SCAR 20s

PatrickMadison357

Anyone have any experience with one? I have a 17s i'm looking to sell and get a 20s i'm really in the mood to juggle my collection up a bit. I use it for hog hunting in my summer home down in Texas but I want a new one this ones a bit older i've put about 900 rounds through it with my THOR on top of it and i've taken about 50 hogs with it but i'm getting bored of it and want to start out fresh again.

Attachments

• IMG9947.jpg
    IMG9947.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG9946.jpg
    IMG9946.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG9943.jpg
    IMG9943.jpg
    514.4 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG9944.jpg
    IMG9944.jpg
    517.2 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG9945.jpg
    IMG9945.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 84
I only had the 20. Personally I didn't like it. The weight bothered me and the 12 twist seemed like an odd choice. So I proceeded to build a better mouse trap. I bought AR10 match grade stainless 20 and 24 inch fluted barrels 10 twist with rifle length plus two inch gas tubes. Since these my first I was going to make gas guns and maybe later convert to piston. The 20 inch had a threaded end and the 24 had 11 degree target crown.

The added two inches to the gas port reduces the pressure hit for ejection because I intended on reloading full powered rounds.

The 24 was going to be a target rifle so I built it with a Hauge fixed stalk. the 20 inch got Hauge adjustable. The best forged parts and 3 pound single stage triggers. Both beautiful and lighter rifles than the bulky FN.

My pig and varmint round is the Speer TNT 125 grain HP. Very devastating. With TAC powder they chrono right at 3200 fps out of the 24 and about 3100 out of the 20 inch. I buy them in the 500 boxes. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2149663126?pid=712369

I played with 150 - 175 grain and found the 175 match burners to be the long range choice. CFE 223 and right at 2800 fps using rem or win cases. I bought a bunch of Lake City brass and they hold about 3 grains less water. So you have to watch reloading when using mil brass.

Oh, I sold the FN 20 and that money paid for my two AR10's

Last edited:
Patrick, I was just on the ER Shaw sight and they make a custom ERS 20 in 308 for under $1500. Might take a look at their web sight.

I used to pop primers in my SCAR 20 occasionally which would jam the rifle. Even at 3-4 grains under the max load. I suspected that to get accuracy that the scar had very little if any throat, so that factory mag length rounds were very near the lands. Causing over pressure. I also thought that maybe it had a tight chamber and using mil spec one shot brass without neck turning every single case led to popping primers. The SCAR 20 might have been made for factory only spec ammo. It was time consuming to free a jammed bolt just because of a little primer. It would wedge the bolt somehow and you couldn't even pull the charging handle back. I bought it new.

I just hate rifles/pistols that aren't reliable! :( I just offed it for $3200 and said good riddance. I've never had a popped primer since with my better mouse traps and i'm using all the rounds that I loaded way back when and even new stuff increased the power back up around max or where ever I dial it in.

Recent Posts