Scope Brush?

98s1lightning

Is a scope brush the proper way to clean scope lenses?

I never known the proper way, only have one nice scope, want it to last, and not screw it up by rubbing/scratching it.

I always used the cleanest softest rag I could find on my previous scopes.

I got the following from the Zero Compromise online manual:

2. Use a can of compressed air to blow off dust and dirt particles from the lenses. Take care to hold the can upright and not drip the fluid on the lenses as this can cause damage.
3. Hold the scope with the lens being cleaned facing downward to allow dirt to fall away from the lenses. Use an optical quality lens cleaning brush to remove the remaining dust and dirt particles from the lens.
4. If dirt particles are still stuck to the lens, flush the lens with distilled water allowing the water to drain away from the scope. Allow the lens and lens edges to completely dry before proceeding.
5. Use a high-quality micro-fiber lens cloth to remove any water stains or smudges from the lens surface. Keep this micro fiber cloth clean and protected to prevent abrasive particles from sticking to it.

If you put a good pair of flip up scope caps on your scopes, the only time they will even have an opportunity to get dusty or dirty is when your ready to pull the trigger and you might only need to clean it a few times in your lifetime... maybe.

If you put a good pair of flip up scope caps on your scopes, the only time they will even have an opportunity to get dusty or dirty is when your ready to pull the trigger and you might only need to clean it a few times in your lifetime... maybe.

No flip ups available for my model last time I checked with -not sure what manufacturer-

Leupold Vari-X III 2.5-8x36mm

The first thing I do when buying a scope is to buy a set of Butler Creek flip-ups. I've had some scopes for 20 years and never had to clean the lenses.
No flip ups available for my model last time I checked with -not sure what manufacturer-

Leupold Vari-X III 2.5-8x36mm
You may have to measure your scope to match up the correct fit, but I had that same scope with Butler Creek caps. Unless they've been discontinued, you should be able to find them.