Seeking big game results using .338 300 gr Berger hybrid

AZShooter

As stated above, am interested in hearing of any big game hunting results using the newer redesigned 300 gr hybrid bullet. Please include impact velocities.

thanks

Here is all I have so far. Might have an elk in the next few days.

Antelope @ 500 and something. (I forget exactly) .338 Lapua 300 gr Berger with an impact velocity of about 2321fps.

DSC03185Small.jpg

entrance from inside rib cage

DSC03187Small.jpg

Exit

DSC03188Small.jpg

I saw your first picture and was going to ask about bullet performance, then I got to the next pics. WOW!

I am tempted to take along my LR 338 RCM on an cow elk hunt as a supplimental rifle if we find some open areas where we could glass and shoot. (I'd rather find them close up in the woods but it is nice to be prepared) Mine retains your reported velocity at 450 yds @ 7500 ft. Based on what you showed there shouldn't be an issue even at slower impact velocites. I figure a double shoulder shot, if possible would be a great stopper even with velocities just above 2000 ft/sec. My RCM with this bullet would still retain 2178 fps at 650 yds.

Thanks for your reply. Look forward to hearing how it worked on your elk hunt.

Any other results out there?

Last edited:
There is another thread on here some where w/same thing. Son and I shot goats @ 550 and 800, his looked like Broz. Mine was bedded and I took off both legs and brisket. Shot a bull @ 50 in thick brush, fist size entrance, ? 338 Norma 2725 muzzle, 2014 @ 800.

I saw your first picture and was going to ask about bullet performance, then I got to the next pics. WOW!

This is why I posted all 3 pics. These pics demnstrate the bullet did exactly as Berger advertises. Entrance side has a .338 hole and you had to hunt to find it. By the time it entered the chest cavity it was opening up. Then the exit speaks for it self. Needless to say the goat expired before it hit the ground.

Jeff

Wow...

I had been searching for game results for it too and had not found anything.

i shot my cow at 430 yards with savage 338LM using 300g bergers and 91g of rl25.she was facing me ever so slightly quartered away and the bullet hit her in the chest right ahead of the front leg struck a rib and left about a 1.25" entrance hole.it then hit the heart,there was roughly a fist size section of heart left,the rest of the heart was pretty much liquified.the fist size section that was left was pretty tore up also.the bullet did not exit and didn't damage any other organs.i dropped her in her tracks 60 yards from the retrieval road :D

Thanks again Broz. Good shooting! Great results for a bullet slowing down to under 2000 fps.

I appreciate all the feedback. I will definitely take my LR 338 RCM along on my cow elk hunt in two weeks. I may not use it as I prefer sneaking around in the woods but it is nice to have if all we see are cows in the open at longer distances.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.