Salmon Season Cancelled - CA

last year they had a banner year out of the gate fishing salmon. Limits of hogs was pretty common. This will affect a lot of commercial guys and sport fishing fleet in the bay area. Guess there will be a lot more boats fishing halibut in the bay.

ITS AMAZING.....
the last four years have seen a huge 'drop-off' of returning steelhead and salmon from BC to CA.....and they are now saying something absurd....drought...
It has snowed in SW Oregon many times since I was over in Coquille at Tioga Timberline Taxidermy painting fish....
...loggers were being shutdown because the roads in the coastal mountains were to deep with snow to travel log trucks with trailers....couldn't turn corners...
....so a little bs about drought when the Sierra of CA are above normal depth of snow.....heck here in idaho some of the accumulations have registered 200%..
In places there is 400" of snow on the ground.....
But back to the fish....nobody has come up with any reasoning of why the fish numbers have plummeted....
..and yet the mouths of the rivers up and down the coast line are full of California sea lions.....eating what fish do try to return....it's time to kill sea lions on sight...ship them to the starving polar bears to keep them from attacking humans...seems logical...let Peta pay for it all.....

Steelhead used to look like this... IMG_4054.jpg
But now there are more stripers in the rivers than ever before....say goodbye to salmon and steelhead smolt...along with native cutthroat trout..catfish..minnows..crawdads....
nothing is safe.....

@26Reload if I could like your post 1000 times I would. I grew up in Northern California, spent my childhood fishing the Sacramento River. Back in the 90s stripers (non-native species) only ran up the river in the summer. There were salmon beds every year in the riffles. Steelhead fishing was great….now you can catch stripers year round. CA has a size limit and 2 fish per day for stripers. CA cares nothing about the native species as long as they see $$$. Between stripers and squawfish you can barely drag a rapala through a hole without getting a hit. Trout and salmon don't stand a chance.

@26Reload if I could like your post 1000 times I would. I grew up in Northern California, spent my childhood fishing the Sacramento River. Back in the 90s stripers (non-native species) only ran up the river in the summer. There were salmon beds every year in the riffles. Steelhead fishing was great….now you can catch stripers year round. CA has a size limit and 2 fish per day for stripers. CA cares nothing about the native species as long as they see $$$. Between stripers and squawfish you can barely drag a rapala through a hole without getting a hit. Trout and salmon don't stand a chance.
Same experience here. Spent the last 28 years up in Nor Cal and remember the 90's where salmon and steelhead fishing in the Sac and American were spectacular! They need to rid the size limit (>18") on stripers and increase the daily bag limit to like 5 or something instead of 2. Them stripers are the reason why salmon and steelhead fry have no fighting chance. I haven't bothered with fishing for salmon since early 2000.

Same experience here. Spent the last 28 years up in Nor Cal and remember the 90's where salmon and steelhead fishing in the Sac and American were spectacular! They need to rid the size limit (>18") on stripers and increase the daily bag limit to like 5 or something instead of 2. Them stripers are the reason why salmon and steelhead fry have no fighting chance. I haven't bothered with fishing for salmon since early 2000.
I agree, the striper limit does need to be raised, but the sea lions are thick in the delta now. Those fur bags put a hurt on the adults heading up river.

I agree, the striper limit does need to be raised, but the sea lions are thick in the delta now. Those fur bags put a hurt on the adults heading up river.
I've seen them plenty of times choppin' on some fat stripers and sturgeon when fishing in the delta and Sac river. One time, was walking the dog with the family at the American river parkway and saw a sea lion there. Started filming it as it chased down and ate 2 big fish; presumed they were carp or something since they were yellowish.

Recent Posts