Savage B.Mag 17 Winchester Super Mag Teardown

. One thing to remember is that the powder charge is only one of the variable components, primer, cases and bullets all vary.

That's a valid point. I would say with the bell-curve that OregonReloader weighed out it is probably safe to assume no major variance. A lot of stars would have to align for that kind of overall consistency in weight to occur with offsetting bullet/primer/powder inconsistencies. In the case of wider spread (like others have measured), it could be a factor for sure.

I weighed a box of 50 Hornady HMR 17gr ammo and there was only a .6 grain variation for the box. I was surprised to see such consistency for rimfire ammo. Could be why my savage 93 BTVS shoots .75" at 100yds all day long.

Glad you posted this, relieves me of my weighing commitment!

varminterH8R: I didn't take your comment as a negative. I think all of us here want to shoot more accurately and exchanges like this only serve to help.

gasperaz: If you have any photos of the mods you made, those would be appreciated. I'm salivating thinking about the possibility of getting the same groups as you are reporting.

varminterH8R: I didn't take your comment as a negative. I think all of us here want to shoot more accurately and exchanges like this only serve to help.

gasperaz: If you have any photos of the mods you made, those would be appreciated. I'm salivating thinking about the possibility of getting the same groups as you are reporting.

Oregon, Click on the link below and you can read about my work on my bmag.
If you want any additional info let me know, I will be happy to help out.
My 17 WSM results - RimfireCentral.com Forums

I got an email from UPS today saying my Boyds replacement stock for my BMag has been shipped and will be delivered Friday. It's the Featherweight Thumbhole Laminated model. I'll post photos and reviews as soon as possible. Hopefully I'll get a chance to shoot it this weekend.

Another thought on the ammo someone might want to try is measuring case rim thickness on the shells and group into like lots for testing. We used to do this with production ammo to get target ammo results. We did this by inserting the bullets nose first into a 223 case and measuring the overall length of both together. The body of the 17 WSM is about .275" so a 284 or 7mm case will work. The difference in the lengths will give you variations in the rimfire rim thickness.

Just a thought....

gsperez: Thanks for the link. Looks interesting. I'll put a few O-rings in my range bag--just in case--when I next go out. I sure wish I could find some 25gn ammo.

Stock came today and it's a beauty, now if the weather will cooperate I will get things rolling.
Has anybody had any problems with this set up? I hope not

I am not very tech savie but I will try to post some pictures if I can, but I will let you know how it goes. Just waiting on this crazy weather.

Yes it came with a plastic trigger guard but it's not flimsy, it's pretty sturdy. I bought a classic and it's the royal jacaranda laminate and it is a great looking stock . I can't hardly wait till I can put it together but I said that I would shoot some groups with my rifle in the factory black synthetic stock first., but this weather isn't cooperating at all and when I hit the range I don't think that I will be able to get back with it in the new stock, so it will take another trip which I don't mind a bit. I bought a 17hmr that's bore sighted and ready to go and I'm anxious to get it running also. Lots of irons in the fire but it keeps me out of trouble.

I have been viewing this topic for awhile. I am new to posting hear. I finally heard from my ffl today and am going tomorrow to pick up my bmag. I just got from optic planet the nikon coyote special 4-12x40 camo finish scope for $199 to mount on the bmag. I also already have 300 round of 20gr. I will look when i pick the gun up for the free float issue. If everything goes good i will mount the scope and clean, oil, shoot and report what kind of accuracy i get. If im happy with the accuracy i am going to dip the flimsy stock in camo

Stock arrived today so time to mount it up a few minor fitment issues. barrel is free floated to the end but rides more to the left side. The biggest problem is magazine is very tight and will not seat fully when it does seat you have to put your finger in the action and press it out the bottom. So I am going to pull it and do a little work then off to the range.. I will post back with the results. I am not doing any comparison from old stock to new as I already know it doesnt shoot great in the old stock. A few pics...

Attachments

• 20140124_102929.jpg
    20140124_102929.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 165
  • 20140124_102942.jpg
    20140124_102942.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 171
  • 20140124_102951.jpg
    20140124_102951.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 171
I like that tacticol stock. If it shoots good that is the one i am getting. Well picked up the bmag today. The barrel is not free floating. I sanded down the stock and when i was putting the trigger guard back on i realized the front magazine mount was broken. Cheap plastic . I mounted the scope with weaver tactical medium scope rings, and the bolt literally gets in the was of a smooth extraction by less then 1/32inch

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.