School me on Suppressors?

Direct Thread is the way to go. Better accuracy in my experience and some of the QD attachments become stuck by carbon buildup and then they are a pai to remove. DT is accurate and simple. Be sure to use some automotive silver antisieze compound on the threads and they screw on and off by hand easily.

I do think the QD systems are necessarily more prone to getting stuck but they are more prone to being neglected due to ease of use. I've seen where people have claimed their Surefire was "welded" to the mount after 100 rounds. Maybe it did but mine never had an issue. I'm also really good about scrubbing my mounts with a nylon brush and wiping off the rear portion of the van with a patch and CLP. Nothing crazy but a little goes a long way. I'm sure some silver antisieze would work too and I've seen it mentioned for QD systems

I do think the QD systems are necessarily more prone to getting stuck but they are more prone to being neglected due to ease of use. I've seen where people have claimed their Surefire was "welded" to the mount after 100 rounds. Maybe it did but mine never had an issue. I'm also really good about scrubbing my mounts with a nylon brush and wiping off the rear portion of the van with a patch and CLP. Nothing crazy but a little goes a long way. I'm sure some silver antisieze would work too and I've seen it mentioned for QD systems
I had a 2 different model QD's from silencer co on a saker 556 suppressor and they would lockup sometimes with 30 rounds or less and it didn't matter what I did to keep the clean and lubed. Finally out of sheer disgust I got the DT from them and have not had any problems since, of course the antisieze works well.

I am more secure in knowing that I'm not screwing a DT suppressor on and off the muzzle threads each time I shoot the rifle. Reduces the somewhat minuscule risk that I'd bugger up a muzzle thread if something went wrong.

👆 That would be my main reason for going with a QD. Booger up a $125 QD vs $1K barrel.

I had a 2 different model QD's from silencer co on a saker 556 suppressor and they would lockup sometimes with 30 rounds or less and it didn't matter what I did to keep the clean and lubed. Finally out of sheer disgust I got the DT from them and have not had any problems since, of course the antisieze works well.

I've never heard a rave review about a SiCo QD system. Surefire and Deadair are the two top QD systems. Not all QD are created equal

Thanks for all the replies...been turkey hunting all weekend and couldn't check in. Seems about fifty/fifty on what version to get. Another question, on the CB mounted version how many have had the brake come lose trying to remove the can? Watched a u tube of one the guy was shooting and went to take it off and the brake unscrewed. He said he red locktited it, but had issues getting it tight with the washers. Also I watch several test on the cans on a 300 wm the 7" was only 3db more quite than the 5" is 3 db that much to where I would have to use ear plugs? The guys doing the test said they would get the 5" based on it being lighter and only 3 db louder? They were using a very high quality tester.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies...been turkey hunting all weekend and couldn't check in. Seems about fifty/fifty on what version to get. Another question, on the CB mounted version how many have had the brake come lose trying to remove the can? Watched a u tube of one the guy was shooting and went to take it off and the brake unscrewed. He said he red locktited it, but had issues getting it tight with the washers. Also I watch several test on the cans on a 300 wm the 7" was only 3db more quite than the 5" is 3 db that much to where I would have to use ear plugs? The guys doing the test said they would get the 5" based on it being lighter and only 3 db louder? They were using a very high quality tester.

1) use rocksette not blue or red threadlocker. Threadlocker of any sort is only good if you properly degreased both surfaces. 2) I think thunderbeast has a test on their page with 300 win. Lots of factors into any suppressor testing. I'd look there and on the silencershop tests

only 3 db louder?

ONLY 3 dB ???

I wouldn't trust anything these guys say as they obviously do not understand the decibel scale. It is logarithmic, not linear. A 3db raise is actually a doubling of the sound energy and 23% increase in sound volume.

It's your hearing but I'm buying a 7". I probably would go to the 9" except that it hits the point of diminishing returns for me as it doesn't really gain me much on the smaller caliber precision rifle and the extra length on the magnum hunting rifle gets me over my maximum length limit when I get a barrel long enough to get to my velocity minimum. That said, I'm still wearing my electronic ear plugs when I'm shooting suppressed anyway. I have too many deaf/going deaf relatives not to. Add in the @$$4*\# who "accidentally" let loose a burst from a Ma Deuce 10ft from my head and I'm going to do what I can to protect what is left of my hearing.

Got to use a good barrel vise to get them tight enough.

ONLY 3 dB ???

I wouldn't trust anything these guys say as they obviously do not understand the decibel scale. It is logarithmic, not linear. A 3db raise is actually a doubling of the sound energy and 23% increase in sound volume.

It's your hearing but I'm buying a 7". I probably would go to the 9" except that it hits the point of diminishing returns for me as it doesn't really gain me much on the smaller caliber precision rifle and the extra length on the magnum hunting rifle gets me over my maximum length limit when I get a barrel long enough to get to my velocity minimum. That said, I'm still wearing my electronic ear plugs when I'm shooting suppressed anyway. I have too many deaf/going deaf relatives not to. Add in the @$$4*\# who "accidentally" let loose a burst from a Ma Deuce 10ft from my head and I'm going to do what I can to protect what is left of my hearing.

This is good to know, 3db doesn't sound like much but 23% in volume is definitely a lot.

You know that goes both ways....if your $125 brake is booger'd up, so's your $1,000 can.

If guys are nervous about screwing two things together buy a bolt and nut from your hardware store for $1 and practice, haha.
If you can thread a die into a press you can thread a suppressor on to a barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.