Semi custom vs factory

Ryan Pierce built me a 28 Noler on a Kelby Atlas, and I shoot it very little as that cartridge is a notorious barrel burner, but it is lights out to 1000 yards, haven't shot it past that. It's my hunting rifle, and that's what I do with it. Custom rifles are amazing when they are built by the right person, that being said, I just bought a Bergara B14 Wilderness Sierra in 7MM PRC, and eight rounds in I am impressed. I'm left-handed so options are limited in cartridge unless I go custom, but for $1000 it's going to be hard to beat this setup. Factory trigger is a crisp 2 pounds, the owners manual says 2.2, but my trigger scale says 2. I shoot suppressed and it's already threaded, very little recoil with some Federal factory ammo I picked up for break in and get me a little more brass on hand. I wasn't expecting something to shoot past 500, but after the first 8 rounds I'm not so certain, this thing shoots well. I know it's early, but I have two more Bergara's in the safe and both of them shoot fantastic after hundreds of rounds. Tikka's are great rifles, not sure of their triggers out of the box, almost anything can be adjusted or a better trigger found, but this rifle out of the box is impressive so far. Nice stock, nice fit, great trigger, and during break in it just keeps putting bullets in the same spot. One thing to look at and talk to a good gunsmith about is barreling. Some factory actions are not an easy task to rebarrel, and really good custom builders around here won't touch some of them. The 700 will require work getting it ready, but almost anyone that's a good gunsmith can rebarrel a 700 clone or Remington action, but others not so much.

WHEN, the Winds are Howling and Snow / Rain's, Falling you WON'T want to, take an UN-weildy, Heavy Rifle, into the Dark Timber ***,..
*** WHERE, the Elk,. WILL,.. Be when, the Weather,. Gets, Ugly.
And if you've never hunted the Dark Timber you WILL be in for an experience. Springfield 2020 Boundary. 300 Win Mag.

Some pretty solid advice so far, in my opinion. I like the custom/semi-custom option for these "older" cartridges that the SAAMI chambers/throating aren't always set up to run the longer, heavier bullets farther out (if you're reloading). I have to seat the Barnes 175 LRX in my factory 300WSM barrel way down into the case.
I'd agree with not using a factory 700 and building off that unless you already have it. It sounds like you have some time, and with Black Friday and everything coming up, keep an eye out for good deals/sales. You can really take the sting out of the custom build price tag by waiting on some sales. Get on the email lists of all these sites (not just the big box sites) and you'll save a lot of money. I bought the Proof carbon barrel blank for my wife's 300WSM for about $550(shipped), which I thought was pretty good.
I built her rifle off a Tikka 300WSM that I bought for around $550. Put a lighter trigger spring in it, longer bolt stop, and a Hells Canyon magazine and sent it off to the gunsmith (West Elk Precision) for chambering. I paid full price for the McMillan stock and that's because I went with a short length of pull for her but if a standard LOP will work for you, you can find a good deal on a high end stock fairly easy too. Her rifle ended up around 8.5# with scope but without bipod.
These are our two 300WSMs. Mine is the tan stock (McMillan Hunter) and my wife's—built on the Tikka—is the green (McMillan Game Warden). My groups with the Savage literally were cut in half when I switched the factory wood stock with the McMillan. I'd like to rebarrel the Savage but it shoots so good with the factory barrel, I have a hard time convincing myself. Holds ~.5 - .75 MOA out to 600 yards with handloads.
IMG_9318.jpeg

Probably should wait a few years for a custom until you have hunted and killed elk and have a good understanding of what you want to carry around while hunting. Just get one of those guns that include the scope in suitable caliber, find good ammo it likes and go hunt. Then you can decide if you want or need to shoot longer range or want a lighter rifle, start looking at custom stuff. People getting customs have specific desires in a rifle or they are feeding their ego.

I should also add that i'm a younger man in the best shape of my life (21) so a heavier-better shooting rifle might be advantageous for me currently

How much better is better? 😉 In other words, what do you require as your minimum accuracy standard? Also, anything under 9 pounds, scoped/loaded/slung, should be able to meet most accuracy demands.

There are good factory rifles or some semi-custom builds that can shoot pretty darn good….."without breaking the bank"!

Not knowing your financial status, perhaps your extra 💰 could be better spent on quality hunting equipment…….boots, bags, binoculars, rangefinders, packframes, ect, ect!

Just the opinion of an "old fart" that wasn't born with "a silver spoon" placed in a less than desirable location! 😉 memtb

Another vote for the Seekins ph2 or element. I'd end up having double the money in a ultralight custom build that my 7prc element cost, and likely not shoot much/any better. If you don't mind the weight and don't plan to run a can I'd lean towards the ph2.

Have you given any thought to glass?

By far the best deal I've seen on an awesome hunting scope. The 4.5-22 ffp is great too if you'd rather FFP, but I haven't caught it at nearly as good of a price yet.
That's a helluva price for that scope. I'm trying to keep myself from ordering one. It is payday though… haha!

That's a helluva price for that scope. I'm trying to keep myself from ordering one. It is payday though… haha!
I'm amazed they still have some, I wasnt planning on springing for another LHT yet...but couldn't pass that up when I'm currently wrapping up my 2nd 84hr week in a row 🤣

I went with the mil version, supposed to be here Monday! I've got the same scope with the g4i reticle on my 7prc, and the 4.5-22 ffp on a 20" do all 6arc bolt gun and love em. Robbed the G4i off my 18" lr308 for the PRC and replaced it with an athlon helos gen2 2-12...but now I'm not sure how it will end up. The LHT on the way will probably end up on the most accurate out of the .308 (criterion) or a 14.5" 6arc (CLE Douglas) AR I'm currently building, and the helos on the other. Small and large frame all arounders. My money is on the 6arc but gotta get some time off work to put it together and through the wringer!