Savage/stevens 555 28ga forcing cone damage

Forcing cones are notoriously rougher than the bore. I believe Mossberg chrome lines these bores so be cautious with forcing cone reamers and such. If they have chrome lined over a roogh forcing cone that is exactly what you will get. A chrome lined rough spot. 50/50 acetone / atf should loosen any debris stuck at the forcing cone. Give it a try with a good soaking followed by a bore brush on a drill. Can't hurt.

Forcing cones are notoriously rougher than the bore. I believe Mossberg chrome lines these bores so be cautious with forcing cone reamers and such. If they have chrome lined over a roogh forcing cone that is exactly what you will get. A chrome lined rough spot. 50/50 acetone / atf should loosen any debris stuck at the forcing cone. Give it a try with a good soaking followed by a bore brush on a drill. Can't hurt.

Bet there are a lot of other shotguns that look just like that. Just nobody has looked. Shooting shot that is harder than the steel in the gun.
I just patterned my 20 auto with TSS and would have never thought to look until I saw this thread.
Some manufacturers have already lengthened their forcing cones. I have had a couple lengthened and they have definitely patterned better afterwards.
On that note I wouldn't sweat shooting lead out of it until you decide to have the cones lengthened.

I just patterned my 20 auto with TSS and would have never thought to look until I saw this thread.
Some manufacturers have already lengthened their forcing cones. I have had a couple lengthened and they have definitely patterned better afterwards.
On that note I wouldn't sweat shooting lead out of it until you decide to have the cones lengthened.
Cool thank u here's a pattern out of my Winchester 12ga sxp at 40 yards 3 in 2-1/4 oz my hand loads tss 650 Carlson choke 9-1/2 and 10 mix

Attachments

• IMG_4924.jpeg
    IMG_4924.jpeg
    270.3 KB · Views: 45
My 28 gauge CZ clone side by side said to not use steel/tungsten in the two tightest chokes, but I bought an aftermarket Carlson's full choke that is guaranteed to accept that kind of shot without damage. Found it at www.choketubes.com.

2 years back the manager at the state range asked me if it would bother me if I had to shoot steel shot at clay targets.
I said it wouldn't bother me because I would never shoot out here again. I quit Turtle dove hunting on state ground because they require steel shot. State biologist says that doves will eat the lead shot the falls on the ground.
My wife feeds birds, Doves and Geese in our driveway all the time and for some funny reason they do not eat the gravel they only eat the seed she puts out. We must have a smarter birds.

2 years back the manager at the state range asked me if it would bother me if I had to shoot steel shot at clay targets.
I said it wouldn't bother me because I would never shoot out here again. I quit Turtle dove hunting on state ground because they require steel shot. State biologist says that doves will eat the lead shot the falls on the ground.
My wife feeds birds, Doves and Geese in our driveway all the time and for some funny reason they do not eat the gravel they only eat the seed she puts out. We must have a smarter birds.
Birds do eat grit and gravel, that's what grinds the food in their gizzard. When a guy cleans a pheasant, if ya save the gizzards, got a cut em open to get out the gravel. Chickens, doves all pretty much same .

I shot some apex tss turkey loads and some of my 7/8oz tss handloads and this is the forcing cone damage is it still safe to shoot anyone else have this You can purchase the hydraulic press to remove that damage, but 1st the barrel would need to be tested up before inserting the press to.press out the dent.
Midway has had it for sale. After that's done, just need to have the barrel re-blued.
Or you can send it to Briley and have them do it, and have the cones removed (lengthened) and also have it magnaported as well

Probably safe to shoot, but I'd stop shooting the TSS. See how it patterns with normal lead shot. I have the sporting clays model 555 in 12 Ga. I love the gun. I don't remember seeing anything about not shooting TSS in the user guide.
I am a handloader because I shoot lots of sporting clays. I am interested in hand loading sub guage TSS for ducks so I have watched many You Tube videos on loading and patterning TSS and no one has even hinted of any problem. these are independent people not manufactures. if there was a barrel damage problem it would be widely published.

I am a handloader because I shoot lots of sporting clays. I am interested in hand loading sub guage TSS for ducks so I have watched many You Tube videos on loading and patterning TSS and no one has even hinted of any problem. these are independent people not manufactures. if there was a barrel damage problem it would be widely published.
How many know there is a problem? If you don't scope the forcing cone to look, you will never know. I'm sure there are others who are unaware about this. The tungsten shot isn't compressing like lead shot. Especially in sub gauges. I'm not trying to argue with you, just making observations.

How many know there is a problem? If you don't scope the forcing cone to look, you will never know. I'm sure there are others who are unaware about this. The tungsten shot isn't compressing like lead shot. Especially in sub gauges. I'm not trying to argue with you, just making observations.
I've shot 100s of tss turkey loads apex and my own handloads out of my win sxp 12ga no issues, stoeger mossberg Remington 870 and Stevens 301 no issues either for me it was only the sub gauges bc I don't think they are designed to shoot tungsten bc the forcing cones aren't long enough. Enless u buy a dedicated turkey gun in a sub gauge