my skin and especially where the battery pack is located really is hurting up a storm. They told me "Rest & Heal" the next week so just trying to sit on the couch.
My SCS implant unit is set on a very low setting and won't be changed for at least one week to see how it is effecting me. I go in another week to get the stiches taken out and more training on charging and care. Right now the battery will last a lot longer than a week before charging.
Will let y'all know more next week
God Bless everyone else with chronic pain.
UPDATE
Well i guess it is time for an updated on the SCS. I had the operation on the 23rd and for the last few weekS I have been working with the Technicians at NERVO. Once or twice a week I meet with them by phone to discuss the progress of the Stimulator. It is not the same as the Trial period when I had over 80% relief.
The first week was rough due to having the wires, electrodes, and the battery pack implanted under my skin. The stitches take up to 5-6 week to heal.
I have to say that it has and is still rough for me. The Stimulator has (5) Programs and (7) power levels for each level. There is a period where they have to try these programs and power levels to see a positive result. There were supposed to be (2) Stimulator Cords implanted, but the Dr couldn't get the sec Cord in due to spinal cord space.
The first Program took pain away from C-1 to C-6, But had more pain in C-7 & T-1&2.
The second Program made everything worse.
The Third Program helped in taking away the pain from T-1&2 and C-7 and move it to C-6& C-5
They then increased the power level to #4. Neck still has a lot of pain and still need Pain meds.
It takes about a week for the Programs to affect the nerves so it is a 'Hit & Miss"
Tomorrow Thursday morning 12/23 I have another meeting. Probably going to get it changed to another Program & Power.
I still have a lot of hope for this system to work. Just got to get the correct electrical frequency hitting the right nerves. We still have several Programs & Power Levels and these Programs can also be combined. I am in the starting phase so they try the lowest setting first.
I have high hopes for one of these Programs to work because it is my last hope. I pray to God each day. If it finally works for me then there is HOPE for other people with my condition to get pain relief.
I get pain relief now, but with still using high doses of pain meds.
After (5) years of sever spinal cord pain I am kind of looking for a Miracal. I was told that it would not be total pain free but would help a lot. Right now I am looking for that "HELP A LOT" .Sometimes especially in the morning when I am in a lot of pain and do not feel like or want to do anything is the WORST for me. I used to work 16 hours a day 6-7 day a week and loved it. Now it is hard jut to go to the mail box or read. We have all new Gunsmithing Equipment, Machines, Cerakoting Equipment and can get that just little extra push to get started. We have (%) rifle builds ready to go with the barrels, actions, triggers, stocks, Glass, and enough powder, brass, bullets, primers to burnout several barrels in each caliber.
Hopefully thing will change soon. I have several friends coming over to place our Lathe and mount/level it right after Christmas. Then some electrical and get the Cerakote operation hooked back up. Once you make a plan then things happen.
I still have some weeks of testing different Programs so I am hopeful and putting all my faith in Jesus Christ.
Could always use some positive thoughts and Prayers.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all! 2022 is going to be a good year!

Len & Jill

My thoughts and prayers are with you. I had a stimulator put in the fall of 2016 and have had around 90% pain relief. This was after 4 years of severe pain and like you loss of employment. After getting the stimulator I was able to get back to work and back to enjoying the great outdoors. Keep your chin up and continue to pursue every option until you find something that works for you.
Jon

UPDATE
I get pain relief now, but with still using high doses of pain meds.
After (5) years of sever spinal cord pain I am kind of looking for a Miracal. I was told that it would not be total pain free but would help a lot. Right now I am looking for that "HELP A LOT" .Sometimes especially in the morning when I am in a lot of pain and do not feel like or want to do anything is the WORST for me. I used to work 16 hours a day 6-7 day a week and loved it. Now it is hard jut to go to the mail box or read.

I still have some weeks of testing different Programs so I am hopeful and putting all my faith in Jesus Christ.
Could always use some positive thoughts and Prayers.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all! 2022 is going to be a good year!
I had about 5lbs of Titanium placed in my back over the last year. Basically from butt crack to neck with a small gap.

I only mention it for 3 reasons. 1) It's hard to get folks to treat pain. 2) Not all are knowledgeable about, all options. 3) When the guys started praying for me I was headed for a nursing home not rehab. The next Dr. in the room, I never saw before, or again, changed my meds to something livable, and I went to rehab.

Prayer works, but remember Daniels wait. You're definitely included in mine Len.

Len,
How is your treatment/recovery going. I din't want to hijack DJ's post.
Hope you are getting better
Cheers